Sutor skirted a couple of questions

Story: The LXer Interview: Bob Sutor of IBMTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
vainrveenr

Aug 17, 2007
8:03 AM EDT
... unless his answers were somewhat veiled

LXer interviewer: SO what is keeping IBM from donating more patents to Open Source?

And what was Sutor's reply to this?
Quoting:We pledged that any of our patents that were necessary to implement these core SOA/Web 2.0 infrastructure standards would be available for use without royalty and without a need to check in with IBM. This assumes, however, that you behave yourself and not go around suing people over the use of your necessary technology to implement these standards.

The other announcement to which you are referring is from January 2005, where we pledged 500 patents for use in open source. The latest pledge for standards applies to both open and closed source. We continue to look for new ways to use IP to advance the software industry. We're also looking, frankly, at what others are doing and, sometimes, not doing. We welcome others in the industry to follow our example and do similar pledges for the 150+ software standards.
So does this indicate that what is keeping IBM from donating more patents to Open Source are - any of IBM's patents that were UNnecessary to implement these core SOA/Web 2.0 infrastructure standards??? - you (whoever you are) acting to behave yourself and not go around suing people over the use of your(?) necessary technology to implement these standards?? - IBM's continuing to look for new ways to use IP to advance the software industry??? - IBM's looking, frankly, at what others are doing and, sometimes, not doing???

Pretty hedgy non-answers.

LXer interviewer: The adopting the ODF format as an Open Document Standard and Microsoft's attempt to get their own XML format accepted as such is an ongoing issue. What is your take on the situation and is there anything that can be done to make people see that XML is really not Open?

Sutor's response:
Quoting:Because of the ISO process, this issue is being discussed around the world right now. There is a lot of good material out there about why Open XML, or OOXML, should not be an international standard. Whatever happens with OOXML, I think many important issues have been raised and understood. I think we have collectively educated and permanently changed the policies of procurement people in many organizations around the world.

I think that the commotion around OOXML and ISO will lead to significant reforms in national standards bodies as well as in the international standards organizations. The goal is high quality standards, not just many standards. The goal is interoperability, not preservation of marketshare, though if that comes through the development and use of true non-dictated, open standards, so be it.
Yes, we all know that this issue is being discussed around the world right now Yes, we all know that there is a lot of good material out there about why Open XML, or OOXML, should not be an international standard Yes, we all know that many important issues regarding OOXML have been raised and understood Yes, ....... a bunch of other hodgepodge truisms.

The question clearly skirted here is Is there anything that can be done to make people see that XML is really not Open?

Sander_Marechal

Aug 17, 2007
11:27 AM EDT
Yes, that first question I also noticed as being very evasive. I didn't notice that second one when reading the article though.

Back to the first issue: I think they are taking the wait-and-see approach. Kind of like "We made our move. Now make yours".
vainrveenr

Aug 17, 2007
6:51 PM EDT
A wait-and-see approach?

Could very well be. It certainly makes sense for IBM to see which way the winds are blowing following the IP Patent news of the Microsoft and Novell patent deal and now Judge Kimball's far-reaching decision in Novell's favor in the SCO vs Novell lawsuit.

Sutor's cagey answers still leave the impression that 1) he does not really know the answer to these questions -- something like discrepancies in the IBM corporate/management team vs. the IBM legal division, -or- 2) that IBM's passivity is merely temporal to be broken with a formal announcement or press release at the "right time".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!