mainstream article on tux500...bit of help if you would

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 53
Author Content
helios

May 09, 2007
6:05 AM EDT
Hey folks,

The Indy Star just did a really good piece on the tux500.com project. since Bob and I are project leads, they will probably kill the digg article if its posted by one of us. Would someone just write a one sentence blurb on it and post the link to the article on digg. Then we can "digg storm" it. At this point, I am willing to bypass any arguments on digg storming until a later date.

thanks a million.

Ken

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070509/...
SFN

May 09, 2007
6:06 AM EDT
Just a thought. Somebody should claim the original digg here so that there aren't 80 of them.

EDIT:

Matter of fact, I've got it.
SFN

May 09, 2007
6:12 AM EDT
Here you go:

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Indianapolis_Star_Open_source_wan...
helios

May 09, 2007
6:13 AM EDT
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar...

There aren't many of us left. ;-)

Ken
SFN

May 10, 2007
8:22 AM EDT
OK, so 24 hours after I posted a digg story on this, I get this:

Quoting:Your account has been disabled due to misuse.

Not sure what that's about and I'll be checking it out but that means no more digg story. Someone may want to find a way to get it back on there - all the while knowing that they may lose their account.
SFN

May 10, 2007
8:30 AM EDT
Um...guys?

I just did a search on Tux500 and found an article posted by devent. When I clicked on his user link, I received

Quoting:Invalid User Provided

You don't suppose........
helios

May 10, 2007
9:36 AM EDT
You don't suppose........

Bingo

This is too funny...better head over to petes...he's called out the Marines
devnet

May 10, 2007
9:36 AM EDT
Odd...my account has been disabled due to 'misuse'

I wonder what I did to misuse it?

I haven't logged in since digging ken's Indy Star article yesterday. Now I'm disabled.

Looks like they've removed our original dugg article also...after over 50 diggs :(

Is digg trying to sabotage Linux here?
jimf

May 10, 2007
9:57 AM EDT
> Is digg trying to sabotage Linux here?

Lol, digg that :D
devnet

May 10, 2007
10:00 AM EDT
A Ha...I guess PP (pee pee as I like to call him) must have made an anonymous tip to digg regarding referring to a 'digg storm'

That must mean that all accounts attached to this are disabled. Oh well...I don't mind.

Funny part is that I dugg this story 11 minutes afer it was submitted...which means I dugg it waaaaaaaay before any comments in this thread were made. That's too funny.
Abe

May 10, 2007
10:03 AM EDT
Quoting:he's called out the Marines

Follow the money trail, "he's called MS" would be a better guess!
SFN

May 10, 2007
10:07 AM EDT
digg support is responding. Let's see what they come up with.
SFN

May 10, 2007
10:31 AM EDT
Well, well, well. Here's their reply:

Quoting:Your account was banned for violating the digg Terms of Service (digg.com/tos) that you agreed to.

"By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree not to use the Services:

with the intention of artificially inflating or altering the 'digg count', blog count, comments, or any other Digg service, including by way of creating separate user accounts for the purpose of artificially altering Digg's services; giving or receiving money or other remuneration in exchange for votes; or participating in any other organized effort that in any way artificially alters the results of Digg's services."

The offending link is provided below:

http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/25218/

We will unban your account if you agree to not engage in practices like this again.

--Digg Support

Sounds like Pete's work to me.

I asked digg support to provide any evidence they have of me doing any of those things. We'll see.
dcparris

May 10, 2007
10:45 AM EDT
Well, helios did mention a "digg storm" in his first post. That was not too smart.
SFN

May 10, 2007
10:55 AM EDT
Well, sure but that in no way violates the TOS as stated.

They are talking about "artificially inflating" the count. What helios did was to ask everyone to go digg the article. That exactly what those little digg buttons do. If they are going to say that by using the term "digg storm" (with quotes around it even!) he went from spreading the word to artificially inflating the count then quite frankly, pardon my obfuscated French, f@$k 'em. (Notice the lack of quotes around that phrase.)

Personally, I would find it hilarious if a group of people who are keeping the AACS Encryption key online in the name of free speech would kill this story along with a number of users' accounts over the tongue-in-cheek use of the phrase "digg storm".

EDIT:

And while we're at it: Me? Yeah, OK. Whatever. But why devnet?
devnet

May 10, 2007
10:58 AM EDT
Well,

I dunno...I guess because they saw I was the first commenter on the article.

I didn't post in this thread until AFTER my account was killed today. Yesterday, I dugg the article and posted it in MY forums over at mypclinuxos.com...I call that spreading the word...not violating their terms of service.
jdixon

May 10, 2007
11:13 AM EDT
> I call that spreading the word...not violating their terms of service.

