*My* top 5 distros should be the title

Story: Top 5 Linux DistrosTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
kozmcrae

May 11, 2007
11:15 AM EDT
His title is a little misleading. Although he does qualify his wording in the later on, that's not what people see in Google Blog Search.

I understand that the methods Distrowatch uses to measure popularity are somewhat flawed, but it does carry some weight. With that understanding in mind, PCLinuxOS has been in the top 5 for that past 12 months. And is currently the in the number one position. Knoppix, meanwhile, has not occupied a top 10 slot for the last year. I use PCLinuxOS but its popularity is my concern only in that it can keep it going. Winning a contest doesn't matter, usability does.
jdixon

May 11, 2007
11:24 AM EDT
Hey, think of how we poor lowly Slackware users feel. Our distribution may as well not exist as far as folks like him are concerned.
helios

May 11, 2007
11:29 AM EDT
The Ripper Gang have taken two highly undeserved hits in the back-blogs and comments lately. One is that the release is taking too long on .94 and the second is that it isn't debian-based. I have a hard time believing that this is justification, but then again I have to admit switching to the Debian-based distros myself. The ONLY reason is that I believe debian will be the base for the linux model of the future...and therefore most mainstream hardware support. but then again, if I was psychic, I wouldn't be working Linux Server Tech Support for a Living now would I, LOL.

PCLinuxOS is a fine distro. For those that are waiting on it, I would just say to them to be patient. Those guys want perfection...besides, if something is not working right, they will be axed..."why did you release it if it wasn't ready...?"

They can't win.
jdixon

May 11, 2007
11:45 AM EDT
> One is that the release is taking too long on .94...

Maybe a valid complaint, but if they want something on time they can always use Vista, right?

> ...and the second is that it isn't debian-based.

No, it's not. And their point is?

Mandrake/Red Hat makes every bit as good a base to build on as Debian (or Slackware for that matter). If they want a Debian base then use Mepis or Ubuntu already and be done with it. Sheesh.
azerthoth

May 11, 2007
11:58 AM EDT
Those same people knocking the release of PCLOS 2007 are probably the same ones knocking the release timing of Debian Etch. Personally I have had PCLOS 2007 installed on my laptop since RC1 and it has been rock solid for me, it also beats *buntu all hollow.

I just wonder when everyone who authoritatively proclaim this or that distro THE best will understand that its truly a subjective opinion. Not to knock RH and derived distros, but in my personal opinion you have to pay me cash money to touch RH, Cent, White Box, ect. Thats just my opinion though.
hughesjr

May 11, 2007
12:54 PM EDT
hmmm ... we at CentOS like this guy though, it seems :P
number6x

May 11, 2007
12:59 PM EDT
Isn't .94 doing a library upgrade? That would mean a lot of recompiling in the repositories and a lot of regression testing.

Are the people complaining developers? Maybe they are PMP's or something.

:)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!