NYT mentions Linux positively.

Story: The Next Leap for LinuxTotal Replies: 31
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Oct 04, 2007
9:56 AM EDT
Next up on NYT, why Ron Paul could win the nomination.

Oh, sorry, just kidding. That's one story the NYT will never run.
jdixon

Oct 04, 2007
11:10 AM EDT
> That's one story the NYT will never run.

Well, not as long as Ron Paul is running as a Republican. If he were a Democrat they'd be all over the news that he raised $5 million last quarter.
tuxchick

Oct 04, 2007
11:30 AM EDT
Another story the NYT will never run: "Bob Robertson stays on topic"
bigg

Oct 04, 2007
11:38 AM EDT
Actually, I just saw this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/us/politics/04paul.html
Bob_Robertson

Oct 04, 2007
12:40 PM EDT
Ah, NYT subscription hell. I'll see if Google has a cache of it...

On topic? Just what is the topic of this thread anyway? (not the story, of course, just the thread...)

Ah, this worked: [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/us/politics/04paul.html&btnG=Google Search]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=http://www.nytimes.com/...[/url]

Sarchasm: n. The gap between the author of a sarcastic comment, and the receiver who doesn't get it. :^)
tuxchick

Oct 04, 2007
12:45 PM EDT
Bob, it's tiresome and boring how you try to derail so many discussions into political spew. This is a Linux site. The NYT story is about Linux. Don't play dumb. (I'm assuming you're playing...)
number6x

Oct 04, 2007
1:02 PM EDT
If Linux were a trend (like capri pants for men, or down vests) appearing in the NYT would mean that the trend has jumped the shark.

It would start showing up in places like Jupiter FL and Peoria IL soon.

Here is an example of a trend in bicycling being showcased in the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/nyregion/thecity/29gear.ht...

And here is someone from the bike industry who follows trends catching what the true meaning of appearing in the NYT means for trends(see sign #4): http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2007/06/seven-signs-of-fixed...

Note for point #6 from the Bike Snob. I have had people tell me "I want Linux on my computer. What is Linux?" in that order.

Thankfully Linux is not a trend.

PS - the NYT article is a waste of time, but the Bike Snob is hilarious.
jdixon

Oct 04, 2007
1:11 PM EDT
> Actually, I just saw this...

Well, that doesn't qualify as "all over the news" but it's still something nice to have been wrong about.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 04, 2007
1:14 PM EDT
> it's tiresome and boring how you try to derail so many discussions into political spew.

There should be some way around here for you to ignore anything I write, that would solve the problem without any difficulties.

> Don't play dumb. (I'm assuming you're playing...)

My 7th grade science teacher had a way off writing the word assume: Ass-u-me. Maybe, just maybe, I am stupid (unless you really do mean "unable to speak", which does not fit the context and is easily disproven). What would you do then?

This thread is not directly about Linux. The story was, but I did not write the story. I did start the thread.

Linux gets a lot of so-so press because of misunderstanding and deliberate malfeasance. So does Dr. Paul. I'm just as surprised when a Microsoft-saturated publication does a pro-Linux article, as I am when the NYT (or CNN, etc) mentions Dr. Paul. So there it is, the connection and context.

dinotrac

Oct 04, 2007
1:29 PM EDT
>Bob, it's tiresome and boring how you try to derail so many discussions into political spew.

Oh, TC, lighten up. It takes (at least) two do derail a discussion and anybody who doesn't want to play along can skip over.

I agree that random popouts are not to be encouraged, but we are talking about the fact that Linux was mentioned in the NYT, which, to me, invites a broader discussion of what it means to be mentioned in the NYT.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 04, 2007
1:43 PM EDT
>I agree that random popouts are not to be encouraged, but we are talking about the fact that Linux was mentioned in the NYT, which, to me, invites a broader discussion of what it means to be mentioned in the NYT.

I believe the positive tone of the article to be as important as it being in the New York Times. A positive article like that in the NYT can't do too much harm, can it?
tuxchick

Oct 04, 2007
1:45 PM EDT
I avoid the threads that are politically derailed and have not crabbed at Bob's off-topic politicking before. I'm entitled to one crab!
jdixon

Oct 04, 2007
2:17 PM EDT
> I'm entitled to one crab!

TC, if we ever meet in person, I'll try to buy you a whole bucket. :) Do you prefer hard or soft shelled?
dinotrac

Oct 04, 2007
2:45 PM EDT
> I'm entitled to one crab!

Absolutely. There are times when crabbiness makes the world go round.

Besides, who can stand the thought of universal smiliness?

Makes my skin crawl.
tuxchick

Oct 04, 2007
2:46 PM EDT
jdixon, as long as they're cooked and not fighting back, they're all good!
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 04, 2007
3:56 PM EDT
I tried to keep it on track,

I tried..
jdixon

Oct 04, 2007
5:43 PM EDT
> I tried..

