Vista attacked by 13-year-old virus

Story: 3 moments in Vista that make me consider LinuxTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
henke54

Sep 17, 2007
10:42 AM EDT
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/17/vista_hit_by_stoned_...
tracyanne

Sep 18, 2007
1:06 AM EDT
A clear demonstration that the idea that computer systems can be made secure by installing anti virus software, is bankrupt.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 18, 2007
1:11 AM EDT
I proves that for all the talk about how "New" everything in Vista is...it isn't.

Otherwise it wouldn't be susceptible to a virus from the computing world's Cretaceous Period would it?
tracyanne

Sep 18, 2007
1:36 AM EDT
It's interesting, I mentioned this to my boss, who is a Windows only type, the first thing he asked was "didn't it have any AV installed?"

This attitude is typical of the Microsoft Windows mindset. No one questions why it's necessary that they install additional software just so they can make their computer secure.

And so many are floored by the idea that Linux doesn't need AV software "How can that be?" they ask, as if AV software is the natural order of the universe.
tracyanne

Sep 18, 2007
2:05 AM EDT
The only Anti Virus software you will ever need..... Linux.
jacog

Sep 18, 2007
2:10 AM EDT
Reminds me of a comment I saw on YouTube under a Beryl/Compiz video... someone wrote "Oh, yeah... looks ok... but can it run AVG Antivirus and Spybot? I don't think so."
dinotrac

Sep 18, 2007
3:32 AM EDT
You guys are being much too harsh.

The real news is that it took a virus with 13 years of experience to crack Vista.

Sounds pretty darned secure to me.
jdixon

Sep 18, 2007
5:26 AM EDT
> ...but can it run AVG Antivirus and Spybot?

Tell them it runs AVG Antivirus with no problems. :) The Linux version is a free download from AVG's website (http://free.grisoft.com). I suspect Spybot would run with no problems under Wine, but I've never tried it.
jacog

Sep 18, 2007
5:38 AM EDT
He also wanted to know if you can run TweakUI on it. :P Oh, and he also mentioned "various optimisation utilities" - whatever those may be.
techiem2

Sep 18, 2007
8:15 AM EDT
Um...doesn't the fact that it's a boot record virus mean that the OS doesn't make any difference? Assuming of course it came from booting an infected disk or some stupidness. Or am I not understanding the workings of boot viruses right?
NoDough

Sep 18, 2007
10:27 AM EDT
techiem2:

You are correct. If these machines were loaded with Linux, and then booted from the infected floppy, they would be infected. The fact that they were running Vista has absolutely nothing to do with the virus.

Also, it's somewhat admirable that after 13 years, the AV software still detected the infestation. Couldn't clean it, but still...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!