Uh...Vista's Better than Linux

Story: Linux Desktop: Seven Leading ProductsTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
devnet

Apr 02, 2007
5:29 PM EDT
with Root access? They've been in the game, what, less than a year now and they're better with root access already? How the hell did that happen? I'm referring specifically to nuggets of wisdom on this page: http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3668...

Quoting: One of the allures of Linux is that it is not nearly as riddled with security flaws as Windows. Many mistakenly believe, though, that Linux is trouble-free. Not so. In fact, in one area – root access risks – Vista is superior to Linux. While hackers will never target Linux as fervently as they do Microsoft products, this doesn’t mean Linux users are free from risk.

What a tool. Sorry buddy, logic dictates that we look at this one and cry foul...yet his horrible assumptions continue:

Quoting:Without controls in place, nearly anyone can gain root access to Linux accounts, which not only creates a serious security risk but also threatens your compliance with industry regulations. The most dangerous accounts are those given to your IT staff, giving them so-called “super-user” status – meaning they can access just about any organizational information they want.

[sarcasm]Yeah, now that's completely true...My Linux box is totally compromised because it is so easy to gain root access.[/sarcasm] What is this guy smoking again?

I can hack any NT System in a matter of minutes...seconds even. But I can't hack a Linux box in that time...it takes some brute force to do that and that can take hours and even days. This guy is a total moron. Yet he continues to make a case that he's not just a moron, but a large and babbling moron at that:

Quoting:While the risk related to outside threats is certainly less for Linux environments, it’s not zero, and risks from insiders are just as bad, if not worse, than with Windows systems.

Worse? Data please? Inside? How could he know this? How many all Linux environs has this guy been in? I'll bet not a one. Perhaps some Netware environs but that'd be about it.

Not to mention that this Symark PowerBroker® is just a front end for good old group membership and auditing tools/log readers already present in the default Linux system.

Then he goes on like NFS and rsync don't even exist...and touts Acronis True Image. I swear...

And of course, Linux needs Userful’s]http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3668... Desktop Multiplier because afterall, it doesn't have multiple desktops on its own right?

Please, Please, Please....no more posts from this author ever again. What he knows about Linux and a subway token could get him on the subway.
hkwint

Apr 03, 2007
8:58 AM EDT
Thank you for your remarks. I added a small warning to our lead of the article, saying it's flawed. At the moment, we don't have an official policy for this, though we are discussing it:

http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/24925/
jimf

Apr 03, 2007
9:50 AM EDT
On LXer we know it's ignorant, but, many in business and the general public believe the lies and spin. Better that we publicly expose lying MS propaganda like this, even if it does get repetitive.
devnet

Apr 03, 2007
11:28 AM EDT
I started to chuckle when I read it and my wife thought I was crazy. I had her read a few select parts of it and she started to chuckle too. She loves her some PCLinuxOS.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!