As would I. Hmm, makes me glad I've never bothered setting up a Digg account.

Added:

Obviously they're saying it violates "or participating in any other organized effort that in any way artificially alters the results of Digg's services.", but calling a post on another site and organized effort would be a serious stretch.

> Sounds like Pete's work to me.

I would agree. We know he monitors threads here. I'm sure he would jump at the chance to get the various accounts suspended.
SFN

May 10, 2007
11:15 AM EDT
Just in case anyone wonders how it played out:

Quoting:Oh, please. In what way is that artificially altering the results? What planet are you people on? Wait, let me guess. This guy's planet?

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=tux500_crew_ca...

Welcome to Collusionville.

I'll pass on pretending I did anything wrong to appease you. It's not remotely important to me to have a Digg account.

--- Digg Support wrote:

This is clear evidence of your fraud http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/25218/. When you signed up for Digg this is what you agreed not to do "*or other remuneration in exchange for votes; or participating in any other organized effort that in any way artificially alters the results of Digg's services.*"

-The Digg Support Team.

Adam Shephard wrote: I didn't do any of that. Please provide any evidence you have to indicates that I did. --- Digg Support wrote:

Your account was banned for violating the digg Terms of Service (digg.com/tos) that you agreed to.

"By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree not to use the Services:

with the intention of artificially inflating or altering the 'digg count', blog count, comments, or any other Digg service, including by way of creating separate user accounts for the purpose of artificially altering Digg's services; giving or receiving money or other remuneration in exchange for votes; or participating in any other organized effort that in any way artificially alters the results of Digg's services."

The offending link is provided below:

http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/25218/

We will unban your account if you agree to not engage in practices like this again.

--Digg Support

Adam Shephard wrote:

SFNative --- Digg Support wrote:

What is your user name? --Digg Support xxx@xxx.xxx wrote:

Bug Reported Login: anonymous Email:xxx@xxx.xxx Page: http://digg.com/login Description: I just tried to log in and found this: "This Account is Disabled Your account has been disabled due to misuse."

The only activity on my account recently has been the posting of a link to an Indianapolis Star article about the Tux500 project. In what way does that constitute misuse?
ottawalonndon

May 10, 2007
11:18 AM EDT
> Well, helios did mention a "digg storm" in his first post. > That was not too smart.

A capitol presumption dear bloke! Did you go over what Pete wrote about you and helios in his blog, eh?

yesterday "DC Parris of LXer to Linux community member: shut up!"

today 'tux500 crew caught rigging Digg - with screenshots!"

what a bl*** mess this is!
helios

May 10, 2007
11:20 AM EDT
Fellas, this is ok...really it is. I would not ask you to get to rough on Pete...

The last time he launched a "Link Storm", it increased our donations by 12%...

And yes...digg storming is a popular method. I just used it in public. My bad.

Look...this project is a winner already. If we don't collect another dime, we are assured at least 50K in car real estate...don't ask questions, just accept it. Secondly, Linux has in the past two days been given exposure to millions. Yesterdays Indy Star article and the one currently at the Blog of helios. You might want to go take a look at that. so nothing got "Killed" here but someone's credibility. With the help of you all, we have fairly well achieved our goals. I don't think our credibility can be reasonably called into question...unless you are using to grind an axe....then maybe...

Boy, if people are upset by this campaign, wait till they see what's next.

get your seats now...

h
jdixon

May 10, 2007
11:21 AM EDT
Well, if they do consider this thread to be an organized effort to alter their results, then they're so completely out of touch with reality that it completely destroys their credibility as a source of information.
bigg

May 10, 2007
11:22 AM EDT
Digg is not all that interesting to me anymore anyway. They've devised so many rules that it's not really a matter of the stories of greatest interest getting on the front page. This is just further evidence.
devnet

May 10, 2007
11:28 AM EDT
Well...I just have one question regarding PENGUIN PETE's smear campaign...only one question.

WHY?

Linux is getting a huge BOOST in media exposure...why the hell does he care about this project?

So they don't make the 25k? So what? They've already got an honorary position on the nose cone...and as helios said above, they've got a 50k sponsorship that was given to them...that's cool as crud!

I think I've seen, and correct me if I'm wrong helios, that if you don't make the sponsorship you plan on refunding or donating to a few causes? So...Linux wins again!

So...once again...WHY? Why would Pete smear this entire campaign when it's giving Linux a TON of media exposure?

