it is a nice distribution

Story: Is Ubuntu losing its crown to PCLinuxOS?Total Replies: 7
Author Content
tuxchick

Oct 03, 2007
2:03 PM EDT
It's early to say much, but so far I like it. I abuse it the same way I abuse all of my Linuxes, the poor thing, mixing up source installs and mixing repos and fun stuff.

It's on my Thinkpad T61. Getting sound working meant installing a 2.6.22 kernel from their Testing repo. Wifi worked right away, but I'm having some performance problems I haven't debugged yet; it's very slow. It doesn't have the Intel 965 video driver, so I only get 2D with the generic VESA driver. The Intel chipset that powers sound and video is supposed to be supported in Linux with open drivers, but they're so new they're not included in a lot of distributions yet.

I haven't tried the modem yet, or suspend and hibernate.

One thing the Ubuntu family does better than anyone is customize Gnome and KDE sensibly, with nice clean well-organized system menus. The system menu in PCLinux seems cluttery and chaotic by comparison. Other than that, it's making a favorable impression.

Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 (1.8GHz) 14.1" WXGA 1GB DDR2 ram 80GB hard drive Dual Layer DVD Burner Graphics- Intel GMA X3100 10/100/1000Mbps ethernet 802.11a/b/g Atheros

Oh, and like all Thinkpads I've ever owned, the DVD/CD drive died a week after I got it. It's a jinx.
ColonelPanik

Oct 03, 2007
2:17 PM EDT
I have to agree with tuxchick on every point (well my sound did work). I do not have 2007 but the newer one (testing?).

The forum layout for PCLinux is clunky also. However the folks on the forum are clever enough and friendly.

purplewizard

Oct 03, 2007
2:41 PM EDT
I didn't bother with it post install when I found it didn't handle my wireless card without doing a download, impossible as I connect to the internet with my wireless card. So as Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu (my preference) run my wireless from install I just don't boot into PCLinuxOS.

From that first boot or two it seemed pleasant enough, I'll just probably never know.
nikkels

Oct 04, 2007
4:04 AM EDT
To ColonelPanic,

""""I do not have 2007 but the newer one (testing?). """""

And which one will that be ? ? ? 2008 and a half ?

""""The forum layout for PCLinux is clunky also""""

It's the same as that of a 100 other forums.

ColonelPanik

Oct 06, 2007
8:18 AM EDT
mikkels, on the Distrowatch page for PCLinuxOS there is a release (pre-release) to the left of 2007, (apt?) that's what I am using. It seems to get updated every day, so ...? I hope they call it 2007.01

Forum just isn't as user friendly as the Ubuntu, but give me some time to get used to it.

I am looking at these things with n00bie eyes, trying to see what someone with out any tech experience would see. So far I do like the distro, I think as a Live CD it is as good as Knoppix. I have been talking it up.

As an old dude who spends too much time in the sun, I make mistakes, post in the wrong spot on the forums from time to time, if some forum Nazi reams my butt for that, I am gone. I need those forums, man do I need those forums, but it has to be friendly. The layout has to be such that I can find things without spending too much time. Okay, the PCLinuxOS forums are not clunky, I am clunky, but the end result could be that PCLOS loses a user. And a vocal advocate.

Tux. Guaranteeing your freedom. There is no alternative.

Scott_Ruecker

Oct 24, 2007
10:12 AM EDT
Well, I had been using the live CD for a day or two and decided to install it on my Laptop. It installed fine, recognized everything fine, just like it did running live, and all is well.

My wireless seems faster too, but I won't swear to it yet.

Scott

Steven_Rosenber

Oct 24, 2007
10:25 AM EDT
Scott, did it handle your wireless with WPA?

Scott_Ruecker

Oct 24, 2007
10:31 AM EDT
Yes, it even had WPA already selected in the configuration window just waiting for my password.

It was quite possibly the most painless wireless configuration I have ever done.

Edit: I am on my Laptop now on the other side of my place from my WiFi Netgear router

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!