What the HECK?

Story: Microsoft Spits in GPL Creator Richard Stallman's EyeTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
phubert

Jun 12, 2007
6:19 AM EDT
In spite of pop-up blocking in FF, this site has one REALLY ANNOYING and persistent (and LOUD) pop-up!!
phubert

Jun 12, 2007
6:22 AM EDT
Well... it DID..???

Still, does anyone really CARE what Xandros does? Are these only measures of desperation by the 'also rans' of the Linux world?
kozmcrae

Jun 12, 2007
6:26 AM EDT
Yeah, Sys-con is a PITA. I avoid their site as much as possible. After clicking on the link though I didn't see it. I guess I haven't gone there since upgrading to PCLinuxOS 2007 which has Firefox 2.0.0.4. My Adblock filter just upgraded recently so maybe that has something to do with it. I still won't visit their site though. I hate in-your-face pop-ups, even if I don't see them.
tracyanne

Jun 12, 2007
2:04 PM EDT
Quoting:In spite of pop-up blocking in FF, this site has one REALLY ANNOYING and persistent (and LOUD) pop-up!!

I settled their hass a long time ago with a combination of Adblock plus, No Script, and RIP (to remove those annoying dives that have been made to look like pop ups, and also to remove the rest of the ads from the side panels)

The article is mostly crap. Microsoft's assertions regarding patent covenants have nothing to do with the alleged 235 patents, and everything to do with the patents in the Proprietary networking and document protocols that Microsoft is so graciously sharing with some Linux vendors.
tuxchick

Jun 12, 2007
3:17 PM EDT
sys-con's site is awful, absolutely the worst. I swear it is designed to induce seizures. But they sometimes publish good Linux articles. And equal amounts of sheer rubbish.
jdixon

Jun 12, 2007
3:28 PM EDT
> Yeah, Sys-con...

Thanks for the warning. If I know it's a Sys-con story, I don't bother clicking on it.
tuxchick

Jun 12, 2007
3:29 PM EDT
Hey jdixon, don't be that way! Remember, they used to print Mauren O'Gara's well-researched, insightful articles!
jdixon

Jun 12, 2007
5:35 PM EDT
> Remember, they used to print Mauren O'Gara's well-researched, insightful articles!

And there you go digging up painful memories again. Years of therapy down the drain. :)
tuxchick

Jun 12, 2007
7:21 PM EDT
Nothing a few beers won't cure :)
Jubal

Jun 13, 2007
1:49 AM EDT
tuxchick: this is another well-researched and insightful story by Maureen O'Gara. ;->
Sander_Marechal

Jun 13, 2007
2:18 AM EDT
Quoting:In spite of pop-up blocking in FF, this site has one REALLY ANNOYING and persistent (and LOUD) pop-up!!

It's not a popup. It's an in-page element made to look like a popup. That means the popup blocker doesn't do anything with it. What's far more annoying, I have the latest adblock + filterset.g and I get the "popup" as well...
jdixon

Jun 13, 2007
6:00 AM EDT
> Nothing a few beers won't cure :)

Actually, I can't stand beer. Yeah, I know it's heretical, but...

However, some Southern Comfort should do the job nicely. :)
vainrveenr

Jun 13, 2007
10:51 AM EDT
Simple unchecking the 'Enable JavaScript' checkbox in FF's Preferences:Content tab gets rid of that "REALLY ANNOYING and persistent (and LOUD) pop-up!!"

Found this in FF without using any non-scripted java coffee, or alcohol either :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!