Myth about GNU/Linux

Story: Five Tired Old Myths About GNU/LinuxTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
janvl

May 24, 2007
3:46 AM EDT
I have a system with Kubuntu 6.06 LTS and I have a video-camera from Sony. With Win XP home I could not get the video-capture to work, tried it 4 times but the 1394 firewire connection did not "see" the camera, a mail to sony and MS did change anything, I quote "it should work" but how they did not tell.

Now I connected it to my Kubuntu-box, within 1 hour I had it working with Kino, even emails get answered within half a day.

Updating WinXP almost always wants to reboot the system, Kubuntu almost never. Both have automated updates (it is easier that way).

So as a user Linux has become more easy than windows is my experience. I once updated from Win98 to WinXP pro that was a disaster, lost about 4000 files.

Updating Ubuntu 5.10 to 6.06 was a breeze. Took me just 3 hours and a half mostly for the download and then 2 or three minor things did not work that were really easy to fix.

The main problem is that for example canon does not bring linux-drivers. So I do not buy canon-printers any more, I now have an HP and am perfectly satisfied.

I know linux since 1999, it was not that bad in those days, even with a good working GUI, now it is simply a superior product from which MS could learn a thing or two . . .(-million!)

Jan

bigg

May 24, 2007
6:39 AM EDT
Jan: Sounds like we've had similar experiences. I know there are some things without Linux drivers. However, it's to the point now that I buy cameras, wireless cards, etc. when they go on sale at the local store without worrying about compatibility.

I also try them out with Linux first, because as you say, it's usually plug and play. Normally a new camera will be detected properly by name and "just work". That doesn't happen with Windows.

In the last 18 months I can only think of one bad experience. I bought an ATI TV Wonder 200 card at Best Buy and it didn't work. Later I found that the card was detected incorrectly by the kernel, and after a simple fix, it works without needing a driver with any Linux distribution.
softwarejanitor

May 24, 2007
10:23 AM EDT
> The main problem is that for example canon does not bring linux-drivers. > So I do not buy canon-printers any more, I now have an HP and am > perfectly satisfied.

FWIW, even if there are not 'official' Canon printer drivers for Linux, I have had no trouble getting Canon printers to work under Linux including color printing. I am currently using an iP6000D which is a very nice printer, and the ink cartridges are very reasonably priced compared to many other brands.
Aladdin_Sane

May 24, 2007
10:43 AM EDT
>>FWIW, even if there are not 'official' Canon printer drivers for Linux, I have had no trouble getting Canon printers to work under Linux including color printing.

True, but under "official support" (like when calling Dell (servers) and Canon) back and forth, the only answer is "not supported." Too bad for Canon.
d0nk3y

May 24, 2007
5:22 PM EDT
I purchased a Canon MP780 (scan/copy/fax/print) thing a few years back without checking linux compatibilty (unfortunately).

I'm biased towards Canon stuff - I used to work there years ago.

Anyways, with Feisty, I can now even print double-sided, from each tray and I've been able to scan since Edgy. So, linux is definetely getting better - even for 'unsupported' devices. :-)
timnic

May 24, 2007
10:43 PM EDT
I agree with much of what was said here, but I think one thing that this writer did miss is the negative effect the name GNU/Linux has on anyone who is new to the world of Linux. I think the problem with that name is three fold.

1 - It is very difficult to know how to pronounce it, should it be pronounced GANOO or as 'NU or as G N U - Confusion about brand naming is a big no no in any market place. People saying LINE-UX rather than linux is also a bad thing. Ford have this problem in the UK with a car they called KA - The media still take the mickey out of the name some 10 years after its launch.

2 - It sounds geeky - GNU is not a common word, and putting the name of an animal in front of a brand name seems a little Weird - Imagine if M$ had called their latest OS RHINO/Windows rather than Windows Vista - Whatever you think of the product, you have to admit the name is catchy - GNU/LINUX could never be described as catchy.

3 - It highlights the inability of the community to understand the importance of product placement and branding. It is inability that really holds Linux Back. Why does GNU need to be in the name, sure they make a kernel into an OS, but then so does Xorg but we don't call it XORG/GNU/LINUX do we? - The product needs a good name and a good logo. I think Linux and Tux meet that requirement whereas GNU/Linux is not the sort of name anyone could get excited about in a positive way.
purplewizard

May 25, 2007
2:29 AM EDT
Timnic I think your second point dubious. How geeky really is using an animal when other places use things like fruit "Apple"? And how geeky is using something that is already a word compared to sticking together your own meaningless combination of letters XP, NT?

It makes me think it is purely a brand issue that everyone who has touched a computer in the last ten years has probably encountered Windows. It's familiar.

I think branding is well understood by Linux vendors. The problem is starting way back from the position of the entrenched opposition who also have nice high towers with machine gun posts to keep you pinned down where they can.
dinotrac

May 25, 2007
3:48 AM EDT
>I think one thing that this writer did miss is the negative effect the name GNU/Linux has on anyone who is new to the world of Linux.

I think it has nearly zero effect because nearly nobody calls it that.
dcparris

May 25, 2007
6:59 AM EDT
You suggest I missed something. It seems you have missed something. I fall into the "Free Software" camp. I use the term GNU/Linux fairly consistently because GNU (Gnu's Not UNIX) is at least partly how we got the Linux kernel. Didn't Linus use the GNU tools in its development? Frankly, in a country where I see Chrysler/Dodge/Mitsubishi on car dealership signs, I don't see a problem with GNU/Linux. More importantly, you are entitled to your opinion - that won't change my position. But no, I haven't missed a thing. I've been writing about GNU/Linux for some time now.

Cheers!
Scott_Ruecker

May 25, 2007
7:34 AM EDT
I guess I go both ways on this, I understand that the hard 'G' sound is not what one would dream of when creating a catchy brand name but there are brand names out there that sound a lot worse.

When I introduce people to it I refer to it as just Linux because I know it is easier to remember than GNU/Linux. Anyone who takes the time to learn more about Linux comes to know that it is also called GNU/Linux as well.

I understand too that the GNU developers deserve credit for their work but anyone who actually uses Open Source Software is already giving them the respect they deserve by using and telling others about the software they use.

Oh by the way, my boss is letting me dual boot Debian 4.0 and XP on my work machine, I am installing it today!

Another goal achieved, to get people at work to see it running and working..

Scott

Abe

May 25, 2007
8:37 AM EDT
Quoting:GnuLinux

I think RMS never cared about marketing (he probably does know what is or totally irrelevant to him). Otherwise he would have found a much better name. I personally rarely use Gnu/Linux.

May be RMS should start calling it GLinux. That should work and take care of the problem.

bigg

May 25, 2007
9:23 AM EDT
> I think RMS never cared about marketing

You're probably right there. The whole GNU/Linux thing seems odd to me because I don't view the name as the place to give credit for contributions. You might say GNU/Linux if there were other versions of Linux, otherwise I don't see the point. Unfortunately, I came to the party too late to have a right to an opinion on the matter.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!