Digg community imploding in widespread revolt

Story: What Happened to Slashdot?Total Replies: 15
Author Content
henke54

May 03, 2007
5:36 AM EDT
Quoting:one of the hex codes for decoding HD-DVDs was posted online, on the popular site Digg. That story was removed from the community-driven news site. All hell proceeded to break loose, with nearly every popular story on the site being about the takedown, the reprisals, and a general massive flame war. See picture.
http://www.secondpagemedia.com/confundo/index.php?showtopic=...

and a 'brave' answer from the founder of Digg here : http://blog.digg.com/?p=74

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/...

(off-topic) : what happened with Tom Adelstein ? i do not notice him here anymore lately.....?
helios

May 03, 2007
9:22 AM EDT
I miss Tom. He sent me a nice email telling me to get fscked because I did not support him in his hour of need. I was sure most everyone at that time understood that I was undergoing both chemo and Rt's and was a tad bit under the weather. Yet, I know how deep emotions can run when ones feelings are hurt. LOL...that may or may not be further demonstrated on the 28th of May.

h
jimf

May 03, 2007
9:41 AM EDT
> what happened with Tom Adelstein ?

Tom did some good work here. I suspect that his passion and subsequent frustration with the way things are, as opposed to how they should be, in the Linux community lead to a certain amount of job burnout. That's something that a many of us can relate to. I'm glad to see he's still in the fight.
hkwint

May 03, 2007
10:44 AM EDT
> what happened with Tom Adelstein ?

Tom had bigger plans than LXer was ready for at the time. That didn't work out, and sadly (I say so because Tom put a lot of effort in LXer, and I'm grateful he did) we were 'forked' from then. Gladly, Don was found willing to take over the job of EiC, which led us to where we are today.
dcparris

May 03, 2007
1:22 PM EDT
I am grateful to Tom for the opportunity he has given me here. Unfortunately, he chose to turn down an opportunity offered and leave LXer. I was not made aware of why he made that decision, but that's life. That decision opened the door to further opportunity for me, so I have to be doubly grateful.
jimf

May 03, 2007
1:44 PM EDT
@Don

Lol, I think everything worked out for the best.

I remember 'some of us' gave you a heck of a rough time at first. I know we're all sorry about that. Truth is that everyone has a different style of management, and we needed to get past that. Your style has proven to be just what this forum and the site needed :D
jdixon

May 03, 2007
1:54 PM EDT
> Your style has proven to be just what this forum and the site needed :D

The primary detail of which being a large tolerance for topic drift. What was this discussion about again?
dcparris

May 03, 2007
2:25 PM EDT
Thanks guys!

What do you guys think of the Digg story?
tuxchick

May 03, 2007
2:33 PM EDT
I think henke's habit of posting off-topic story links in the forums is becoming annoying. Hello the story link is thataway.

I think these are ridiculous times we live in, and it's way too easy to create un-Constitutional laws, and way too hard to overturn them, and people are just plain chicken and run for cover even when no one is after them. Shame shame shame. Land of the what? Home of the who? Sheesh, not even close.

I think this thread has zero to do with Tom's story.
henke54

May 03, 2007
2:59 PM EDT
>I think henke's habit of posting off-topic story links in the forums is becoming annoying. Hello the story link is thataway.

i thought Tom's quote : "Notice how Digg came out of nowhere to challenge Slashdot" was 'someway of a connection' between those stories....that's all...sorry if i interpreted that wrong ....
jimf

May 03, 2007
3:01 PM EDT
Well, I agree with Tom, but thought it was a bit obvious. Slashdot hasn't existed for me in eons. In his words,' nothing here, move on'.
dcparris

May 03, 2007
3:08 PM EDT
Why am I missing the connection between this story and Tom?
henke54

May 03, 2007
3:14 PM EDT
>Why am I missing the connection between this story and Tom?

there is none...that's why i preceded my question about Tom with : >(off-topic)< ;-P
jdixon

May 03, 2007
3:19 PM EDT
BTW, Don, my comment was intended as a compliment to you, not a criticism of the discussion. The discussion just happened to be a perfect example. I just re-read it and realized it could be taken either way. I seem to be having a problem with that this week.
dcparris

May 03, 2007
4:08 PM EDT
I must have understood you correctly then. Either that or my ego's getting too big. :-)
dinotrac

May 03, 2007
6:21 PM EDT
>Either that or my ego's getting too big.

Getting?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!