Try again...

Story: From Zero to Holy $&*#!Total Replies: 11
Author Content
NoDough

Aug 28, 2007
10:32 AM EDT
Tom,

I read this piece twice, and it's just not working for me.

Maybe I'm having brain cramps, but the style of the article seems disjointed and your arguments incomplete. It's as if you know where you want to go with it, but you can't find a logical path between points A and B.

Maybe if you massaged the language a little, the synaptically challenged among us might 'get it.'
thenixedreport

Aug 28, 2007
12:56 PM EDT
Actually, there was a logical path. The speed of that path however was so fast... it just snuck up on ya'. That's the whole point. The DMCA was passed along with other things related to subsidies and whatnot at about 2:30 a.m. when the rest of America was sleeping. Something that bad and that horrible snuck up on us. What I wrote was in response to another blog post from helios. Remember that software "pirate" that's on probation and they made him use Windows so they could track him? Now magnify that by the fact that Microsoft lobbyists have attempted to convince Congress men and women that Windows is the only secure way to go..... If none of us are vigilant, Linux or FOSS becoming illegal in America will sneak up on Americans, and you can bet it would start seeping out into the rest of the world....
NoDough

Aug 28, 2007
1:14 PM EDT
Excellent response. I got much more out of that paragraph than I did from your article.

Now, add some links to the enslaved pirate (yes, I know they are available in a previous post) and some links for the ties between M$ and Congress and the whole thing will be an inspiration to action, rather than a huh-what-did-he-just-say.
Alcibiades

Aug 28, 2007
1:27 PM EDT
However, and surely, the first lawmaker to request a meeting to get a briefing from his staff on why the nation will be made more secure by a Windows legal monopoly, will have to adjourn it almost at once.

He will be greeted by a table of people unable to speak or even stay upright for hysterical laughing fits. Then when he rises to speak to the subject in either Congress or Senate, he will be greeted once more by gales of laughter.

Government has its share of silly people, but it has a remarkable shortage of people who are willing to make idiots of themselves in public. This will never happen.
thenixedreport

Aug 28, 2007
1:31 PM EDT
Never happen? That would be a relief. However, let's make sure that it does not happen at all and make sure that there is in fact no chance for it to happen at all. ;)
Bob_Robertson

Aug 28, 2007
1:46 PM EDT
Is this a bad time to suggest a candidate and/or party?
thenixedreport

Aug 28, 2007
3:13 PM EDT
Hey, there's Ron Paul who apparently likes Google.... ;)

lol

Seriously. I'm glad there was some confusion. be prepared for the next part tomorrow. It will make sense.
nikkels

Aug 28, 2007
5:53 PM EDT
"""""If none of us are vigilant, Linux or FOSS becoming illegal in America will sneak up on Americans,""""" America has only 5% of the world population. So, no Big Harm done.

"""""and you can bet it would start seeping out into the rest of the world."""""" I wouldn't bet to much money on it. It doesn't look that Europe is blindly following stupid things happening in America, concerning Microsoft's practices. Look at the court case going on where they oppose MS with a 2 million Euro a day fine.
helios

Aug 28, 2007
6:01 PM EDT
It doesn't look that Europe is blindly following stupid things happening in America, concerning Microsoft's practices....

Not yet...Let me ask though, and incidentally, I sincerely hope you are right.....

Is Australia as "strong" as Europe? In this case, the EU has it over a single nation leadership model... The Prime Minister of Australia collapsed like a cheap storefront when Dubya threatened him with withdrawing the Australian-friendly Trade agreement unless they fell in line with American Copyright laws. The Australians now suffer under one of the most oppressive copyright dictates in the world...next to the US that is.

Now, Let's see if Europe has what it takes to NOT follow suit.

h
gus3

Aug 28, 2007
9:10 PM EDT
I suggest worry, not laughter, at what Microsoft will try.

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070827111019189

They're just getting warmed up. If they can buy the ISO, who says they can't buy Congress too?
Bob_Robertson

Aug 28, 2007
10:18 PM EDT
Corruption doth follow power the way flies follow rotten meat.

dinotrac

Aug 29, 2007
3:22 AM EDT
Ken -

I don't know how to tell you this, but American copyright laws were re-worked to be consistent with European laws years ago. WIPO, old man, is an acronym you should know.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!