Your approach needs to change

Story: Linux Journal: the Last Idiot's ClubTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
pat

Aug 19, 2007
6:38 AM EDT
A little harsh aren't you? By calling everybody at LJ idiot's you are just making the same mistake they are making by running an ad that is in very poor taste. I do see you changed it from "Idiot-Boys" club. At least your willing to admit that you made a mistake. Why not let LJ have the chance to correct their obvious mistake before you start the name calling.

BTW, how do you know there aren't any women subscribes to LJ? Are they really wondering about it? Obviously, by running such an ad they are not, so why even make the false claim.

(PS I do not subscribe to LJ)
jrm

Aug 19, 2007
8:18 AM EDT
> Why not let LJ have the chance to correct their obvious mistake before you start the name calling.

Because they printed the same ad 7 years ago, and haven't even figured out that "Our" shouldn't be capitalized. (If the shoe fits...)

Anyway, what approach would have been better? I don't know what else women could have done to explain it to us, and quite frankly, we're still acting like idiots.
tuxchick

Aug 19, 2007
10:08 AM EDT
Pat, that's Predictable Reply #3: when someone complains, try to discredit them for speaking up. I know, girls are supposed to be nice. To make it easier to ignore us. Sorry, I don't believe in being easily ignored.

FYI, I wrote two emails to multiple staffers at Linux Journal last week, and have yet to receive a reply, and have raised the issue of their awful, negative portrayals of women in the past, all of which they dismissed with a token bit of insincere discussion.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 19, 2007
11:44 AM EDT
Quoting:Because they printed the same ad 7 years ago

Worse. They banned that ad 7 years ago. What short memory they have.
pat

Aug 19, 2007
6:23 PM EDT
Interesting, I point out a better way to get your message across and you shout, "Help I'm being repressed." I'm not ignoring or calling you out because of your sex, either.

I'm calling you out because name calling is your typical approach to everything that you remotely disagree with. I want to help you get your message out in a manner so that everyone will listen. If you don't stop the name calling you are no better than those you would criticize.

Skip the name calling, focus on what is wrong with the ad, why it is misogynistic, and why it is such a big deal that they apologize publicly. Given the editor in chief, I doubt that latter part will happen, but I will laugh if he gets canned over this.

tuxchick

Aug 19, 2007
7:17 PM EDT
Hi Pat, ok I see your point. I call off the attack pups. Most of the time I would agree with you- in this case I don't. Could be I'm wrong; we shall see what happens.
gus3

Aug 19, 2007
8:13 PM EDT
pat,

The publication went through this once before. If they didn't learn anything, they deserve all the name-calling they get.

Those who do not know history...
Aladdin_Sane

Aug 19, 2007
8:46 PM EDT
Quoting:when someone complains, try to discredit them for speaking up.

tuxchick, your reply reminded me of How to Suppress Women's Writing by Joanna Russ. Required reading when I was in college, it can be found at http://www.amazon.com/Suppress-Womens-Writing-Joanna-Russ/dp...

Thought you might be interested, if you were not already aware of it.
dinotrac

Aug 20, 2007
5:46 AM EDT
> Could be I'm wrong;

Did I see those words coming from our own Carla?

Man!!!!!!!!!!!!! er, Being!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the exclusion of half the population, it was an old sexist habit. I will go flog myself.
tuxchick

Aug 20, 2007
7:42 AM EDT
Easy there, dino. "dood" has almost become gender-neutral, if you can bring yourself to actually say it.

dinotrac

Aug 20, 2007
7:53 AM EDT
>if you can bring yourself to actually say it.

I think my facial muscles are too old to form the sounds and am quite sure my fingers can't type it.
gus3

Aug 22, 2007
11:04 PM EDT
dino, have you tried copy/paste? Here, I'll provide some templates:

Dude!

dood!

or, for the uber-l33t:

d00d!!!11one
Sander_Marechal

Aug 22, 2007
11:37 PM EDT
Quoting:d00d!!!11one

You're missing a ~ in there :-)
dinotrac

Aug 23, 2007
3:19 AM EDT
d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d

Nope. can't dood it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!