devil's advocate

Story: Ex-Linspire chief defects to UbuntuTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
herzeleid

Oct 17, 2007
10:12 PM EDT
What if Mr Carmony is not disloyal, but rather actually has some loyalty to *linux*, and thus couldn't abide the mess which linspire has become as a result of the microsoft sellout?

Logic dictates that he would want to go work with a distro that has no such microsoft tendencies, does it not?
tuxchick

Oct 17, 2007
10:37 PM EDT
Well, he was the boss at Linspire, so presumably any messes were of his own making.

As you say, loyalty to linux is a nice thing.
tracyanne

Oct 18, 2007
12:02 AM EDT
Quoting:Well, he was the boss at Linspire, so presumably any messes were of his own making.

Maybe the defection to Ubuntu is to get him in a position where he will do the same as he did for Linspire, sign a deal with Microsoft.
azerthoth

Oct 18, 2007
3:03 AM EDT
You guys got more out of that article than I did, all I got was he was 'Full of Mitt'.
jacog

Oct 18, 2007
3:09 AM EDT
My first thought was... what's he saying? Is he saying he just used Linspire while he worked at the comapany BECAUSE he worked there, and really didn't think it was all that great a product?
dinotrac

Oct 18, 2007
4:25 AM EDT
jacog -

That should make him look REALLY good to potential employers, eh?

It's one thing to use products and services because they are the ones you sell. It's another to bash them publicly when you're gone.

That's a real class act.
NoDough

Oct 18, 2007
4:32 AM EDT
Quoting:Is he saying he just used Linspire while he worked at the comapany BECAUSE he worked there, ...
Yes, obviously.

Quoting: ...and really didn't think it was all that great a product?
Now, by my reading, you made that up out of whole cloth.
jacog

Oct 18, 2007
4:57 AM EDT
Quoting:Now, by my reading, you made that up out of whole cloth.

Just interpreting. It certainly sounds to me like he said he only used it out of obligation. And if he actually was behind the product, is it not reasonable of me to think that he'd not have dumped it so soon after leaving the company?
NoDough

Oct 18, 2007
6:00 AM EDT
Quoting:Just interpreting.
Which is fine. But in your previous post you directly questioned whether he was "saying" that. He didn't.

Quoting:it certainly sounds to me like he said he only used it out of obligation.
He most definitely said that.

Quoting:And if he actually was behind the product, is it not reasonable of me to think that he'd not have dumped it so soon after leaving the company?
It's logical to deduce that he was not really behind the product. However, it is not proven by anything he said in this article.
dinotrac

Oct 18, 2007
6:04 AM EDT
>However, it is not proven by anything he said in this article.

OTOH, this is neither science, math, nor a court of law. CEO level talent should not have a tin ear to the inferences people can reasonably be expected to draw.
jacog

Oct 18, 2007
6:16 AM EDT
Quoting:Which is fine. But in your previous post you directly questioned whether he was "saying" that. He didn't.

Now you are being silly... the word "saying" was used as a colloquial figure of speech.

As in "What are you saying?" - the sentence does not imply the speaker can not understand/hear what the other is saying, it's understood to imply that the speaker thinks there's more to the other person's statement than is immediately apparent.
tuxchick

Oct 18, 2007
6:41 AM EDT
How many ex-CEOs can dance on the head of a pin?
dinotrac

Oct 18, 2007
6:50 AM EDT
>How many ex-CEOs can dance on the head of a pin?

None. They pull the strings on a flunky who performs the actual dance.
NoDough

Oct 18, 2007
10:15 AM EDT
Quoting:Now you are being silly... the word "saying" was used as a colloquial figure of speech.
Yes, it was. And that's the context I was responding to. Did he say (infer) that he didn't think Linspire was that great a product? No, he simply stated that he now had options. As a matter of fact, he lists Linspire and Freespire as two of those options.

If you believe that more is inferred by his statement, then I would be interested in your elaboration.

Added:
Quoting:CEO level talent should not have a tin ear to the inferences people can reasonably be expected to draw.
Good point, BTW.
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 18, 2007
10:39 AM EDT
I remember Carmony, right after stepping down as CEO, saying that he'd continue to use Linspire.

NoDough

Oct 18, 2007
11:26 AM EDT
Perhaps you were thinking of this...

Quoting:While he may be leaving Linspire, Carmony said, "I will always be a big supporter of Linspire and desktop Linux." And, "I will always be a desktop Linux user."
...from here...

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8364062244.html
tuxchick

Oct 18, 2007
11:41 AM EDT
If you read the Ubuntu forum thread, it sounds to me like he's hinting for a job. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!