Don't feed the troll

Story: SCO: What Difference Did It Make?Total Replies: 16
Author Content
cubrewer

Aug 14, 2007
5:04 PM EDT
So Rob "I wouldn't know an insight if it bit me" Enderle now sees free software everywhere.

But you already knew this and RE as clueless about his clueless-ness as he is about everything else. He makes the Pink Pather looks supremely self-aware.

And otherwise this post is crap. There is nothing there (is there *ever*?). He has no insights and the blog post is as much a awkward apology for completely missing the FLOSS boat as it is about SCO.

So, I recommend that you not feed this troll.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 14, 2007
6:49 PM EDT
R.E. does have one skill: Self promotion.

Somehow, by writing not a single thing that is true, he earns enough money to eat.

He should go into politics.

NoDough

Aug 14, 2007
8:15 PM EDT
I tried to read it, but couldn't choke down anything past the third paragraph. The presumption of infringing code in the first paragraph started me coughing. What an imbecile?
Sander_Marechal

Aug 14, 2007
9:04 PM EDT
Quoting:I recommend that you not feed this troll

I usually avoid posting Rob Enderle stories, but I thought this was worth posting, given the large amount of self-contradiction with the previous R.E. story that was posted here (which drew quite a few comments).
dinotrac

Aug 14, 2007
10:32 PM EDT
OK, I missed just what it is you guys are ridiculing.

Sure, RE has, um, his own view, but, this didn't seem so far out there.

Why the hubbub?
Sander_Marechal

Aug 14, 2007
10:39 PM EDT
Dino: How about:

"the threats of violence against SCO, the massive denial-of-service attacks — even against those who confirmed the attacks — got a lot of folks looking at open source who otherwise probably wouldn’t."

"This was soap opera big time, and I still think we are fortunate that no one was hurt or killed."

And ofcourse the giant flip-flop compared to his previous article, surrounded by an air of "I always knew Open Source was the future".
dinotrac

Aug 15, 2007
3:19 AM EDT
Sander -

As I said, Rob has ....ummmm.... his own views and can lean a little on the hyperbole.

But, SCO did take a lot of grief. Sure, the hurt or killed part is nuts, but I think most readers would see it as nuts, including those who are not foss types.

Still, in his article, if you strip away simple nuttiness and Enderliness, there are some underlying themes that, recast just a bit, are worth a thought:

1. Increased awareness of free software -

Maybe not so much of people (and here, I think, we are talking business rather than individuals) hearing of it for the first time, but starting to appreciate it for the serious animal it is. After all, somebody was claiming it had actual Unix code -- and Unix has run some mighty serious work -- and was willing to blow a wad to prove it.

2. Assurance of IP safety that makes anything Microsoft touts look like peanuts -

A direct frontal attack on Linux IP was absolutely blow out of the water. Admittedly, the attack was also a direct frontal attack on IBM, which is -- ummm -- not smart. Still, knowing that lots of companies have a strong rooting interest in the success of Linux and that IBM is at the top of the list, how eager will anybody be to launch a similar attack?

Microsoft, maybe, but even they would have to think that one over very carefully, especially in light of the recent SCOTUS ruling on what it takes to attack a patent.

3. Maturity of the free software community -

I'm less sure about this one because we didn't look brilliant after the Novell deal. Still, we took a licking and kept on ticking. It's got to be good to see that free software really can weather the storms. No Chicken Little act required.

4. Linux calling off the war on Microsoft

That sure was a stupid spin. However, I'm glad he included the Linux link, because Linus's attitude towards Microsoft is right on.

tuxchick

Aug 15, 2007
10:23 AM EDT
Dino, your heroic efforts to find something useful in an enderle article remind me of the birds that pick through cow and horse poop to find the occasional tasty nugget. Yes, it's possible, but is it worth the effort and the stink?
Bob_Robertson

Aug 15, 2007
1:33 PM EDT
I was going to mention something about justifying arbitrary authority by the occasional successful project, while dismissing all the disastrous wreckage.

Broken watches being correct twice a day also come to mind.

But that would merely ignite an old and well thrashed out subject. And yes, I do dismiss R.E. out of hand for the simple fact that he Argues From Authority on a continuous basis, and I just _hate_ that.

