jsusanka

Aug 08, 2007
10:09 AM EDT
as it was said here before:

"windows is one nasty piece of crap."
wjl

Aug 08, 2007
11:58 AM EDT
Right. I refrained for long enough to join into this kind of songs, but I'm getting sick and tired of playing the firefighter for bugs produced elsewhere.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 09, 2007
6:32 AM EDT
One of the people I take karate with stopped me on Monday and said, "My computer just won't work any more."

I said, "Windows."

He said, "Well, yeah. I just got finished installing this anti-virus and that firewall, and it won't even come up anymore."

"I'll bring a few things in for you tomorrow. First things first, don't use IE. Use Firefox. I'll bring you a couple of Linux (PCLinuxOS and KNOPPIX) to try out too, see if they work for you."

"How much does a Linux system cost?"

"Nothing."

">???
wjl

Aug 09, 2007
7:00 AM EDT
Hehe yes. How true how true.

If any of my friends ask for help, and I ask: "Windows?", I usually tell them that I cannot be of much help, because I don't use that since ages anymore.

And to true friends, any short-term "help" wouldn't be any real help; it would just cement their use of proprietary stuff. So my answers are mostly the same - I offer to install Linux instead. If they see our computers, they want it anyway...
tuxchick

Aug 09, 2007
7:59 AM EDT
Quoting: any short-term "help" wouldn't be any real help

So true- aside from the issue of using proprietary software, it's like trying to float a boat made of wire mesh. Sure, coating it with a few hundred pounds of caulking will keep it going a little while. But not for long.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!