re: eatting your own dog food

Story: "Eating Dog Food"Total Replies: 3
Author Content
hughesjr

Jun 04, 2007
6:35 AM EDT
I think that this is a good concept ... if your business is selling M$ related programs and services, you SHOULD use M$ in the workplace.

If your business is providing Linux support, software, services ... then you should be using Linux in your infrastructure.

Personally ... If I am shopping for a product produced by someone, if they do not use that product in production themselves, then I certainly wouldn't use it either.

You should "eat your own dog food" so that all your employees can see and use it on a daily basis. Makes it much easier to support it in the long run.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 04, 2007
6:41 AM EDT
Quoting:Personally ... If I am shopping for a product produced by someone, if they do not use that product in production themselves, then I certainly wouldn't use it either.

Can you say: Microsoft SourceSafe? :-)
pogson

Jun 04, 2007
9:50 AM EDT
hughesjr wrote:"If I am shopping for a product produced by someone, if they do not use that product in production themselves, then I certainly wouldn't use it either."

In this case the guy producing the product is not selling to you but some distributor is. If a distributor had only one line of products they would be pretty fragile.

Knowing how abusive M$ is of their partners, I would be sympathetic with the distributor.

Software is a commodity and we should not imply motive or recommendation to a distributor. Even M$ does not warrant its product to be fit for any purpose. Why should we ask a distributor to do that?

Linux is interesting. Novell and IBM decided it would be good for business and for sales to use Linux internally. They both learned about migration that way, which was good.
Aladdin_Sane

Jun 04, 2007
11:51 AM EDT
Somehow, Logistics of Distribution just was not the point I had in mind when I wrote that.

But even Logistics would benefit by standardizing on Linux.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!