Yes or No answer to the following broad question

Story: Linux Freedom Never CriesTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
newtolinux

Sep 20, 2007
6:05 PM EDT
Hi, My plan is to become familiar with Linux by diving in. I will describe what I plan to do, and I will NOT be expecting anyone to spend too much of their time trying to answer such a broad question. A simple"yes it should work" or " no you idiot! give up now!" will suffice.

I currently have 2 computers on a wired LAN (Cable modem, linksys router). One desktop has windows2k pro. The other laptop dual boots in XP Professional and Fedora(7).

What I plan on doing: I want to obtain a static IP address and a domain name then create a small practice network at home. This practice network will include an Apache web server(I will create a simple web page that will include an email link in it).... a Samba server for Linux Windows interaction between my 2 existing workstations... and lastly,a Sendmail server.

My goal is to become familiar with all of these services and also become familiar with remote administration practices.

My Fundamental Question: Will it be possible to run Apache, Samba, and Sendmail on ONE newer desktop? Or will THREE newer desktops be necessary...

Thanks
Abe

Sep 20, 2007
6:43 PM EDT
Quoting:Will it be possible to run Apache, Samba, and Sendmail on ONE newer desktop? Or will THREE newer desktops be necessary...
Yes, they will run on one desktop.

If they are going to run concurrently, I would make sure you have enough memory. 1GB would be good enough.

Are you going to use a database (MySQL), PHP, with Apache? if yes, look for XAMPP stack at this link. It is a snap to install and configure.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

herzeleid

Sep 20, 2007
8:28 PM EDT
Quoting: My Fundamental Question: Will it be possible to run Apache, Samba, and Sendmail on ONE newer desktop? Or will THREE newer desktops be necessary...
Sure, no problem - any modern distro will ship with all those programs anyway, so you can get right to running them, and not futz around with downloading and compiling.

I'm wondering why sendmail though - postfix would IMHO be a better choice - BTW postfix has a sendmail command, which does the stuff sendmail does.

-- KDE/SuSE 10.2 - Unix since 1984, Linux since 1993, SuSE since 2004 Linux 2.6.23-rc7-default #3 SMP Wed Sep 19 20:20:53 PDT 2007 i686
gus3

Sep 20, 2007
9:12 PM EDT
Congratulations on challenging yourself. You will learn a lot, I promise.

Yes, you can do them all on Linux, and still have CPU speed left over for running an office suite. Although, having enough RAM is a good idea, but that's relatively cheap now. If you're talking about a dedicated system for your network services, if you can run Windows and Office on it now, you can probably run Linux and your services on it later, without any expansion required.

I understand why you would ask the question you did. In the recent past, the most common complaint about Windows servers was that you could have only one major service (web, email, database) on a system. More than that, and it would become unstable. The cost savings of Linux, or other Unix-based system, was a common reason cited for ditching several Windows servers for a single *nix server.

Here's a question for you: why the static IP? It is possible to set up all of those services (even email) on a system that presents a dynamic IP address to the outside Internet, and still have your internal network for experimenting. Although, it did take me a few days to configure my setup like that. It wasn't easy, but I did it, and learned how to do it. You may consider the extra $$$ worth it to get your self-assigned studies underway. But, if you're interested in a free dynamic DNS name, I suggest you check out DynDNS.org.

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

I know this is a seven-dollar answer for your nickel question, but a little extra consideration now may become the more sensible approach later.
newtolinux

Sep 23, 2007
12:55 PM EDT
Quoted: It is possible to set up all of those services (even email) on a system that presents a dynamic IP address to the outside Internet, and still have your internal network for experimenting.

Thanks gus3.

Having tried (and failed) to setup an Active Directory in VMWare, I guess I was leery of adding a "layer of complexity" out of the gate. I have reviewed the site that you referred me to and I see no reason why I shouldn't try your suggestion first. I know that I'll port forward ports 80 22 25 and I'm sure that Sendmail (or postfix) will require specific ports too forward also. I'm also guessing that Samba is designed to work with private addressing to begin with, so Dynamic Domain Naming should have little to do with that service.
newtolinux

Sep 23, 2007
1:21 PM EDT
Quoted: I'm wondering why sendmail though - postfix would IMHO be a better choice -

Thanks Herzeleid

I googled "fedora postfix" and it looks like there are plenty of 'basic' instructional articles. I'm going to need them!
newtolinux

Sep 23, 2007
1:34 PM EDT
Quoted: Are you going to use a database (MySQL), PHP, with Apache? if yes, look for XAMPP stack at this link. It is a snap to install and configure.

Thanks Abe.

No. I'm not familiar with writing or implementing any of the dynamic languages that you have mentioned. I'm just hoping that I can throw in a page with some semblance of structure, and create a link to my email server. If I can successfully implement all of the services that I have mentioned, I will at least have developed a 'conceptual' knowledge of such services. THEN... when I need to learn specific syntax to various commands, I will hopefully be more familiar with the directory structure and overall architecture of a Linux environment.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!