This gives me a great idea for promoting Linux...

Story: Dell is not the spoon.Total Replies: 11
Author Content
Penguin_Pete

May 02, 2007
12:55 PM EDT
Why don't we start a $350,000 dollar campaign to promote desktop Linux? It's simple, we just get people to pledge to at least buy the cheapest Linux system that Dell offers ($699). Round that up to $700... if we just get 500 people to participate, that would be 500 x 700 = $350,000.00 worth of Linux promotion. Dell sees that there is US market demand for Linux and beefs up its offerings, and everybody who participated got a computer out of it (and who among us couldn't use a new one anyway?).

How could this lose? Win-win for everybody!

(-: I just couldn't resist...
softwarejanitor

May 02, 2007
1:43 PM EDT
Nice idea Pete... however I just bought a brand new Linux laptop (Micro Star "white box" custom built), so my hardware budget is shot for a while.
dcparris

May 02, 2007
2:02 PM EDT
I'll support that idea. At least it's a productive one. I can't buy a computer, but I don't have a problem supporting people who want to promote Linux.
tuxchick

May 02, 2007
2:44 PM EDT
You first, Penguin Pete. Show us you're more than a click-hungry libelous mouth.
jdixon

May 02, 2007
3:19 PM EDT
> we just get people to pledge to at least buy the cheapest Linux system that Dell offers ($699).

That's exactly what I plan to do, but I expect the price to be $450 or less, since the Windows equivalent system is $408, and the only upgrades will be to a DVD burner and a 250 GB hard drive. Those two upgrades shouldn't run more than $70, and I'd hope the discount for not buying Windows and not getting software technical support is at least $30. If it's more than $450, then I'll build my own machine instead, since I can do that for about $300.
bigg

May 02, 2007
3:40 PM EDT
I plan to, but am waiting to see what they offer. If it's nVidia video cards and Broadcom wireless they can forget it.
herzeleid

May 02, 2007
5:26 PM EDT
Quoting: I plan to, but am waiting to see what they offer. If it's nVidia video cards and Broadcom wireless they can forget it.
hmm, if they offer nvidia video and intel networking hardware, I'm all over it. Best of the best, that works for me.
schestowitz

May 03, 2007
2:43 AM EDT
Penguin_Pete, out of this room, young man.
devnet

May 03, 2007
6:22 AM EDT
Pete,

If you hashed out the details and had a good plan...you'd get my support...regardless of your disdain for me personally. I don't hold grudges and Linux can't afford them :)
Penguin_Pete

May 03, 2007
4:51 PM EDT
devnet goes "I don't hold grudges"

Har har hee hee ho ho ha. Notwithstanding your various barbs, such as your inflamed remarks on my "Ubuntu is not Linux" postings on this very site ("Do I smell glue? Because he's been sniffing it."3/28/07), as a recent example? I still haven't found out which mysterious party traveled the web from end to end posting links to the posts on various websites lying "this is proof that Penguin Pete hates Linux!!!" Just before tux500 launched, coincidentally. Should I look into that next? By the way, note that I, unlike some, do not scream wolf/libel about what you say about me.

Not that I could care less; you can't grapple with high philosophical (and controversial) concepts on the Internet and expect to have everyone love you. I can live and let live with enemies, as long as they aren't launching a 24/7 hostile offensive. But the fact remains, you, personally, seem determined to stand waaaaay out of the crowd by being unable to go for a very long time without doing backflips to get my attention. So you can publicly complain to everyone when you get it.

I keep pointing out; all I did was speculate about tux500 in the first place. Just asked an innocent question. Was very careful not to name you or helios. Right away: bam, you're in my face, yadda yadda yadda. Without that, that one post - asking the question and discussing it with my readers, would have ended right there. I barely even thought anything of your involvement before that.

You don't want to hold grudges? Let's see ONE SINGLE SOLITARY WORD FROM ME POSTED ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET THAT ISN'T IMMEDIATELY TROLLED BY DEVNET. Stay out of my face for a while, and I'd forget you ever existed - it's happened before! Is that so hard? Don't you have other things to do?

My annoyance at you amounts to the same as an irritation from a splinter. When it's out, it's gone; nothing personal. That's what you're mistaking for "disdain". YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO EARN MY DISDAIN. Annoyance mixed with bemusement and pity is all you get. Deal with it, stalker.

As for the buy a Dell idea, I posted "tongue in cheek". I see some discussion of how helios "has a problem" with Dell (like we didn't see that coming?), so, I guess that was shut down already - possibly before I posted.

What a hopeless waste of time bantering with you is. My break's over, I have to get back to work. See you next year, when you'll be standing outside my house passing out petitions to have me banned from the Internet or whatever scheme you're hatching next.
dcparris

May 03, 2007
4:59 PM EDT
This sniping ends right here. Right now. Not one more word, either way. Period.
tracyanne

May 04, 2007
2:24 AM EDT
Yes I'll buy one if I can. I doesn't look like the DELL Linux machines will be available in Australia.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!