Ubuntu might be the problem

Story: Is Linux still too geeky?Total Replies: 33
Author Content
jacog

Sep 18, 2007
2:35 AM EDT
It's the most popular distro, but there are other distributions that are much easier to use, better looking and generally more mature. Yet, Ubuntu is the benchmark by which the non-Linux world seems to measure us.

I run (K)Ubuntu myself, but would definitely not recommend it to a newbie.

And I do object to Gnome as the default desktop. Its philosophy of trying to be as "usable" as possible seems to sacrifice a lot of being "useful".
nikkels

Sep 18, 2007
3:32 AM EDT
Same here. I run Kubuntu as a second, not because I like it that much, because I don't, but because very soon I will have to answer questions from people who want to try it. So, it's better to keep up with the jones's. My main desktop is PCLOS which gives me no problems. Touch wood. It's easy to install , easy to update .
tracyanne

Sep 18, 2007
3:46 AM EDT
You all know which Linux I use, and yes I do think Ubuntu is not the best Linux for a newby.
jacog

Sep 18, 2007
3:48 AM EDT
> You all know which Linux I use

Sabayon? :P
tracyanne

Sep 18, 2007
3:55 AM EDT
Quoting:Sabayon?

Say what?
Abe

Sep 18, 2007
6:22 AM EDT
Quoting:My main desktop is PCLOS which gives me no problems. Touch wood.

Same here and I always said PCLOS is the best distro overall and so far. I run it on two of mine and replaced XP with PCLOS on my 10 & 8 yr nephews' ( & others) computer and they are ecstatic about it.

I also said that K/Ubuntu has potential mostly because of its financial resources and Shuttleworth himself being a smart business man who has done everything right except choosing GNOME instead of KDE for default desktop.

azerthoth

Sep 18, 2007
7:28 AM EDT
I'm with jacog actually, it's only major downfall is that it still uses the gentoo portage system. Regardless of which package manager you use, once in awhile you have to drop back and punt, which means learning portages archaic terminology.

Other than that, Sabayon is about as newbie friendly as you can get.
techiem2

Sep 18, 2007
8:21 AM EDT
*gleefully runs archaic portage commands* :) That said, I wouldn't think of giving gentoo to a newb (unless they were someone who wanted to dive right into the guts of linux workings). I myself first tried linux with slackware back in the day.... I think PCLOS is the best newb friendly distro I've tried too. My mom's comp is running Vector right now, but I haven't been real thrilled with it and plan to switch her back to PCLOS when I have time. (ah the wonders of having a /home partition...)

Steven_Rosenber

Sep 18, 2007
9:45 AM EDT
Here's one way to do it:

New hardware = KDE or GNOME Five-year-old hardware = GNOME Seven-year-old hardware = Xfce 10-year-old hardware = Fluxbox or IceWM

So for me, I like a distro that offers well-configured versions of all of those desktops. Adding Fluxbox to Vector Standard is one of the best things you can do. Not that Fluxbox doesn't work well with just about everything else, but it looks and works so well right out of the (Flux) box with Vector.

One reality we need to deal with is that Linux is often the OS of choice for that, shall we say, vintage computer that is not running so great with Windows anymore. My Mac is 4 years old, but that runs OS X 10.3. My PCs are approximately 10, 9 and 6 years old. I'm about to repair my "newest" laptop, which I think is about 5 or 6 years old -- and that'll be the baby of the bunch.

One of these days I'll build my own, and then maybe I'll be able to enjoy KDE without waiting for everything to open.

My suggestion for newbies: Puppy.

That way they don't have to commit to the install, and besides, Puppy rocks.
Abe

Sep 18, 2007
10:25 AM EDT
Quoting:and then maybe I'll be able to enjoy KDE without waiting for everything to open.
I run PCLOS on a Compaq 1.0GHz, 512BM computer. Never have a slow down with KDE.

You make it sound as if it was bloat ware and slow. On the contrary, It is not.

I recall reading about a benchmark comparison between KDE & GNOME (I can't recall the link), KDE used less memory, was faster and more responsive than GNOME. I am not sure about now though.

They key is to have sufficient memory.

Steven_Rosenber

Sep 18, 2007
10:30 AM EDT
The most I have, currently is 256 MB. My MB is maxed out. When I get my Gateway laptop project going, I'll try to find a 512 MB module. It can take two of those, but I'd rather not spend $75 on a six-year-old laptop. So I'll have 512 plus the current 128 MB for 640 MB. I'll give KDE another try then.
Sander_Marechal

Sep 18, 2007
1:31 PM EDT
Quoting:who has done everything right except choosing GNOME instead of KDE for default desktop.

That's just opinion. Let's not have yet another Gnome v.s. KDE flamewar... yet :-)

Quoting:I recall reading about a benchmark comparison between KDE & GNOME (I can't recall the link), KDE used less memory, was faster and more responsive than GNOME. I am not sure about now though.

I recall only memory usage being measures, with the rest being opinionated as well. KDE did come out slightly if favour on Gnome on memory usage front, but as soon as you started a few applications it didn't matter anyway. Both Firefox as OOo are quite memory hungry and they're not alone. Then again, that's just *my* memory. Being a Gnome man and all.
Abe

Sep 18, 2007
2:14 PM EDT
Quoting:That's just opinion. Let's not have yet another Gnome v.s. KDE flamewar... yet :-)
Of course it is, that goes without saying.

