This Guy is a Genius

Story: Microsoft's next Linux partner is...?Total Replies: 13
Author Content
Abe

Jun 15, 2007
3:46 PM EDT
Quoting: ... I realized that I knew at least one more Linux distributor would form a partnership with Microsoft, ... ... Did you read my piece on ... ... I started thinking about how nice Linspire CEO Kevin ... ... I started asking around ... ... not only was I right, I had reasoned out what was going on only hours ahead of the press release ... ... discovered not only was I right, I had reasoned out what was going on ... ... I was thinking about Ubuntu as another possible candidate. ... I didn't get a chance ... dan ... if you see some news about Ubuntu partnering up with Microsoft ... just remember that you read it here first.

Yab, this guy is a genius. As if no one had anticipate or known that already. Give me a break.

dcparris

Jun 15, 2007
5:37 PM EDT
He's not a genius. We've batted this around here for the past two weeks. For all we know, he may have read our forums. ;-)
jdixon

Jun 15, 2007
5:57 PM EDT
> For all we know, he may have read our forums.

Well, he's a reporter. Isn't it part of the job to notice what discerning people are saying? :)
dcparris

Jun 15, 2007
8:46 PM EDT
True that!
salparadise

Jun 15, 2007
9:02 PM EDT
We've batted this around here for the past two weeks. For all we know, he may have read our forums. ;-)

Where we lead - others stumble along trying to follow.

It doesn't take a scientist to say "maybe Ubuntu will do the same" - it's mere speculation (Mr. Shuttleworth has in the past made some anti MS deal noises as well as the quoted "I'd love to work with Microsoft"). I suspect the "I'd love to work with Microsoft" bit carried with it the implicit idea "but not on their terms and certainly not if I have to be underneath" (if you'll forgive the metaphor).

Referring to people using only their surname troubles me. There's an air of contempt about it. It's one thing to refer to Blair - he is less than deserving of any title, but Mr. Shuttleworth has done nothing to gain such casual indifference. It speaks of aloofness and assumed superiority and doesn't sound so good.

SJVN could end up like David Coursey if he's not careful.
tuxchick

Jun 16, 2007
8:55 AM EDT
" SJVN could end up like David Coursey if he's not careful."

That is perilously close to Godwin :)
salparadise

Jun 16, 2007
9:32 PM EDT
That is perilously close to Godwin.

Sorry - can you explain that one to me.
jdixon

Jun 16, 2007
10:14 PM EDT
> ...can you explain that one to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law
salparadise

Jun 17, 2007
2:54 AM EDT
Hehehehehe.

Excellent.

Thanks.
hkwint

Jun 18, 2007
3:46 PM EDT
Well, there's lots of crap that SJVN predicted that didn't came true, but he doesn't speak about that, like all fortune tellers. It's nothing more than statistics that out of 50 predictions done in 30 articles some might come true.

I also remember a post at some site, where I was thinking: Hey, wait, I posted this 10-year old news from a French site that nobody picked up at LXer two days ago! When I said this to the site, they said: Of course we covered it, it was at ZDNet yesterday!
tuxchick

Jun 18, 2007
3:56 PM EDT
SJVN is ok. This sort of fare is standard. It sells, people like to read it, and for the oppressed overworked journalist who is tasked with feeding the insatiable beast, it means meeting a deadline without suffering unduly.
ottawalonndon

Jun 18, 2007
8:08 PM EDT
dcparris > He's not a genius.

A Capitol affirmative! And you a Reverend at that.

SJVN is headquartered in the state of North Carolina. But is not this one of the great Southern Christian states? You Reverend dcparris and SJVN then have something in common with the Holy Bible now.

Rightly, some of us see this Linux-saving business against the sinister giant Microsoft as an entirely just fight of the Bible's Old Testament David versus Goliath. But then again by the Bible, does Microsoft justly see itself as the tenacious King Ahab out to extinguish that downright pesky rallying Prophet Elijah who forecasts the end of King Ahab's kingdom?
dcparris

Jun 18, 2007
9:08 PM EDT
SJVN is a couple hours away from me. The rest is best left to another forum/listserv. Please keep our ToS in mind.
devnet

Jun 19, 2007
6:15 AM EDT
[dons SJVN mask]me me me...I I I....I told you so...me me....again, me. I, I, I, me...How great I am....my ESP is amazing. I am who I am. My name is SJVN, I told you so. Look at me! I, I, I and Me Me ME!!![/dons SJVN mask]

What a crackpot! He's posted nothing but crap in the past few weeks. I wonder if he's losing it?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!