frist mockery!

Story: SCO Likely To Appeal Novell Ruling, CEO Darl McBride SaysTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tuxchick

Aug 30, 2007
12:03 PM EDT
Darl is nuts. But then I've always believed that someone is pulling his strings, because no one who really wanted to run a company would hire him. Darl and his henchpeople were handpicked and the old management team (Ransom Love et al) were given the boot in order to launch this bold new litigation strategy. So the final hahas and toldyousos are going to drag on and on, which takes the fun out of them.
azerthoth

Aug 30, 2007
12:33 PM EDT
pooh on that, I can have fun going "nyah nyah nyah" as long as Darl can handle continuous public mockery.

While not a lawyer, if I were the law firm I would be looking for ways to limit losses since they accepted a flat payment and this appeal may not fall inside the agreement. Something along the lines of "You want to add a case that has a ruling already .... HAHAHAHAHA ..... er NO"
jrm

Aug 30, 2007
12:41 PM EDT
SCO doesn't have a lot of options. Either they appeal or they file for bankruptcy. They don't have the cash they need to pay back the royalties to Novell, and nobody in their right mind would make a loan to SCO.

Plus, if SCO goes under there will be probably be a parade of lawsuits against management. At the same time SCO was privately asking Novell to transfer the copyrights, they were telling shareholders not to worry about a thing.

Their only hope is to win an appeal.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 30, 2007
1:09 PM EDT
Quoting:if I were the law firm I would be looking for ways to limit losses since they accepted a flat payment and this appeal may not fall inside the agreement.

IIRC from Groklaw, the flat fee deal included appeals as well.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 30, 2007
4:28 PM EDT
> IIRC from Groklaw, the flat fee deal included appeals as well.

Proving that lawyers are able to make mistakes too.

Maybe they accepted Darl's assertion that the evidence would be there when they got the experts reports. Ooops!
number6x

Aug 31, 2007
5:52 AM EDT
How come when I picture the SCO Group's headquarters, I always think about the Joker's or the penguin's hideouts in the 60's Batman TV show? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(TV_series)

You know, partially built room dividers, primary colors, slightly twisted camera angle.

I could swear that Darl looks just like one of the thugs that used to get beat up all the time.
jdixon

Aug 31, 2007
6:18 AM EDT
> I could swear that Darl looks just like one of the thugs that used to get beat up all the time.

Right about now, Darl feels like one of those thugs that used to get beat up all the time. :)
theboomboomcars

Aug 31, 2007
9:17 AM EDT
Quoting:How come when I picture the SCO Group's headquarters...

Back at the begging of the SCO's new business model my uncle was contracted to do some renovations for SCO. Thats where he first heard of linux, because the only thing anyone talked about while he was there was the linux law suits. I have had some opportunities to talk to him about it and because of SCO he is curious about linux.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!