Makes me think about who Penguin Pete is and what team he's batting for ya know?
jimf

May 10, 2007
11:33 AM EDT
> Digg is not all that interesting to me anymore

It seemed a very flawed concept from the very begining. I really wonder who (besides the koolaid crowd) actually using or taking digg seriously?
SFN

May 10, 2007
11:50 AM EDT
Quoting:so nothing got "Killed" here but someone's credibility
The only credibility I see getting killed here is digg's. They took themselves so seriously that they let a malicious prankster con them into screwing over a couple of their members.
Abe

May 10, 2007
12:24 PM EDT
Quoting:they let a malicious prankster con them into screwing over a couple of their members.

Why let them stop there. Lets all get our accounts killed. Unfortunately I don't have one! At least not that I recall.

Sander_Marechal

May 10, 2007
1:45 PM EDT
Even more surprising: I still have my digg account. But then again, I didn't post in this thread that I dugg it.
tracyanne

May 10, 2007
1:56 PM EDT
Penguin Pete really doesn't like you devent, cos H still has an account there.
devnet

May 10, 2007
2:14 PM EDT
tracyanne,

It's odd too...cuz I wrote an article that caused him to change his mind. I used to be in his blog roll...until that article. Very silly too...he said that the word 'elitist' is the same as 'n!*ger' and 'k!k3'.

So, according to Penguin Petian logic (if there is any) I was being a bigot/racist. It's not been the same since.

Honestly though...his blog is insignificant...most people don't know it or he exists. So I'm pretty happy...I probably get more unique visitors in a day than he does a month...so in the end, I don't give a rats hiney what he or his agenda set out to accomplish...I just don't like it when he smears something that will benefit Linux.
jrm

May 10, 2007
6:28 PM EDT
I hope I'm not intruding, but does this whole thing strike anyone else as very sad?

I thought the internet would be a tool that let me interact with interesting people who I would never meet otherwise. That turns out to be true, but unfortunately you also end up interacting with people like Paranoid Pete. You never know what might set somebody off. It could be starting a marketing campaign, or it might just be the number of letters in your login name.

Okay, I'm done with my rant. I think I'll go buy part of a penguin for the side of an Indy car...
tracyanne

May 10, 2007
9:39 PM EDT
The entire article appears to have been removed from digg
SFN

May 11, 2007
4:20 AM EDT
Yep. It got tossed along with my account.

Fortunately, someone else - presumably someone less nefarious than I - posted a dupe later that day so there is still a digg story about.
helios

May 11, 2007
6:41 AM EDT
SFN - No good deed goes un-punished. You simply got caught in a crossfire and took a nick. For that I am personally, publicly and sincerely sorry. You tried to do a good thing. Now, do these "rules" apply to "link storming" websites and blog comments? If so, we may have a case of a pot naming a kettle black here." But then again, that seems to be ok...

h
SFN

May 11, 2007
6:52 AM EDT
No need to apologize here. .Them saying "we won't let you play our little reindeer games" is more comical than anything.

Storming is what digg is all about ("I just posted this! Everybody come look at it so I can get points!") but when you do it the normal way - by telling people about it - you're a "fraud".
devnet

May 11, 2007
7:06 AM EDT
Yeah...it's rather comical to say the least.

I've noticed that there has been suspicious digging on digg since the beginning. Maybe if we had been one of the 'elite 7' or so people that always get their articles dugg to the front page we'd have been ok ?

http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/134-The-Dirt-on-Su...
Scott_Ruecker

May 11, 2007
8:16 AM EDT
Hello everyone, unfortunately what we are doing violates the Digg TOS. By using this thread to get people to Digg the article my account was disabled by the Digg team.

In order to be able to use Digg.com we cannot do what we are doing here to "inflate" an articles digg count.

I don't like it but it is true, we are sort of advertising an article on Digg.com to get people to vote on it.

We should not do this again. Send e-mails privately to each other when you want to get people to digg an article, there is nothing in the TOS about that..

Scott
jdixon

May 11, 2007
8:33 AM EDT
> unfortunately what we are doing violates the Digg TOS.

Well, I don't have a Digg account, so I never agreed to any of their TOS. Of course, that means I can't post or vote on Digg stories. Given this (over)reaction, I don't consider that to be anything worth worrying about.
helios

May 11, 2007
9:31 AM EDT
Yeah Scotty, I already said that It was my bad...a temporary lapse in good judgement fueled by the possibility of some real success in this effort. Here's the funny part. My digg account was still active. Until 20 minutes ago. I cx'ed it immediately after I discovered it was still active. Again group, My bad and I apologize.

h
devnet

May 11, 2007
11:05 AM EDT
[slaps on Penguin Pete Patented Stupon-O-Tron Helmet]

Don't forget that catching you guys doing this digg storm totally justifies ALL of my ideas about tux500 and invalidates the entire project! Because people that do digg storms are people that lie, cheat, steal, and scam everyone! It proves it! It proves Tux500 is a sham! Crooks! There isn't even a CAR...YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A DRIVER! That sticker on the car can't be for Linux because you didn't raise 25k! Devnet is totally in on everything and is cross posting your articles EVERYWHERE! He doesn't have a new job or isn't in the process of moving at all! He totally has all the time in the world to do nothing but devote time to Tux500!

