How to Quit Windows and cope...

Story: How to Quit Windows and cope with Windows Withdrawal SyndromeTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Sep 26, 2007
5:22 AM EDT
Thank you Dr. Saleem Khan. This will be shared with the people I am trying to convert.
gus3

Sep 26, 2007
8:02 AM EDT
My first thought when I read the title: "Withdrawal from what? Viruses, trojans, security nightmares, unauthorized upgrades, DRM, BSOD, maybe all at once?"

I will not forgive M$ for what they permitted to happen to my hard drive, 9 years ago. When I got the Chernobyl virus, it wiped my partition table, and I lost both Windows and Linux. After how many years of computer viruses, they were still allowing that to happen?

Screw 'em. I went with 100% Linux, and have never regretted it.
techiem2

Sep 26, 2007
8:39 AM EDT
I remember that outbreak... I was fortunate enough not to catch it, but worked on comps of dormmates who did...

And yeah, withdrawal from what? The only windows install I have now is on my dual booting work laptop, and I rarely need to use it at work. I sometimes use it at home for a couple games, but that's it (and some of them I could setup in wine if I so chose).

It's not like I'd die if I had to give up those particular games.
herzeleid

Sep 26, 2007
8:46 AM EDT
LOL, windoze withdrawal? Was that the happy dance, or the hallelujah chorus?

Seriously,I've heard mention of windoze addiction, but I could never quite understand it - I suppose it's all a matter of some people's innate aversity to change of any kind.

We've been all mac and linux at our house for a couple of years now, and trust me, the only thing we're missing out on are the viruses, spyware, popups. and the constant hotfixes and reboots.
Abe

Sep 26, 2007
10:16 AM EDT
I never had or used a PC with Windows on it (other than at work), I started using PC about 1997. I had a Mac before and when I started looking into Linux in 1999, it was on Alpha machine. Then I brought home a PC from work and installed Linux. I am addicted to Linux now and I doubt I will get addicted to Windows.

I believe the author is right, there are lots of people who have Windows addiction and they have to go through a withdrawal syndrome to move to Linux. Those are the NBMers.

phsolide

Sep 26, 2007
10:17 AM EDT
"Windows withdrawal" isn't really unique: I encountered some engineers who had "VMS Withdrawal" in 1987-88. This was back when a Micro-VAX II would run $90,000, while a *faster*, more capable Sun 3/260 would run $65,000, and be easier to use to boot. One engineer actually described VMS as something like an opiate, that he had to have to use a computer. The Sun actually came with usable documentation, while the system admin group actually locked up the VMS "grey wall" of manuals, and limited access to it strictly. Weird situtation, I know, but the symptons of "Windows Withdrawal" match that of "VMS Withdrawal" exactly.

I suspect some underlying syndrome or cause, but I've always felt puzzled by this.
techiem2

Sep 26, 2007
10:31 AM EDT
Now Linux withdrawal..... *shudder*

:)
Abe

Sep 26, 2007
10:39 AM EDT
Quoting:I encountered some engineers who had "VMS Withdrawal" in 1987-88.
I still suffer from it today although I still manage about 5 VMS locally and some remotely.

Quoting:This was back when a Micro-VAX II would run $90,000, while a *faster*, more capable Sun 3/260 would run $65,000, and be easier to use to boot.
VAX/AXP/VMS wasn't about speed or cost, it was about reliability, scalability, robustness, user friendliness...
Quoting:The Sun actually came with usable documentation, while the system admin group actually locked up the VMS "grey wall" of manuals, and limited access to it strictly. Weird situation, I know, but the symptons of "Windows Withdrawal" match that of "VMS Withdrawal" exactly.
I don't know about keeping docs under lock, because the same docs were available online at the command line via the help command, all of them, and eventually on CD.

VMS had the best elaborate technical documentation at that time and best of all, full of examples. that is why it was user admin friendly.

Quoting:Weird situtation, I know, but the symptons of "Windows Withdrawal" match that of "VMS Withdrawal" exactly.
I wouldn't say exactly. I would describe "VMS Withdrawal" like weaning oneself from having too much sugar or sweets. :)

tracyanne

Sep 26, 2007
1:00 PM EDT
I suffer Linux withdrawal every day, about the time I arrive at work.
herzeleid

Sep 26, 2007
1:04 PM EDT
Quoting: I suffer Linux withdrawal every day, about the time I arrive at work.
Ugh. I feel your pain. That kind of pain would drive me to find a job doing what I like.
Sander_Marechal

Sep 26, 2007
2:06 PM EDT
So far I've been lucky enough that my bosses don't care what OS I use as long as I get my work done. I haven;t seriously used a Windows box at work since 4 jobs/positions/bosses ago.
herzeleid

Sep 26, 2007
3:49 PM EDT
Quoting: sander: So far I've been lucky enough that my bosses don't care what OS I use as long as I get my work done. I haven;t seriously used a Windows box at work since 4 jobs/positions/bosses ago.
In every job interview since 1996 or so, I've made a point of clearing up that question before I accept, or even seriously consider, an offer. If their policy dictates that I'd have to use ms windoze, then I thank them for their interest, but let them know that I don't want to have to work under those conditions.
tracyanne

Sep 26, 2007
7:46 PM EDT
Quoting:That kind of pain would drive me to find a job doing what I like.

Unfortunately it's this job or the dole, or move back to the city. At the moment it's the lesser of the evils.
gus3

Sep 26, 2007
8:40 PM EDT
I'm with herzeleid. If any of their servers, or any machines I'm in charge of, is running Windows, forget it. I will not be the one responsible for keeping that stinking pile of dung up and running.

no, no animosity here, noooooo....
herzeleid

Sep 26, 2007
9:14 PM EDT
> no, no animosity here, noooooo....

Hehe, really it's not animosity - I just don't want to be the one called at 3 AM to go fix some silly blue screened windoze server. There's plenty of folks around who just eat that microsoft nonsense up, so let them handle it, and I'll play maytag repairman with my linux servers.

Having said that, I have done work on windoze occasionally, under duress - e.g. installing netgrity siteminder on windoze (and asking "does anyone know why this app is being run on windoze?") But as for my main workstation, that can't be windoze. I need at least a corner of sanity from which to work.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!