What a hypocrite

Story: Is Linux Splitting into Two Factions?Total Replies: 13
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Jun 28, 2007
1:28 PM EDT
Kevin really doesn't get it, does he:

Quoting: Lastly...some distributions have come out, claiming to be taking the "morale high ground" by refusing to give into "Microsoft threats," while openly promoting the means of circumventing proprietary software on their web sites, amounting to nothing more than high-brow software piracy.

Is he actually accusing distro's that do not sign up for an MS deal to be software pirates?

Quoting:For Linux to be taken seriously by the mainstream distribution channels and enterprise customers, it needs to respect the IP of others.

And that is exactly what Kevin isn't doing. He's circumventing the license of *every* GPL package in Linspire. If that isn't a major disrespect for other people's IP I don't know what is.

I'd recommend it as FUD of the week, but Kevin ain't fudding. He's just being hypocrite. Sorry for the rant but this piece got under my skin.
jdixon

Jun 28, 2007
1:47 PM EDT
> He's circumventing the license of *every* GPL package in Linspire.

I don't disagree with your assertion that he's a hypocrite, but playing devil's advocate for the moment, how?

We don't know enough of the details of the agreement with Microsoft to have any idea if it violates the GPLv3 yet, and that won't even be released until tomorrow. So how do we know he's circumventing the GPL?

ABCC

Jun 28, 2007
1:59 PM EDT
For the sake of Sander's argument what matters is what he infringes today, not what he will be infringing on tomorrow.

With regards to being "taken seriously by the mainstream distribution channels and enterprise customers".... This is just sour grapes. Surely Dell is a "mainstream distribution channel"? and Google/Amazon/Wall St/etc etc (ad nauseum) constitutes "enterprise customers"?

---------- I'd recommend it as FUD of the week, but Kevin ain't fudding. He's just being hypocrite. Sorry for the rant but this piece got under my skin. ----------

I think he's been reading the invective over on slashdot and has learned a thing or two from the trolls.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 28, 2007
2:09 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't disagree with your assertion that he's a hypocrite, but playing devil's advocate for the moment, how?

By exploiting a loophole in GPLv2. That's why I said circumventing, not breaking. GPLv3 will most likely make short work of that (we'll know exactly how tomorrow, when it's out).
jdixon

Jun 28, 2007
2:21 PM EDT
> By exploiting a loophole in GPLv2.

OK. That explains your statement.

Now, how do we know he's doing so, given the limited information we have about the agreement? We know Novell is paying a per sale fee to Microsoft, in exchange for an agreement not to sue their users, which obviously circumvents the GPL. But we don't have any real information about what Linspire agreed to, so I don't see how we can say they're doing so. I have little doubt they are, mind you, but I like to be certain before I call someone a scoundrel. Unlike Carmony, who's willing to label anyone who isn't using Linspire as a pirate.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 28, 2007
2:39 PM EDT
From what Linspire and Microsoft have said, you can safely assume it's quite similar to the Novell deal. I am also quite sure that as soon as Linspire ships GPLv3 stuff, the FSF will come knocking at it's doors and demand to read the agreement (even under NDA) to determine if Linspire isn't breaking it. Unless Linspire sticks with GPLv2 versions which should starve their distro within a few years.

I wouldn't be surprised actually if Xandros, Novell and Linspire announce a cooperation to maintain GPLv2 forks of all the required applications that move to GPLv3. Talk about splitting up the community.
ABCC

Jun 28, 2007
2:46 PM EDT
The deal stated that Lindows and Microsft would work together to make their systems more "interoperable." In addition they will be able to distribute certain of Microsoft's patented 'technologies" and that it included a patent covenant not to sue.

The direction of the money flow isn't really important, heck Lindows themselves aren't important as a Linux distro. My suspicion is that MS handed over a wad of cash to Lindows in return for what amounts to editorial control of their marketing. MS's only effective gambit against Linux is spreading FUD. Their own marketing research suggests that some customers _do_ worry about patent infringement and the dreaded "Forking". This of course is another one of their favourites when discussing the negative points of Linux.

Given the title of Kevin's blog post "Is Linux Splitting into Two Factions?" it does suggest that he is now spreading some FUD in this direction. If that's his gambit then he really should just "fork off".
jsusanka

Jun 28, 2007
6:08 PM EDT
funny linspire is the ONLY linux distribution I could not get to install on any of my machines - I don't know why it apparently didn't like my hardware or something - one got as far trying to start x but I never could get x going so I gave up.

seems like to me they need to start fixing their distribution instead of worrying about backroom deals with microsoft and who is/isn't downloading codecs.
dinotrac

Jun 28, 2007
6:20 PM EDT
>From what Linspire and Microsoft have said, you can safely assume it's quite similar to the Novell deal.

It can't be too similar as Linspire is a Linux distribution and Novell is a company whose other business is about 8-9 times greater than its Linux business.

Beyond that, Novell has a significant patent portfolio of its own, and sizeable enterprise business.

In short, the Novell deal should be considered to be somewhere close to the best deal that anybody's going to get from Microsoft. I doubt that Linspire, Xandros, or anybody else -- with the possible exception of Red Hat -- can come close.
tracyanne

Jun 28, 2007
7:49 PM EDT
The blokes useless galah, not worth giving the time of day to.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 28, 2007
9:58 PM EDT
Quoting:It can't be too similar as Linspire is a Linux distribution and Novell is a company whose other business is about 8-9 times greater than its Linux business.

I was not referring to the entire deal but just to the patent protection racket that exploits a loophole in GPLv2.Those will be similar enough that a GPLv3 that blocks MS-Novell will also block MS-Xandros and MS-Linspire.
NoDough

Jun 29, 2007
4:35 AM EDT
I love posting Carmony's letters. They really energize the forums. :)
dinotrac

Jun 29, 2007
5:11 AM EDT
>Those will be similar enough that a GPLv3 that blocks MS-Novell will also block MS-Xandros and MS-Linspire.

Ah.
jdixon

Jun 29, 2007
2:42 PM EDT
> ...and that it included a patent covenant not to sue.

OK. Yes, that circumvents the spirit of the GPL. And it should be fixed by the GPLv3, released earlier today.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!