What's with the discussions lately?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 17
Author Content
herzeleid

Jun 30, 2007
11:09 PM EDT
I've noticed lately that I can't read the discussions anymore. Something is wrong with the html - the sentences disappear off the right side of the text area instead of wrapping around, and words are lost. I've got to play detective to try and figure out what's being said, and it tends to be enough of a PITA that I just give up.

What changed recently?
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 30, 2007
11:41 PM EDT
I forwarded this to Bob. I will let you what we find.

Scott
dinotrac

Jul 01, 2007
2:46 AM EDT
Oh good, it's not just me.

I just figured it was another side effect of getting old.
tracyanne

Jul 01, 2007
2:56 AM EDT
I'm not seeing anything wrong with any of the posts in the discussions. The formatting looks the same as it always has.
dinotrac

Jul 01, 2007
4:03 AM EDT
>I'm not seeing anything wrong with any of the posts in the discussions. The formatting looks the same as it always has.

I think that's because the text has been blown back into place by the time it reaches Oz.
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 01, 2007
4:30 AM EDT
Bob has determined that it is specific to the "Switching to SuSE-10" thread.

Funny that it is the thread that got me started on my journey here at LXer.

Scott
techiem2

Jul 01, 2007
5:19 AM EDT
On the topic of missing text, I have noticed that text often gets cut off at the edge of the text box instead of wrapping where it should when I'm on this particular machine running 800x600. It doesn't seem to be universal though. This discussion is fine, while the Switching thread being discussed cuts off a bit of almost every line. I don't know if it's a related issue or not, but it's rather annoying. :)

Mark II
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 01, 2007
5:45 AM EDT
Most likely it is one of the responses in the thread that is somehow causing it, but with 125 or so entries it would take a while to find it.
jdixon

Jul 01, 2007
6:20 AM EDT
Scott:

From previous discussions, it's a bug caused by the formatting of a URL somewhere in the message. Apparently the URL doesn't get wrapped, and then the rest of the messages don't either. Replacing the URL with a tinyURL link would probably fix the problem.

Of course, I have been known to be wrong on occasion.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 01, 2007
8:01 AM EDT
Yes. It's an URL or other long unbreakable piece of text that cause the forum messages to extend to the right side. The easiest fix would probably be to replace the HTML table that holds the messages with a series of div's. One div per message. If someone then enters a piece of text that cause the message to expand right, only that single message will expand while the rest stays the same.
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 01, 2007
2:15 PM EDT
When I get the time I will go through the thread and see if I can find it.
tracyanne

Jul 01, 2007
7:54 PM EDT
Quoting:I think that's because the text has been blown back into place by the time it reaches Oz.

Funny I almost believe you. There's a website in Texas that simply won't load for me, and yet it does for my friend who lives down the road from the Server.

So perhaps the breeze is so stiff it blows the website away.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 01, 2007
10:17 PM EDT
Scott: It's number6x's post, posted at Feb 09, 2006 4:13 PM (my time). The 27th post in the thread. It contains a link to an FTP site and the ftp:// protocol isn't converted to a short hyperlink by the LXer software.
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 02, 2007
2:47 AM EDT
Thanks sander!

I deleted that post and it looks like all is well.
number6x

Jul 02, 2007
4:55 AM EDT
Sorry,

I didn't mean to cause a problem.

I'll try to stick to http links in the future!
dinotrac

Jul 02, 2007
6:45 AM EDT
>I didn't mean to cause a problem.

Sure you didn't. We'll be keeping our eyes on you, mister!
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 02, 2007
7:24 AM EDT
Quoting:Sorry,

I didn't mean to cause a problem.

I'll try to stick to http links in the future!

Unfortunately I could not edit the post, I could only delete it. Don't worry number6x, you have a couple more to go before the floggings begin...LOL!!

tracyanne

Jul 02, 2007
1:13 PM EDT
Quoting:you have a couple more to go before the floggings begin...LOL!!

This sounds exciting, can I watch?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!