And the comedy to me

Story: Windows Guy Tries Ubuntu 7.04Total Replies: 8
Author Content
purplewizard

Jul 16, 2007
2:22 PM EDT
Is how much time I waste with the flakey wireless on my XP laptop compared to (these days) most distributions being almost trouble free on my (main) desktop machine.
tuxchick

Jul 16, 2007
3:29 PM EDT
oh goodie, let us whine together! XP Pro gives me absolute fits over connecting to unsecured access points. In classic Windows fashion, it thinks it knows better and insists that I need a WEP key. Heck, you'd think it would love an open WAP, so the malware can get there faster.
tracyanne

Jul 16, 2007
4:16 PM EDT
The thing I find amusing is the number of things that just run on Linux, that require that you first install drivers from the supplied CD, on windows.
jacog

Jul 17, 2007
6:28 AM EDT
*points to huge pile of Windows driver disks (or is that "discs"?) *

Yah... I too prefer things to just work. And our new system I went and picked the hardware veeery carefully to make sure every piece of it will work with me desktop OS of choice.
dinotrac

Jul 17, 2007
6:37 AM EDT
>*points to huge pile of Windows driver disks (or is that "discs"?) *

Come on you biased unappreciative jerks!!!

Without all those CDs, you'd probably end up putting cold drinks on wood furniture and screwing up the finish.
jdixon

Jul 17, 2007
7:09 AM EDT
> Without all those CDs, you'd probably end up putting cold drinks on wood furniture and screwing up the finish.

That's what the AOL, People PC, and NetZero CD's are for.
dinotrac

Jul 17, 2007
7:33 AM EDT
>That's what the AOL, People PC, and NetZero CD's are for.

Well, OK then.
tuxchick

Jul 17, 2007
8:07 AM EDT
At least in the olden daze you could re-use those AOL floppy disks. Though hanging the CDs on fruit trees helps keep the birds out.
tracyanne

Jul 17, 2007
1:19 PM EDT
Hey I give all my old Linux CDs and DVDs away to people who want free coasters (social clubs for example), any windows ones, such as those that come with the hardware i buy, is either binned or removed from the packet at the shop, and given back to the shop owner, with the comment "I won't be needing this, I've got Linux".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!