Ah, but does "OpenXML" from Microsoft qualify"

Story: California is trying to pass an open document requirement for all of it electronic documentsTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Apr 12, 2007
8:29 AM EDT
The "open XML" makes me very concerned, since that is the name by which Microsoft has labeled their closed binary-only format of the future.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 12, 2007
9:27 AM EDT
No. If you read the article it's very clear:

Quoting: (1) Interoperable among diverse internal and external platforms and applications. (2) Fully published and available royalty-free. (3) Implemented by multiple vendors. (4) Controlled by an open industry organization with a well-defined inclusive process for evolution of the standard.

OOXML fails on all four points. Point 1 and 2 could probably be sleazed around

1) with the translators OOXML is interoperable with OpenOffice and ODF. 2) OOXML itself is freely available. Just some components that it relies (i.e. referenced) on are not.
Abe

Apr 12, 2007
9:41 AM EDT
Quoting:(1) Interoperable among diverse internal and external platforms and applications.

Item (1) should read "100% and fully Interoperable ..."

Item (2) should read "Fully published and available royalty-free including all internal & external inserts"
Bob_Robertson

Apr 12, 2007
1:47 PM EDT
I'm sure that Microsoft will find a way to make it seem to qualify to the legislators, no matter how much they cost.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!