Prettier Icons and option for Mettise

Story: Beryl on Mandriva 2007 SpringTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
tracyanne

May 09, 2007
4:06 AM EDT
But this was available on Mandriva Linux 2007.0, which came out in October 2006. Having the choice of ise is good though. It's an interesting desktop,especially the windows that roll up like a carpet to get out of your way.
salparadise

May 09, 2007
5:02 AM EDT
Quoting: It's an interesting desktop,especially the windows that roll up like a carpet to get out of your way.

Also called "shading" and is nothing to do with 3d windowing, unless I'm mistaken. This has been an option in KDE/Gnome/Enlightenment for at least 4 years.

It is the most convenient, logical way to deal with multiple windows that I've used and changing the double click action on title bars in Gnome/KDE to "roll up" is about the first thing I do on any new install.

Windows users who see it are usually agog with wonder and want to know straight away how they can have it on windows. Windowblinds offers this feature on some skins and possibly some of the desktop replacements (AstonShell, Talisman etc). It's been a while since I was skinning windows to escape the endless grey rectangles so things may have changed some.

(Edit: On normal X desktops (ie, with no beryl) the roll up is more of a snap. Under Beryl it's much more fluid and graceful).
dcparris

May 09, 2007
7:28 AM EDT
Absolutely right Sal. I've used shading since at least 2000. When I clicked on the Window menus, I saw the then unfamiliar shading option. Didn't know what it was, but figured to give it a try. Pretty darned cool; if you could that with MS, I have no clue how.
tracyanne

May 09, 2007
1:30 PM EDT
No, the Mettisse effect is not shading. Any window that is overlaying the window you are using will literally roll up like a carpet in any plane, as you move the mouse or the text cursor towards it, and rollback as you move away from it.

You will have to try it to see what I'm talking about. There are several live CD versions available.

Another interesting aspect of Mettise is the ability to copy/paste with only two mouse action Select and Paste, instead of the usual select copy paste.
dcparris

May 09, 2007
2:14 PM EDT
Well, that is different. My bad.
Sander_Marechal

May 09, 2007
2:25 PM EDT
Here's a video of the Metisse effect. Looks quite useful, as opposed to some Beryl effects.

http://www.dailymotion.com/related/1743503/video/x11e0x_mand...
jdixon

May 09, 2007
2:48 PM EDT
> Another interesting aspect of Mettise is the ability to copy/paste with only two mouse action Select and Paste, instead of the usual select copy paste.

Eh? I've been able to do that for years. That's what the middle button is for. Now, admittedly, it doesn't always work...
dcparris

May 09, 2007
4:17 PM EDT
Metisse is obviously too sexy for my job's webfilters. ;-) Sigh!
Sander_Marechal

May 09, 2007
10:11 PM EDT
Quoting:Eh? I've been able to do that for years. That's what the middle button is for. Now, admittedly, it doesn't always work...

Eh no. In between the select and paste you usually have to switch windows or applications. With metisse you don't have to because the top window automagically folds away for you to select whats underneath and rolls back again for you to paste in the top window. The innovation is in the window switching, not in the actual copy/paste action.
jdixon

May 10, 2007
5:43 AM EDT
> The innovation is in the window switching, not in the actual copy/paste action.

OK, that I will grant, but that's not what tracyanne said.
Sander_Marechal

May 10, 2007
7:14 AM EDT
True. But that's the way that Mandriva marketed the effect. See my dailymotion link above.
tracyanne

May 10, 2007
2:12 PM EDT
Thank you JD, I didn't know you could do that.
jdixon

May 10, 2007
6:46 PM EDT
> Thank you JD, I didn't know you could do that.

De nada, tracyanne. Consider it payment for learning the use of white ant as a verb. On a good day, you learn something new.
tracyanne

May 10, 2007
11:46 PM EDT
I can add that to the list of things I can't do on MS Windows.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!