Oh, Oh

Story: Review: Dell Inspiron 1420N with UbuntuTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
tuxtom

Aug 30, 2007
4:01 PM EDT
My 70 year old Father just ordered one of these. I kinda nudged him. He was a Mac user for a long time and finally got sick of their own proprietary way of doing things. Plus, Apple "support" had him reformat his entire hard drive to correct a printer driver issue, losing a lot of photos from his recent trips to Asia. (I hate Apple and especially the Mac...and I've tried and tried and tried to like it.) We got a couple of the Dell Inspiron 530 Ubuntu desktops at work and I am absolutely thrilled with them. I am an advanced user, though, who doesn't think twice about editing an xorg.conf or apt-getting codecs from obscure repositories. When my Dad ordered this laptop I ssumed it would be as easy as the desktop. I think it will be OK. I have an Abit motherboard at home with a built-in Intel video chipset that I couldn't get to 1440x900 a few months ago because the driver support wasn't quite there yet. The old man won't be doing 3D gaming, but he absolutely wants to go with an external monitor, so that is what I'm really concerned about. I guess we'll wait and see.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!