great news

Story: Dell's Linux desktop line keeps expandingTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
jsusanka

Jul 08, 2007
6:54 PM EDT
this is great news and would like to congratulate dell -

recommended their systems with ubuntu to three people this weekend and they are definitely going to check them out.

people don't want to touch vista with a ten foot pole

at least the users I have been talking to.
Aladdin_Sane

Jul 08, 2007
7:57 PM EDT
From the article: "...sources indicate that the sales have exceeded expectations."

This is what the main question is, for Dell: Whether sales meet, exceed, or fail to meet, expectations.

The "exceed" word is, I think, very important for the progress of the program.

The "expectations" word is, in my opinion, horribly subjective and only helps the business case when stated as low as possible, but not so low that the project gets ignored. It's a mind game that I really prefer not to play.
jdixon

Jul 08, 2007
8:17 PM EDT
> The "exceed" word is, I think, very important for the progress of the program.

Agreed. From memory they had 100,000+ votes on Ideastorm. If even 10% of those who voted bought a system (I would have, but they don't offer the system I want with Ubuntu), that's 10,000 systems they should have sold in the first month or so. It sounds like they're beating that handily. I've mentioned the Dell Ubuntu systems to several folks, but no one's been in the market for a new machine yet.
Teron

Jul 08, 2007
11:20 PM EDT
Do note that IdeaStorm score=/=number of votes. Each vote by a logged-in member adjusts the score by ten points.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!