Not unhappy with Windows, eh?

Story: Five Tired Old Myths About GNU/LinuxTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
dinotrac

May 24, 2007
4:32 AM EDT
Rev -

I need to tell you about the server I use with one of my partners.

It's an HP server, about a year and a half old.

Very nice piece of equipment. Dual core xeon running at 3.4 ghz, with a second slot available. Hardware SCSI raid, with three drives in place. Hot-swappable redundant power supplies, hot-swappable disk drives, hot-swappable fans -- and lots of them. The whole thing can be easily and quickly disassembled without tools.

I'm not telling you this to brag or to make you wish you had one, or even to review the hardware. I'm telling you this because of how we got it.

My partner has been working with small manufacturers for several years now. This machine was a Windows 2003 server owned by one of his clients. The client finally got so exasperated at Windows that he pulled the plug and replaced it with a Mac server (he already had Mac desktops). Not needing the box, he gave it to my partner. It now runs Ubuntu. We are very happy with it.

kozmcrae

May 24, 2007
6:28 AM EDT
Your story illustrates just how ingrained the concept of software=computer is in peoples' heads. I'm shaking mine right now.
dinotrac

May 24, 2007
7:05 AM EDT
>Your story illustrates just how ingrained the concept of software=computer

Nah. The box's original owner understands the difference very well. He just made the choice to go Mac. WIth nothing to run on it, the box became expendable to him.
doc_doofus

May 24, 2007
4:10 PM EDT
>Your story illustrates just how ingrained the concept of software=computer

No doubt! A co-worker asked me for some help with a winpc recently. When I started asking questions about software/OS they didn't have a clue! Too many pc users don't know the difference between the office suite, browser and OS. So often, the response is along the lines of "I don't know, I just click the 'button' and it goes."

It's sad, but hey! I'm doing my part to help shine the light of knowledge into the dark recesses of computer ignorance in my little community.
d0nk3y

May 24, 2007
5:26 PM EDT
Yeah - if I had a dollar for the number of times I was told "I'm running Windows 2002 at home" - I'd probably have about $50.
dcparris

May 24, 2007
5:44 PM EDT
When I ask people what software they are using, they will often tell me "it's all Microsoft". Look at the system and you'll notice they're running MS, Intuit, Adobe, and software from a dozen other companies. Yet, it's all Microsoft to them.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!