Who cares about all those articles out there gracing the covers of publications that have great journalistic integrity!...They're liars darn it! Liars! It's the biggest sham of the century!! And only I am the one that brought this to light! I broke the story! Read my blog! Click my ads! Listen to me! I speak for Linux! You don't speak for Linux! I'm the community watchdog! I have to make sure that no one is stepping outside of MY defined limitations for what is kosher or isn't for the Linux community! If a project actually helps Linux but is supported by someone I have a personal vendetta against, I'll pee on it's ashes after I burn it! Who cares if Linux is actually getting exposure like the project set out to do! Since I didn't think of it and I have devnet and devnet's friend is helios and it's helios' project, It deserves to be crapped on!!! die tux500!!! die!!!

[removes helmet]

Ahh....much better. My IQ just went back up...oh how I hate drooling on myself when that thing is on. I also hate wearing that thing because I start to think everyone is out to get me and my sentences don't flow coherently. Then I start to babble quite a bit about idiotic things. Much better to just be normal.

helios

May 11, 2007
11:16 AM EDT
leaves to change under-garments....
jdixon

May 11, 2007
11:18 AM EDT
> Much better to just be normal.

I doubt anyone who posts to LXer as much as you do can be considered "normal", devnet.
Scott_Ruecker

May 11, 2007
1:50 PM EDT
I just want everyone here to understand that I do not agree that what we are doing is "wrong", its not.

Its just against the Digg.com TOS. That's all..

I am not upset that this happened. I am just letting you what happened to me.

Scott

tuxchick

May 11, 2007
3:14 PM EDT
devnet, you owe me a keyboard. :)

**edit** And Digg is dumm. I spew scorn in their general direction.
jdixon

May 11, 2007
3:20 PM EDT
Scott:

> Its just against the Digg.com TOS. That's all..

It can be interpreted to be against Digg's TOS. It can also be considered a minor violation and a stern warning be issued, with the account suspended upon a second violation. I'd like to think that's how LXer would handle an equivalent transgression. There was no effort to "alter their results", save via publicity.

Needless to say, I don't think their reaction was reasonable or appropriate.
jezuch

May 11, 2007
3:53 PM EDT
The Digg model is flawed anyway. To easy to abuse and too easy to accuse of abuse. I'm totally happy to totally ignore them.
SFN

May 11, 2007
5:39 PM EDT
Regarding the notion that this was an effort to alter their count (and yes, I do realize that this is imply their interpretation of the event), in what way is asking people to go vote on a story any different than getting one of their little digg buttons and putting it next to that story?

Allow me.

It is in no way different.

You're welcome.
bigg

May 13, 2007
7:16 PM EDT
I just visited Digg. Their top story, with 4139 diggs, is titled, "No end to Madeleine family agony - Please digg this as high as possible."

The summary is, "Come on and use the power of Digg to make sure this gets distributed as far as possible all over the world. After all, this is the kind of thing we can do for just a small amount of our time. And hopefully, the image of Madeleine and her distinctive right eye might just be enough to help find her."

This childish selective enforcement of the rules is yet another example of how the quality of digg has dropped of *a lot*. This is by no means unique.
techiem2

May 13, 2007
7:48 PM EDT
heh. Someone should report it for violating the TOS....
SFN

May 14, 2007
4:26 AM EDT
Quoting:Someone should report it for violating the TOS
Done.
bigg

May 14, 2007
7:43 AM EDT
Just checked, it's up to 5503 diggs. Obviously asking for diggs in the title is acceptable. Or maybe just when it gives high school students a fuzzy feeling thinking they are doing something special by digging the article.
SFN

May 14, 2007
11:41 AM EDT
Quoting:Obviously asking for diggs in the title is acceptable.

That I could see. But in this case, we have someone asking people to digg the story on another website.

http://reddiggulo.us/No-end-to-Madeleine-family-agony-Please...

Digg has been notified of the fraud (their words, remember) and has chosen to ignore it.
helios

May 14, 2007
12:05 PM EDT
give me the approximate time and then the date you notified them por flavorio
SFN

May 14, 2007
12:29 PM EDT
Mon, 14 May 2007 05:25:46 -0700 (PDT)

Approximately. :-)
helios

May 14, 2007
12:55 PM EDT