Too many distros?

Story: Five Tired Old Myths About GNU/LinuxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
TimSmithCA

May 25, 2007
7:38 AM EDT
>I haven't heard all that many people complaining about not being able to choose a GNU/Linux distro. I >can't recall the last time a newbie posted a note sayin, "I can't figure out which distro to choose. I'm off to >reinstall Windows".

The most common question on the forums.computeractive.co.uk linux section is "Which distro should I install, I'm confused?" I'm not suggesting that Linux become just the one distribution, but the sheer number is offputting to newcomers. You're right that Linux is much better suited to the ordinary user than it was, hence Computeractive decided to run an OpenSource Academy recently at http://www.computeractive.co.uk/2173591. You're also right that it's hardware venders that must take some of the blame for lack of hardware support. Still, we can take comfort from the fact that when devices are not supported in a new version of Windows, it is Microsoft that takes the heat from readers than too, it's not just Linux. Kind regards Tim

bigg

May 25, 2007
7:52 AM EDT
Two things:

1. The author of the blog was saying that Windows users stick with Windows because there are too many Linux distributions. That's different from saying that too many distributions cause confusion.

2. The criticism should instead be on the hurdles faced by a new Linux user due to poor documentation. We've talked elsewhere about the stupidity of lists of Live CD's and distro choosers.

The real problem is that you do a search on Google and up comes a document of someone saying, "Well, I don't recommend Linux distributions, because the beauty of Linux is that you have choice." They then proceed to ramble for six pages about software freedom and the Microsoft tax and how stable Linux is as a server OS. One nice thing about the Ubuntu phenomenon is that newbies focus on one distribution that largely works, has great forums, and has much good documentation.
dinotrac

May 25, 2007
8:25 AM EDT
bigg -

1. Different but related. Turns out choice is a good thing, but only up to a point. Too many choices tend to frustrate us, especially if we lack the information to make what we consider to be an informed choice. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that it discourages some people from dipping their toe in the water.

2. Yes. Re:Ubuntu -- it ain't nothing special so far as distros go, but people flock to it. That is enough to make it special.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!