Truly, about the only thing "correct" in R.E.'s article is the occasionally correctly spelled word. It is a testament to the apathy of Microsoft that my Konqueror web browser has automatic spell checking for forms, while whatever it is R.E. uses (and vigorously defends) does not.
cubrewer

Aug 15, 2007
9:08 PM EDT
dino: I just don't see what RE is adding, silliness or not, recasting or not, to the discussion that others have not previously done better.

Sure, if you look at something through cloudy glass, you might discern their true shape... particularly if you have sharp eyesight and a quick wit... but it begs the question: why not use the relatively clear windows nearby?

I guess some folks just like to see RE squirm as he tries to spin it as though he is not a moron.... I'm not that cruel to insectiod life-forms, such as Mr. Enderle. I think we should leave him to shrivel and dry on the window-sill of life in respectful solitude. :)
dinotrac

Aug 16, 2007
12:26 AM EDT
>as he tries to spin it as though he is not a moron

Ummm....

I wouldn't mind being a moron who manages to get quoted by the NY Times and others. I'll bet he makes a heckuva lot more at his consulting than I ever did.
tracyanne

Aug 16, 2007
1:14 AM EDT
Quoting:I wouldn't mind being a moron who manages to get quoted by the NY Times and others

It's a sad fact of life that people who don't have a lot of informed input on the subject get quoted the most in the most well read publications. They probably have better search engine fodder on their web sites.
jsusanka

Aug 16, 2007
4:33 AM EDT
"I wouldn't mind being a moron who manages to get quoted by the NY Times and others. I'll bet he makes a heckuva lot more at his consulting than I ever did."

I have major problems with this kind of thinking. Just because someone makes a lot of money it justifies who he/she is or what he/she says, or does.

IMO this is the major problem with our society today. People use making money to justify just about everything no matter how tasteless, slimey, or just plain bad "it" is.

dinotrac

Aug 16, 2007
5:52 AM EDT
>I have major problems with this kind of thinking. Just because someone makes a lot of money it justifies who he/she is or what he/she says, or does.

Justify what? Has it occurred to you that Enderle might actually believe the things that he writes?

I have a mortgage and I have kids. I would love to make a nice living writing about the things that I think.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 16, 2007
6:20 AM EDT
> I wouldn't mind being a moron who manages to get quoted by the NY Times and others. I'll bet he makes a heckuva lot more at his consulting than I ever did.

Argument from Authority. He is quoted, therefore his opinions must have validity.

> Justify what? Has it occurred to you that Enderle might actually believe the things that he writes?

I'm sure he believes whatever he's paid to believe. Some people call that "having an open mind".

> I have a mortgage and I have kids. I would love to make a nice living writing about the things that I think.

No argument there. I couldn't agree more. Me too! etc.

As I previously stated, R.E. has a wonderful skill of self promotion. Such people tend to make lots of money, but "facts" tend to be less important to such folks too.

jdixon

Aug 16, 2007
6:44 AM EDT
> Has it occurred to you that Enderle might actually believe the things that he writes?

He probably does. For at least 5 minutes or so. Then he changes his mind again. :)

Enderle has a seriously warped view of FOSS and a strong large company bias and viewpoint. Given his work history and the reaction to his early negative articles on the subject (I don't think he was ready for the full scale Internet flaming which resulted, and it appears to have colored his perceptions ever since), this is somewhat understandable. In general, if he can find a way to cast anything FOSS related in a negative light, he goes out of his way to do so. He can't always find a way, so his articles come across as somewhat schizophrenic.
tuxchick

Aug 16, 2007
9:24 AM EDT
Getting paid to spout moronic garbage doesn't improve the quality of the garbage, nor does getting paid to spout one's idiotic beliefs make them any less idiotic.

**edit** In fact the more I think about this, the madder I get. Shame on trolls like Enderle who spew garbage, when they have a priceless opportunity to publish something useful. Shame on the lazy, ignorant reporters and editors who quote trolls like Enderle and endow them with the status of "experts". Professionals? I spit on that type of "professionalism." It's a waste and disgrace.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!