Search Tool

Story: History Repeats Itself - Linux Again Kicked To The CurbTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tracyanne

Apr 05, 2007
8:46 PM EDT
Yes the community has been kicked in the teeth once again by Google.

Just a comment on kFind/Beagle/gnome-search-tool. I jst ran some quick tests of the three search engines, after setting beagles index params to search more directories.

I searched for a file that's on my file server but accessible via a share, KFind found it in about 15 seconds, Beagle almost immediately returned a not found and gnome search was still searching after almost a full minute. based on that I'll be using KFind in future.
helios

Apr 06, 2007
5:48 AM EDT
There is obviously a disconnect between kfind and TIKBO (This Idiot Key Board Operator). Let me play around again with kfind...although I have expended hours cumulatively doing so. Maybe I just ain't holding my mouth right.

h
jsusanka

Apr 06, 2007
6:00 AM EDT
might want to try tracker too - that is what I use - don't know if it is the fastest one but it does the job and takes up less resources than beagle.
tracyanne

Apr 06, 2007
3:25 PM EDT
I assume we are talking about the same program. On my Mandriva set up it's available on the KDE main menu under Find -> Find Files

It opens a window titled "Find Files/Folders"

There are 3 tabs "Name/Location" (the default), "Contents" and "Properties"

if you enter a filename, or a partial filename followed by a "*" and click on the "Find" Button, it will search for a file, or files in the part of the filesystem defined in "Look In" - in my case /home/tracy" (and since the share on my fileserver is accessible as a folder under my home directory kfind will search the relevent part of the filessystem on my fileserver, provided I have the checkbox "Include subfolders" checked)

the Contents Tab allows you to enter text that will be found in a file.
tracyanne

Apr 06, 2007
3:30 PM EDT
I assume we are talking about the same program. On my Mandriva set up it's available on the KDE main menu under Find -> Find Files

It opens a window titled "Find Files/Folders"

There are 3 tabs "Name/Location" (the default), "Contents" and "Properties"

if you enter a filename, or a partial filename followed by a "*" and click on the "Find" Button, it will search for a file, or files in the part of the filesystem defined in "Look In" - in my case /home/tracy" (and since the share on my fileserver is accessible as a folder under my home directory kfind will search the relevent part of the filessystem on my fileserver, provided I have the checkbox "Include subfolders" checked)

the Contents Tab allows you to enter text that will be found in a file.

Currently Listening to Jeff Wahl - "Guitarscapes" http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/wahl-guitarscapes/hifi_p...
helios

Apr 06, 2007
6:43 PM EDT
Nope...followed those directions to a "T" although it is what I've been doing all along. It's as quiet as a tomb...

Ken
tracyanne

Apr 06, 2007
10:59 PM EDT
That's interesting I posted twice, the second time with the additional sentence.

Dunno, kfind has always worked fine for me, albeit a a little slow on older versions of KDE. On this version 3.5.4 it seems quite fast.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!