Hmm... Why do I have flashbacks to Colossus?

Story: Give time to develop artificial brainTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
jdixon

Aug 27, 2007
4:02 PM EDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus:_The_Forbin_Project for those too young to remember.
jezuch

Aug 27, 2007
4:25 PM EDT
Or maybe "GOLEM XIV" by Stanisław Lem, where a military computer stops doing work for military because he (it?) considers war stupid.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 27, 2007
4:35 PM EDT
Colossus was monolithic.

But writers have been talking about the "singularity" of true A.I. for many years.

I started "Accelerondo",as an example of one of those stories, but the author so screwed up what Austrian economics is that I couldn't finish it.

azerthoth

Aug 27, 2007
8:42 PM EDT
I always preferred Spider Robinsons AI, Solace, from the Callahans series. What better than an AI that "possesses" a Mac and can clear a room with bad puns, or can do a "wetware" interface by sticking a SCSI cable into your mouth.

*edit* Jezuch I thought I had gotten my hands on nearly every Stanislaw Lem book, thanks for letting me know I was wrong. Looking forward to hunting that one down now. */edit*
NoCaDrummer

Aug 27, 2007
8:45 PM EDT
"Skynet" (from the Terminator movie franchise) was a worldwide network of computers. But time travel is still waiting for us to build a black-hole torus. Might be a few years after the computers take over. But hey, we'll have killed ourselves off pretty well by then.
azerthoth

Aug 27, 2007
8:48 PM EDT
Nah, there is an time traveling Irish bartender with his madam wife watching out for us :)
jacog

Aug 28, 2007
1:32 AM EDT
Also has shades of William Gibson's Neuromancer to it. Worldwide network of computers turning into a form of omnipresent super-intelligence. The only missing element is a real person immortalising themselves by having their entire brain's contents exist on the network. But hey... let's assume they get this right and manage to emulate the brain accurately... will this be like a child that has to be raised/taught/educated?

And, assuming they get it right, will it eventually become self aware and start searching for some purpose in life. Of course, it will totally lack things like clinical depression and sugar addiction and all manner of physical things that would affect its thinking.

"I can't let you do that, Dave."

... skip forward ...

"Daisy, Daisy... give me your answer truuue..."

... and while I'm at it ...

"Greetings Professor Falken. Would you like to play a game of chess?" "Would you like to play Global Thermo-nuclear War?"

NoDough

Aug 28, 2007
5:55 AM EDT
Quoting:But writers have been talking about the "singularity" of true A.I. for many years.
And M$ has taken notice. http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!