Micro$oft won't commit to the open document standard

Story: Defending OpennessTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
henke54

Sep 25, 2007
10:39 AM EDT
Quoting:Now consider this from Brian Jones, a Microsoft manager who has worked on OOXML for six years. In July, Jones was asked on his blog whether Microsoft would actually commit to conform to an officially standardised OOXML. His response:

“It’s hard for Microsoft to commit to what comes out of Ecma [the European standards group that has already OK’d OOXML] in the coming years, because we don’t know what direction they will take the formats. We’ll of course stay active and propose changes based on where we want to go with Office 14. At the end of the day, though, the other Ecma members could decide to take the spec in a completely different direction. ... Since it’s not guaranteed, it would be hard for us to make any sort of official statement.”

Now that’s cynical. After all this work to make OOXML a formal, independent standard — a standard created and promoted by Microsoft, remember — Microsoft won’t agree to follow it.

Sorta puts Microsoft’s giddy public optimism in perspective, doesn’t it?
http://www.techworld.com/storage/features/index.cfm?featurei...
techiem2

Sep 25, 2007
10:52 AM EDT
All that work into showing how MS doesn't truly care about real open standards, yet he doesn't even mention the already ISO approved ODF...
Abe

Sep 25, 2007
11:15 AM EDT
Quoting:It’s hard for Microsoft to commit to what comes out of Ecma...
As if we haven't known that already!

If this is not enough evidence for ECMA & ISO to consider when voting in next round, I don't know what is!

The vote should be outstanding "NO"

If that is what they are saying about OOXML, which is being pushed to be an ISO standard, I wonder what will they do with .Net & Silverlight! Some people never learn. :)

Sander_Marechal

Sep 25, 2007
1:13 PM EDT
Thanks. I Posted it to the queue.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!