Book safe

Story: Bill Gates creates perfect accesory for Linux tabletsTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Jul 01, 2007
6:43 AM EDT
I picked up a huge book at a garage sale with the idea of making a safe like this, I was going to felt-line the interior and such and make it a nice little hiding place.

I bought the book for size, but I thought the title was something no one would look twice at: Miss Manner's How To Be Painfully Correct.

But it turned out to be a pretty good book, I never bothered to cut it up.

I think the author bypassed this problem very nicely. Maybe I'll go look for a discount hardback of AlGore's book...
gus3

Jul 01, 2007
9:04 AM EDT
The best thing to do with AlGore's book is recycle it. As in, turn it to pulp. The world's collective IQ would rise slightly as a result.
azerthoth

Jul 01, 2007
9:33 AM EDT
Not by much, the fact that it is still being purchased gives real meaning to the low end of the intellectual bell curve.
devnet

Jul 01, 2007
9:44 AM EDT
Just to help out in your quest, I bought 5 copies of the book and distributed it to 5 of my friends. Our collective IQ jumped as a result.

Upon reading this thread however, my IQ fell due to ignorant people who can't read books from perspectives other than their own...especially objective ones.
NoDough

Jul 01, 2007
10:53 AM EDT
Quoting:Upon reading this thread however, my IQ fell due to ignorant people who can't read books from perspectives other than their own...especially objective ones.
http://www.amazon.com/Politically-Incorrect-Global-Warming-E...
jdixon

Jul 01, 2007
11:15 AM EDT
> ...especially objective ones.

If you think Al Gore has ever been objective in his life, I have some prime real estate in Florida for you, some ocean front property in Arizona, and a deed for a slightly used bridge.

Which is not to say the climate is not changing. Merely that Gore has a goal that has nothing to do with climate change.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 01, 2007
12:29 PM EDT
> ...especially objective ones.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/655701

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1020027/

AlGore is a _politician_ first and foremost. Everything he says is said for effect, nothing has any relevance to truth or falsehood.

If he thought slicing open a baby with an obsidian knife would get him votes, he'd do it.
tuxchick

Jul 01, 2007
12:40 PM EDT
I sure do wish you fine whiny sourpusses would pay attention to the LXer TOS, and keep your insulting, content-free political commentary to yourselves.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 01, 2007
1:07 PM EDT
TC is right.

I should make the book-safe out of an old copy of the Linux Bible.

Were they ever printed in hard-back?
devnet

Jul 01, 2007
1:12 PM EDT
jdixon,

i said nothing of Gore.
jdixon

Jul 01, 2007
2:00 PM EDT
> ...i said nothing of Gore.

True. However, the context implies that you think his book was objective. Am I misreading your intent?

> ...content-free political commentary to yourselves.

Now, TC, my commentary is almost never content free. :) (Please notice that I did say almost). However, you are correct. This is probably outside the TOS.
gus3

Jul 01, 2007
5:40 PM EDT
Bob_Robertson:

There were some doozies in the Linux Bible. Someone did a bad search-and-replace before the typeset, seriously mangling some technical information in the section about virtual addressing on the x86 CPU's. There was an entire HOWTO on using a DriveSpace volume in Linux... which was totally bogus.

Still, I have the CD, and I'm considering installing it in Bochs just for giggles. Ah, the good ol' days. Maybe I'll even put it on an actual partition!

(And maybe it'll take fewer than 3 tries to get it right this time. ;-)
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 01, 2007
5:49 PM EDT
As a whole an entertaining thread but you are all lucky that I was at 35,000 feet between Phoenix and Orlando most of the day because up until gus3's post this thread was WAY outside the LXer TOS.

Lets try and keep this thing on subject from here on out, ok?

:-)
jdixon

Jul 02, 2007
5:53 AM EDT
> Lets try and keep this thing on subject from here on out, ok?

OK, from a technical aspect, what books would be best for housing a Nokia N800 (which runs Linux, making the original story on topic)?

You don't want one that's too large, but it has to be thick and large enough to hold the N800. It should also be something that's cheap and doesn't attract much attention, since the original goal was to be able to use the N800 undisturbed. Those let out the latest best seller or controversial books. Those are probably good reasons not to use "The Linux Bible", as it's large and the title may attract unwanted attention.

I don't have an N800 to check it's dimensions, and I can't find the information on Nokia's site. I may measure my wife's N770 when I get home. I doubt the dimensions have changed that much. A thicker paperpack might be the best choice.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 02, 2007
8:41 AM EDT
I don't think a paperback would do well.

Once the "holed" pages were glued/stapled together, the paperback spine would crack right at the fold point, and be very obvious. Also, the flexible nature of the paperback would not be conducive to keeping the rigid N800 invisible.

From the look of the original picture, any "trade" hardback should do the job size wise, as long as it has more than 200 pages.
dinotrac

Jul 02, 2007
9:45 AM EDT
>Just to help out in your quest, I bought 5 copies of the book and distributed it to 5 of my friends. Our collective IQ jumped as a result.

Oh goodness!

I hope that's not a reflection on the starting point.

Seriously, though, it's good to anybody reading and trying get a better perspective on the challenges of the day.

Besides, what could be more fun than seeing Bush called incompetent by the guy who lost an election because he forgot to make sure he carried his own home state?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!