spoiled by Dreamweaver

Story: KompoZer revives Mozilla WYSIWYG Web editing softwareTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
tuxchick

Oct 01, 2007
10:10 AM EDT
I've yet to see a graphical web designer that comes even close to Dreamweaver. Bluefish, NVU, and Quanta (to me) made it more difficult, not easier. With Dreamweaver you get genuine drag-and-drop page construction, one-click batch changes, built-in FTP, and other nice goodies that I forget now. It also had a number of problems, mainly odd bugs and too expensive, and then Adobe bought Macromedia, which finished it for me. Not to mention there is no Linux version, which is fatal for anyone who does not care to become a member of the World Wide Botnet.

Sooo...this looks interesting and worth testing.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 01, 2007
10:33 AM EDT
Bluefish is not a graphical web designer. It's all code based. So no wonder it fails your test.

That said, as an experienced web developer myself, any half decent text editor that has an auto-indent feature is better that any graphical editor. Dreamweaver included.
Abe

Oct 01, 2007
10:50 AM EDT
I think it has a great potential and will eventually compete against MS VS for web services development. It is going to take time and effort. I believe Mozilla organization would a good organization to get involved with project or take it under its wings. Google and IBM would be ideal helpful companies in supporting this effort.

jacog

Oct 02, 2007
2:17 AM EDT
I am a web dev meself and I abhor graphical editors. My version of WYSIWYG is that the code I write is the code I get. And I am a very front end and design-oriented person who gets a kick out of good-looking interfaces.

I do like code assistance though in the form of dropdowns showing possible parameters to commands, possible arguments to functions, auto indentation, syntax highlighting etc.
tracyanne

Oct 02, 2007
3:06 AM EDT
Quoting:I do like code assistance though in the form of dropdowns showing possible parameters to commands, possible arguments to functions, auto indentation, syntax highlighting etc.

In which case KompoZer has a long way to go. It's certainly no competition for Dreamweaver, in fact it's barely any different from NVU.
Abe

Oct 02, 2007
7:57 AM EDT
Quoting:I am a web dev meself and I abhor graphical editors. My version of WYSIWYG is that the code I write is the code I get. And I am a very front end and design-oriented person who gets a kick out of good-looking interfaces.

I am the same way. On the other hand, helpful tools that lets you do both you can't complain about and is not bad at all.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!