rijelkentaurus

Apr 15, 2007
12:10 PM EDT
KDE

Begin the flame wars!!
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 15, 2007
12:15 PM EDT
OK People, If were going to talk about which one is really better then there is only one answer..

Linux

Any Desktop Environment is better the Windows.
rijelkentaurus

Apr 15, 2007
12:19 PM EDT
Quoting: KDE

Begin the flame wars!!

GNOME

Begin the flame wars!!
rijelkentaurus

Apr 15, 2007
12:22 PM EDT
Quoting: Any Desktop Environment is better the Windows.

True. I don't mind which I use, I set them up almost exactly the same so that in the end there's no difference. I don't use the menu, I have a run command in the toolbar and type in what I want to run. I just want access to whatever program I want (I love Konqueror!!), so if I need them both installed then so be it. I'll change just for the heck of it sometimes, too.

Having choice is a cool thing.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 15, 2007
12:33 PM EDT
Quoting:(I love Konqueror!!)

Me too. I have used Konqueror more than any other Open Source program, outside of Firefox. In my journey of learning file management and directory structure in Linux it has been Konqueror that I have learned it with.

I would say that it is the one program I "have" to use, that's if you want Scott to find stuff or get anything done..

Its a crutch, but its a nice crutch.

:-)
techiem2

Apr 15, 2007
1:22 PM EDT
Fluxbox + Eterm running Screen! Yup. That's pretty much my environment. I run a few gui apps like firefox, thunderbird, gnucash, k3b, etc. But most of my time is spent in console in irssi for irc/im (yay bitlbee!) and command line/mc for file and system management. (and running stuff in screen gives me access to that stuff when I'm elsewhere...like work...)

As for full on DEs, I tend to lean more towards gnome than kde simply because it tends to use a little less desk space. Both seem fairly usable to me and of course both have great apps built for them (which of course generally run fine under fluxbox).

Hooray for choice!
hkwint

Apr 15, 2007
1:23 PM EDT
Quoting:KDE vs. GNOME: Is One Better?

That's the question.

/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux is the answer.
Egon_Spengler

Apr 15, 2007
2:05 PM EDT
XDM/twm for the WIN! :-D
devnet

Apr 15, 2007
2:10 PM EDT
What's a window manager? You mean there's something other than the shell?

Holy Crap, when did this happen?

Translate: that's what happens on these window manager wars...everyone digresses back to the most minimal window manager and it supposed to mean they're l33t.
rijelkentaurus

Apr 15, 2007
2:17 PM EDT
Quoting: and it supposed to mean they're l33t.

But I am l33t!!!

Or something....
hkwint

Apr 15, 2007
3:20 PM EDT
Quoting:everyone digresses back to the most minimal window manager and it supposed to mean they're l33t

Hmm? You mean Beryl isn't l33t too? Now, you realllyyy make me sad, d'ya know?
azerthoth

Apr 15, 2007
3:24 PM EDT
Fluxbox users unite!!!!!
jimf

Apr 15, 2007
3:54 PM EDT
> Fluxbox users unite!!!!!

What's this about Fluxbox users igniting??? Sounds dangerous to me.
tuxtom

Apr 15, 2007
4:11 PM EDT
AfterStep, Baby!
rijelkentaurus

Apr 15, 2007
4:52 PM EDT
You know, I actually used TWM with CentOS for a while at work...the machine I was using was too old to run well with anything else. It's a bit more addictive than you would think. It's nice when nothing really gets in the way of doing business.
DarrenR114

Apr 16, 2007
5:27 AM EDT
That's the way you do it - money for nuthin' on your Flux DE.

( with apologies to Dire Straits )
Sander_Marechal

Apr 16, 2007
12:55 PM EDT
Quoting:GNOME

Begin the flame wars!!

Yup! But I must say that KDE4 has me pretty excited so far. The dratted thing is that I invested so much in GNOME already. I'm not going to like porting my stuff to KDE :-/
tracyanne

Apr 16, 2007
1:15 PM EDT
Quoting:and it supposed to mean they're l33t.

Pretentious, more like.
jimf

Apr 16, 2007
2:17 PM EDT
> I'm not going to like porting my stuff to KDE :-/

Porting? You mean stuff actually written in gtk? Or just apt settings? If it's just the settings, you have no problem using any gtk apps in KDE. So, keep your home directory.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 16, 2007
3:17 PM EDT
I mean stuff actually written to the Gnome/GTK platform. I.e. http://www.gnome-hearts.org
jimf

Apr 16, 2007
4:20 PM EDT
Will it run independant ot the desktop? I'd think that would be important anyway. Heck, my Mother would like that one :D
dek

Apr 16, 2007
4:48 PM EDT
I. Use. Emacs. On. Gnome. Does that make me l33t? ;-)

Don K.
dinotrac

Apr 16, 2007
6:16 PM EDT
I use KDE, though my Ubuntu tryout box has GNOME.

Definitely prefer KDE. Easier to spell, no harder to pronounce.
jimf

Apr 16, 2007
7:01 PM EDT
> Easier to spell, no harder to pronounce.

Wow Dino, I gotta remember that one :D
Sander_Marechal

Apr 16, 2007
9:42 PM EDT
Quoting:Will it run independant ot the desktop?

I am not sure. I haven't written it to be desktop independent. But I don't use many GNOME specific things besides glib and glade (e.g. no gconf and all that). Tere are the GNOME specific dependencies: libgnomeui-2.0 gtk+-2.0 libglade-2.0 glib-2.0 gmodule-2.0. That last one should be part of glib on most systems.
jimf

Apr 17, 2007
12:51 AM EDT
> well, it runs on KDE... the shortcut link doesn't work, but with /usr/games/gnome-hearts called, it works fine. Now if I just understood the game :D
dcparris

Apr 17, 2007
6:17 AM EDT
> Easier to spell, no harder to pronounce.

Ah, simple pleasures for simple minds. :-D

/ducking and running...
dinotrac

Apr 17, 2007
6:44 AM EDT
>ducking and running...

Aw rev, no need to hide out for speakin' the plain truth. Leastways, not til I manage to make my way down to the Carolinas!
jdixon

Apr 17, 2007
1:23 PM EDT
> Leastways, not til I manage to make my way down to the Carolinas!

What's up Dino, you in the mood for some barbecue? Maybe another picture of the pig?
NoDough

Apr 17, 2007
1:30 PM EDT
>"What's up Dino, you in the mood for some barbecue? Maybe another picture of the pig?"<

You'll have to find another pig. Don and I finished that one off.
dcparris

Apr 17, 2007
1:47 PM EDT
Actually, it's getting to be pig-pickin' season again. hmmm...
Sander_Marechal

Apr 17, 2007
2:35 PM EDT
> Now if I just understood the game :D

There should be a help file in DocBook with the game explaining the rules. It's usually installed in scrollkeeper (GNOME's help) but you should find it at /usr/share/gnome/help/gnome-hearts/C/gnome-hearts.xml or alternatively on my website at http://www.jejik.com/hearts/users/

Or simply read any howto for MS-Hearts. Mine works the same way.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!