We know Scott. No one blames you.
dinotrac

Oct 04, 2007
5:48 PM EDT
>No one blames you.

I blame him. For everything.
jdixon

Oct 04, 2007
6:09 PM EDT
> I blame him.

Well, no one who matters. :)
tuxchick

Oct 04, 2007
6:38 PM EDT
I was going to take issue with NYT's "difficult to install and set up" comments, but the 2.6 kernel has been a roller-coaster since about 2.6.8, what with udev and hotplug and network manager, and zeroconf having nothing to conf, and sound and video going bonkers, and other key subsystems like wireless and init getting flung into woodchippers and re-written.

So. Never mind.
bigg

Oct 04, 2007
7:57 PM EDT
I thought this quote was strange:

"When you run that program you get an ominous warning that downloading and installing “non-free codecs without paying a fee to the concerned authorities constitutes a CRIME in the United States of America.” Users in the United States are advised: “please do not install option AUD-DVD.” Users who ignore that legal warning can then configure Ubuntu to play commercial DVDs."

He didn't mention CNR, which does work with Ubuntu. It doesn't seem to work perfectly yet, but I did use it to get codecs.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 04, 2007
10:23 PM EDT
Plus, Linux users in the US can get legal, open source codecs for their DVD's through Fluendo.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 04, 2007
11:29 PM EDT
>I blame him. For everything.

As well you should!!

LOL!!
Bob_Robertson

Oct 05, 2007
7:48 AM EDT
> He didn't mention CNR, which does work with Ubuntu. It doesn't seem to work perfectly yet, but I did use it to get codecs.

It's been my experience that whenever the NYT runs a story that is not well aligned with their editorial opinion, which is a nice way of saying that they don't like it but they can't directly lie about it in this case, they "damn with faint praise".

It's not just Linux. The NYT doesn't run stories about self defense with firearms, how the Federal Reserve inflates the money supply, the failures of central planning, etc. Even my first post in this thread, that the NYT would never print a story about how Dr. Paul _could_win_ has not been disproven. I am on the border of surprise to see that they mention Paul as a presidential candidate _at_all_.

So the "obscure" fact that there are indeed legal codecs for Linux didn't make it into the story, while the dire warning in big capital letters did.

"All the news that's fit to print, as long as we get to decide what is fit."
Abe

Oct 05, 2007
11:09 AM EDT
Quoting:Plus, Linux users in the US can get legal, open source codecs for their DVD's through Fluendo.
Are you saying that individual users can download them but distros can't distribute them?

If distros can distribute them, I wonder why they are not including them in their releases. May be they are. I wouldn't know since I have no DVD and never bothered to look.

bigg

Oct 05, 2007
11:48 AM EDT
> Are you saying that individual users can download them but distros can't distribute them?

Only the MP3 is free from Fluendo. You have to pay for the others. The new opensuse supposedly points users to Fluendo when they can't play a file. The distributions themselves are not able to distribute codecs.
montezuma

Oct 05, 2007
11:51 AM EDT
The next version of Ubuntu has plug and play printers (I have been putting in debugging reports so you can blame me if it doesn't work properly ;-)). Till Kamppeter of Mandrake fame has done the work. Should be interesting to see the reaction of the NYT to that will be. A few distro versions back CUPS was pretty shakey on Ubuntu. Seems much improved now.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 05, 2007
1:44 PM EDT
I saw something to the effect that Ubuntu Gutsy will eliminate the need for Automatix. If it can somehow get all the codecs in there for audio and video and do a good job on autoconfiguration of wireless, that will be huge.
tuxchick

Oct 05, 2007
2:42 PM EDT
Printing was shaky on Ubuntu because Ubuntu devs broke it. They disabled the CUPS web interface for "security" reasons, and disabled network sharing of printers. (And yet avahi-daemon and Bluetooth are enabled by default- ahem.) So users were left with the Gnome printer manager, which was lacking a lot of features like network printing, or the KDE printer manager, which never did work right on Kubuntu, and would spit out "cannot contact the CUPS server" messages whenever you tried to do anything.

So us ace geeks helped meeelyuns of buntu users turn the CUPS web interface back on, and enable printer sharing. CUPS works great all by itself, including auto-detection of both local and network printers- why would anyone want to mess with it?
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 05, 2007
2:53 PM EDT
Once I figured out the "secret" of CUPS, at least in my weird-ass networking setup at work, I found much new love for CUPS.

My secret? the Administration button. When my favorite printer doesn't automatically come up, I hit Administration, and presto, there it is.
dinotrac

Oct 05, 2007
3:02 PM EDT
>My secret? the Administration button.

Tis a wonderful thing. I've embarrassed a Windows guy or two by printing out to network printers long before they were even sorted out.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 05, 2007
3:14 PM EDT
Even though Apple uses CUPS and now owns it, I've had way more trouble with printing through OS X than I have ever had in Linux.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!