A new twist

Story: A Linux for the rest of us?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Apr 17, 2007
2:13 PM EDT
Now here's a distro with a new twist :-) I've seen it done before, but not quite so well. I could see this being of good use to internet cafe's and the like. Both for easing their support work (more profit) as well as selling Babel accounts to their regular customers (added value, more revenue). Nice :-)
jimf

Apr 17, 2007
2:24 PM EDT
> store their data online in the "BabelBank

Lol, how stupid do you think people.... AH... Ok, so it would probably be a roaring sucess.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 17, 2007
2:46 PM EDT
jimf: If you read the full project description you'll see that's just one option. Local storage is also available if you want. Even pre-built in the form of an USB drive. The online storage option would be handy for internet cafe regulars though, but not for mom & pop at home. I think this distro is mostly geared to internet cafe's and similar public PC's (libraries).
vainrveenr

Apr 17, 2007
4:03 PM EDT
On the remote chance that somebody reading this cannot figure this out, jimf is obviously being sarcastic ;-) sander: It seems from the Lxer forum on 'Transfer files to your Gmail account with Gspace', http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/25036/, that storing data online in *any* form is "A Bad Thing". As jimf wrote earlier today on this
Quoting:Well, If I have to choose one over the other, it sure wouldn't be MS. Still it's pretty stupid from my view to store your files/information where you have virtually no legal assurance of ownership or privacy or even security. I'm positive that, if they all go bye bye tomorrow, you'll be up a creek without a paddle.
FWIW to emphasize this, the first babellinux article itself basically describes babellinux as essentially a stripped-down/"tailored" modification of Ubuntu with those "seven most common applications" left in the distro. There is also a minor issue here regarding privacy/security with babellinux's offsite account storage and its pay-per-use model. Although according to http://www.babeldisk.com/buy.php there is no current charge for the backed-up storage of network files, the pay-for-use model does indeed require a Basic Registration fee for [initial] service *plus* an ongoing Basic monthly fee for continued service.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!