Microsoft could turn out to be Free Software's biggest frien

Story: Think again, FSF tells Microsoft on GPL3Total Replies: 10
Author Content
dinotrac

Aug 29, 2007
7:33 AM EDT
If a court case really does ensue, this could be the best thing that has ever happened for free software.

To date, it is clear only that the GPL is a valid license and that it's terms can be enforced. The precise limits of those terms and their relationship to case law is a fuzzy blob of opinions all over the place.

A legal action might scupper a few pieces, and trim back others, but, inevitably, it would leave a number of very clear "You'd better nots" that would greatly lighten the legal burden on anybody else who sought to enforce their GPL rights.
Abe

Aug 29, 2007
7:42 AM EDT
Quoting:If a court case really does ensue, this could be the best thing that has ever happened for free software.
I concur, but contrary to what PJ said, FSF is not planning on suing MS, they are just poking at MS to sue. Unless the FSF know something we don't, I think it would be a crazy move by them if they initiates a suite.

dinotrac

Aug 29, 2007
7:47 AM EDT
>I think it would be a crazy move by them if they initiates a suite.

Unless they've got a very rich uncle lurking in the background. The problem is, who else is going to do it? Microsoft certainly has no reason to sue. They don't want to protect anybody's GPL rights. As it stands, I don't see a reason for IBM or Red Hat to sue, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
Abe

Aug 29, 2007
8:07 AM EDT
Quoting:Unless they've got a very rich uncle lurking in the background.
That, they definitely don't have.
Quoting:The problem is, who else is going to do it? Microsoft certainly has no reason to sue.
I don't think FOSS need to sue at this time. Just pestering and harassing MS is good enough. Whether fast or slowly, FOSS is winning momentum by winning various little battles.

MS has been able to slow it down on occasions but hasn't been able to stop or contain it as they would have liked. Spoiling their plans and tactics is more than good enough for now, it is actually helping FOSS.

FSF should not rush to court yet unless they have solid assurance of wining a court (jury as you prefer) decision.

dinotrac

Aug 29, 2007
8:22 AM EDT
>Just pestering and harassing MS is good enough.

Are they pestering MS in any way at all?

Seems to me that "You can't do this because we said so" is noise that MS will laugh at during the long limousine ride to the bank
Aladdin_Sane

Aug 29, 2007
8:37 AM EDT
"In its press release dated July 5, 2007, Microsoft announced that it was withdrawing discriminatory promises of patent safety it previously made to certain Novell customers." --From the FSF press release

Abe>>Unless the FSF know something we don't

It seems clear to me that taking nearly two months to answer MS indicates that things have gone on that are not public between FSF, SFLC, MS, and Novell.

In other words, there are clearly (to me) things that FSF knows that we don't.

The four parties involved seem to be having a dispute of some sort: We already know that MS has repudiated the GPL3 while Novell will honor the MS coupons using GPL3 licensed software; both parties have stated these things.

There seems to be a ready-made lawsuit in the Novell-MS deal, if their public disagreement cannot be resolved privately.

To me, MS rattled the first saber with their repudiation, and the FSF press release is the FSF rattling back.

/*edit If anyone missed it, I noted that The Register story did not provide a link, here is the FSF press release: http://www.fsf.org/news/microsoft_response edit*/
Abe

Aug 29, 2007
8:39 AM EDT
Quoting:...is noise that MS will laugh at during the long limousine ride to the bank
Well that depends on how MS takes the noise as it gets louder. You are forgetting the harassment and FOSS is winning part.

As the trips start getting less frequent, MS will start to worry. Besides, FOSS is chucking along and I don't think cutting MS air supply ever was in its objectives.

After Ballmar's spree of "Linux infringes our IP" and now FSF is telling him you are obligated to respect the GPL3 if and when Novell starts releasing software with, MS has to react.

jsusanka

Aug 29, 2007
9:31 AM EDT
"In other words, there are clearly (to me) things that FSF knows that we don't."

I agree with this statement. Not sure what exactly is going on but I have a feeling that it will hit the fan when and if novell releases gpl v3 software with their distribution. (SLED distribution not OpenSuse).

fsf has to protect the gpl no matter what version they are on and what it says. If they don't it is nothing but toilet tissue.

I also look at the eye pee that microsoft actually bought from sco and now from novell. I am starting to think they made these deals because they are using something in their products that is under the gpl but who knows maybe they just did it for the FUD.
dinotrac

Aug 29, 2007
9:34 AM EDT
>MS has to react.

Why?
Abe

Aug 29, 2007
9:47 AM EDT
Quoting:>MS has to react.

Why?

How about losing market share on the scale of what Novell gained in Germany just recently but a number of times!

I am surprised you still asking these questions. May be it is my mistake I didn't clarify it enough. If you thought I am talking about whether MS is obligated to the GPL3 only, that is not the case. I am talking about a wider than that subject. I am talking about MS vs FOSS in general.

dinotrac

Aug 29, 2007
10:13 AM EDT
>How about losing market share

What has that got to do with the FSF making noise?

Nothing.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!