Here's one explanation

Story: To the Naysayers: What Have you Done Lately?Total Replies: 9
Author Content
bigg

May 15, 2007
8:55 AM EDT
Linux users mostly fall into the "free as in freeloader category". To suggest that they make a donation is to go against their principles. The only benefit of Linux is that the price tag is $0. Free software is an abstract concept that only freaks care about.

It's also nice to tell Windows users they are wrong. It's fun to tell anyone that they are wrong about anything.

When it comes to actually sacrificing for the community, you have gone too far.
kozmcrae

May 15, 2007
9:58 AM EDT
But why, then, heap stinking piles of abuse on the people who are trying to do something. After all actively participating in ruining reputations takes work. That doesn't portray a freeloader. Working at something takes focus and energy. No. it portrays someone with an agenda, unknown for the time being.
jdixon

May 15, 2007
10:24 AM EDT
> Linux users mostly fall into the "free as in freeloader category".

I wouldn't say mostly, but there's at least a significant minority. I will even admit that the fact that Linux is free is one of the primary reasons I use it. I try to support my distribution by buying a copy every few years, but that's about it money wise. Simply put, computers are fairly low on the budget totem pole, and if it costs a significant amount of money, I simply do without. The $450 I've allocated for the possible purchase of a Dell Linux machine is at least 25% more than I'd normally spend.
dinotrac

May 15, 2007
10:26 AM EDT
>After all actively participating in ruining reputations takes work.

In a manner of speaking, yes it does...but...

It takes nowhere near the work nor the ability required to actually put something good together, as Ken and his partners did.

Even petty vandalism takes work. If you want to knock down somebody's mailbox, you've got to get over to it, deliver the blow, then get out of Dodge.

P. Pete, better known as Chicken Chet, is nothing but an online vandal, in some juvenile and misguided quest to build his own rep by tearing down the work of others.
thenixedreport

May 15, 2007
1:52 PM EDT
It appears that he has a personal vendetta against helios for some reason or another. By looking at who Pete is focusing on, one would come to the same conclusion that I have. Anything involving helios is automatically bad in his eyes, and it therefore must be destroyed.
kozmcrae

May 15, 2007
5:49 PM EDT
>P. Pete, better known as Chicken Chet...

Perhaps he could be dubbed "Putrid Pete".
dcparris

May 15, 2007
6:14 PM EDT
I don't really see the point in dubbing him anything at all. Just leave him alone.
dinotrac

May 15, 2007
6:25 PM EDT
>I don't really see the point in dubbing him anything at all. Just leave him alone.

Sometimes, ya just gotta have a little fun.
ottawalonndon

May 15, 2007
7:37 PM EDT
>Just leave him alone. dcparris: Another capitol idea! But I ask you who else can indeed refrain from leaving him alone?

His latest weblog post is _Does Tux500 violate the Linux trademark?_ You can see from this that he is no longer attacking you personally, old chap, as he did in one of his last posts.

Do note that one of the allowed commentators to his site did indeed mention a donation to the Drupal project in lieu of the beloved Tux500 project. Again, I ask you who here can now manage to refrain from leaving him alone?
jdixon

May 16, 2007
1:06 AM EDT
> ...who here can now manage to refrain from leaving him alone?

Well, as far as I can remember, I've never made a post on Pete's site, and I've definitely not made any posts thee since he started tilting at the Tux500 windmill.

Now, I'm not going to just sit by and let him spread his venom on LXer without comment, but that's another matter.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!