Lacks Photo Printing

Story: Tutorial: More Than HPLIP Service for LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Aug 13, 2007
6:15 PM EDT
Although I am very happy to have the HP printing support, what with an HP PSC2210 printer, the "parity" comment is overstating things quite a bit.

Sure the printer is "fully" supported, but the HP software for MS-Win includes _Photo_Printing_.

In Windows I can select a picture, and print it a hundred different ways, including borderless 4x6 (using HP paper with a little 1/4 inch tab on it) which means my pictures _look_ like pictures and not just printed computer graphics.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and admit that maybe, just maybe, I didn't see where this functionality was. But I've been using the HPLIP and other HP software since it was first delivered and I haven't seen any indication that photo printing is anywhere to be found.

tuxchick

Aug 13, 2007
8:32 PM EDT
That sux. And is an especially touchy subject for me right now as I have been struggling mightily to make good 4x6 borderless photo prints with my Canon printer, and failing. Photo printing is seriously pooey in Linux, unless there is some secret photo printing application I have not yet discovered. That is actually worth using.
dinotrac

Aug 14, 2007
1:43 AM EDT
>Photo printing is seriously pooey in Linux,

The magic trick is to use Epson printers.

I like Digikam, though I always forget the magic for guaranteeing that my pictures are oriented and sized correctly.

The Gimp, of course, can do a great job -- but that's not exactly a photo-printing app.
tuxchick

Aug 14, 2007
7:31 AM EDT
Ick on nozzle-clogging ink-sucking Epson printers. I've wasted enough money on them. Something like Photoshop Elements, or whatever the 'lite' version is, would be really nice on Linux.
dinotrac

Aug 14, 2007
11:31 AM EDT
>Photoshop Elements

Digikam in its most recent incarnations has come a long way towards that ideal.

Oddly, I'm as fond of Canon printers as you are of Epson. Go figure. Love their cameras, though.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!