Flamewar!? haven't we had enough of that? I believe we at Lxer are mature enough not to get into one. :)

I believe you are right, it was memory usage (See link). Then again, less code in memory mean less code to execute and could mean faster. Not always so, but it is a good probability.

Don't take me wrong, I just prefer KDE over GNOME. Others might not.

http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/desktop_benchmark.html

Sander_Marechal

Sep 18, 2007
3:05 PM EDT
Yup, that's the very test I was thinking about when I read your previous post.
jacog

Sep 18, 2007
11:58 PM EDT
Well, Gnome, KDE, FluxBox, Enlightenment... it matters not. My main feeling is that if Ubuntu is going to be our community's mouthpiece to the world, it needs to be better than it is.
Sander_Marechal

Sep 19, 2007
1:16 AM EDT
I see no reason for Ubuntu to be the mouthpiece. PCLinuxOS is growing into quite a storm of it's own for example. IIRC it took over the top position in the distrowatch rank from Ubuntu :-) (not that the DW rank says that much).

I think we somehow need to make sure it's not just Ubuntu reviews and tutorials that hit the "mainstream" media.
jacog

Sep 19, 2007
1:43 AM EDT
Perhaps HP would be kind enough to make it their distro of choice for Lin-pre-installed.
tracyanne

Sep 19, 2007
1:57 AM EDT
Quoting:I think we somehow need to make sure it's not just Ubuntu reviews and tutorials that hit the "mainstream" media.

Yes.
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 19, 2007
9:48 AM EDT
It's not out of the realm of possibilities for something besides Ubuntu to be preloaded on something Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, etc., sells. If it's preloaded and somehow supported by a major hardware manufacturer, it will be covered in the mainstream media.

For the time being, the heat is on Ubuntu, and there's really no denying it.
salparadise

Sep 19, 2007
9:18 PM EDT
I really don't understand the negativity towards Gnome - it's just so much more elegant and attractive than any of the alternatives. I've used them all and Gnome is just miles ahead of all the rest. Whilst I realise that it's mostly a matter of taste - some people need to realise that to use KDE is to display a serious lack of taste.

;-)

tracyanne

Sep 19, 2007
11:54 PM EDT
Quoting:some people need to realise that to use KDE is to display a serious lack of taste.

I've never claimed to have taste. But I do like a desktop that works.
jacog

Sep 20, 2007
12:14 AM EDT
His comment was in poor taste. Hope he was kidding.
salparadise

Sep 20, 2007
2:08 AM EDT
sal straps on body armour and a tin hat

I was just joking. Honest guv'.

I never criticised the functionality of one over t'other. Both work very well indeed. It's a personal thing, as all "taste" is. I was merely playing with words and making fun of KDE, because Gnome is better. Oops, I did it again.

I'm just winding y'all up, as is so easy to do with KDE users. Such a serious bunch.

;-)

dinotrac

Sep 20, 2007
4:31 AM EDT
Sal -

It's OK. KDE users, such as myself, really do tend to get wound up a bit.

Frankly, I agree with you.

KDE is a busy and complicated desktop for busy and complicated people.

GNOME is simple and rather empty.
jacog

Sep 20, 2007
4:41 AM EDT
For simple and rather empty people? :-p
Sander_Marechal

Sep 20, 2007
5:03 AM EDT
No, for people who prefer to fuss about with their apps instead of fussing about with their desktop environment :-)
jacog

Sep 20, 2007
5:28 AM EDT
Can E17 be used with Compiz?
jdixon

Sep 20, 2007
5:39 AM EDT
> No, for people who prefer to fuss about with their apps instead of fussing about with their desktop environment.

Yes. All three of them. KDE's wide choice of applications is just too overwhelming for some of us. :)

Maybe that's why I prefer XFCE?
dinotrac

Sep 20, 2007
6:03 AM EDT
>No, for people who prefer to fuss about with their apps instead of fussing about with their desktop environment :-)

There, there, we understand why you'd want to raise a fuss while running GNOME.
gus3

Sep 20, 2007
8:30 AM EDT
jacog: As an E17 user would say, "why would you want to do that? We were doing that stuff six years ago!"

Which doesn't answer the question, but I thought I would get it out there quickly.
dinotrac

Sep 20, 2007
8:34 AM EDT
>but I thought I would get it out there quickly.

I presume that you just wanted to Enlighten us.
azerthoth

Sep 20, 2007
9:08 AM EDT
oof, dino droppings

*holds nose and runs away*
gus3

Sep 20, 2007
8:45 PM EDT
dino: Not particularly. I'm not a regular E user. But I do give every numbered release a test drive, just to see what their current "state of the art" is.

The answer I gave is what your typical E fanbois would say, so I wanted to beat them to the punch. Nothing more. And it looks like I succeeded.
dinotrac

Sep 21, 2007
3:27 AM EDT
gus3 -

Worry not, weedhopper. I just couldn't resist the atrocious pun.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!