tuxchick

Jun 08, 2007
9:48 PM EDT
Shhh! This is a thinking zone!

Aladdin_Sane

Jun 08, 2007
10:57 PM EDT
"On purpose"

You are referring to the original. The messenger has carried the message. Hopefully to be slain.

Hence MS shouts. Why, I wonder?

To quote myself in my original post at Groklaw: "Is there some reason they are shouting? How are we to sleep?"
Sander_Marechal

Jun 08, 2007
11:04 PM EDT
Aladdin, I think Tuxchick is referring to the use of ALL CAPS in the title. I agree it's distracting.
Aladdin_Sane

Jun 08, 2007
11:22 PM EDT
No, I disagree. To change the story title would be...disingenuous at best. Check the story, that is really how it is titled.

The distraction is on purpose by MS (or their ad agency) I feel. The form is intended to distract from the substance, or lack thereof. So far it is doing a good job in this thread.

The substance of their message is to get "more" definite on patent infringement in Open Source. They specifically call out OO.o as infringing.

Sander, if I posted a story by you, I also would not change the title. It is not within my editorial scope as a poster.

The story is FUD, of the most insidious kind. It is the Big Lie. I was hoping to see some challenge to it.

The reference in the June 7th, 2007 story is to a 2 month old story that has been previously talked to death, and well deservedly forgotten about since. They act like it is new, and somehow worth shouting about as a means of their "freedom to innovate." I personally don't see the link, unless it is "freedom to step on FOSS."
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 09, 2007
12:19 AM EDT
We let the caps slide this time, and it is FUD for certain.

But if everything he submitted was like that it would get changed, trust me sander.

I am just giving you a hard time Aladdin.. ;-)
dinotrac

Jun 09, 2007
3:43 AM EDT
>The distraction is on purpose by MS (or their ad agency) I feel.

Ummm...If you had checked in the newsletter archives, you would discover that that is simply the style they use for headings. for example:

TECH TIP: MANAGE YOUR COMPUTER AND WEBSITE PASSWORDS THE FIN PULSE

Keep the wording...that's fine. BUT THE FREAKIN' CAPS ARE UNJUSTIFIABLE. We don't use Microsoft's software. We don't have to use their idiot stylings, either.
Aladdin_Sane

Jun 09, 2007
6:03 AM EDT
>>But if everything he submitted was like that it would get changed...

ok
tuxchick

Jun 09, 2007
6:56 AM EDT
I should have made it clear I was whining at the story author, not Aladdin_Sane. Of course stories should be posted unchanged- let their annoyingness speak for itself.
dcparris

Jun 09, 2007
7:52 AM EDT
Should I change it back then? I changed it before I read this thread. It hurt my eyes.
dinotrac

Jun 09, 2007
7:54 AM EDT
>Should I change it back then?

No. Microsoft didn't cap it for emphasis, they capped it because that happens to be the style they use for headings in their newsletter. No need to let their idiotic visual values inflict pain on us.
tuxchick

Jun 09, 2007
8:48 AM EDT
I think it should be translated into LOLCODE. Hai!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!