Errored out on me

Story: Explanation of Ubuntu Hard Drive Wear and TearTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
ArcherB

Oct 24, 2007
11:18 AM EDT
I got the following:

sudo hdparm -B 255 /dev/hda

/dev/hda: setting Advanced Power Management level to disabled HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Input/output error

Should I be worried? This is a desktop system. Is this limited to laptops?

NoDough

Oct 25, 2007
6:11 AM EDT
OK, I know this is a stupid question, but I always start with the basics.

Do you have a /dev/hda? Is it possible that your HD is /dev/sda?
ArcherB

Dec 18, 2007
3:44 PM EDT
bryan@ubuntu:~$ mount /dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro) /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw) /dev/sda1 on /media/sda1 type ext3 (rw,noatime) /dev/sda2 on /media/sda2 type ext3 (rw,noatime)

bryan@ubuntu:~$ sudo hdparm -B 255 /dev/hda

/dev/hda: setting Advanced Power Management level to disabled HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Input/output error

bryan@ubuntu:~$ sudo hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda

/dev/sda: setting Advanced Power Management level to disabled HDIO_DRIVE_CMD failed: Input/output error

While it was entirely possible that there was no hda because I don't think I checked, evidently, there is. So, no, that was not a stupid question. (I clipped most of the message from the mount command. My varlock mount or whatever isn't really important.)
Abe

Dec 18, 2007
5:28 PM EDT
Quoting:Man pages

-B Set Advanced Power Management feature, if the drive supports it. A low value means aggressive power management and a high value means better performance. A value of 255 will disable apm on the drive.
I guess the key phrase is "if the drive supports it."

Well, does it?

Quoting:DESCRIPTION hdparm provides a command line interface to various hard disk ioctls supported by the Linux SATA/PATA/SAS "libata" subsystem and the older IDE driver subsystem. Some options may work correctly only with the latest kernels.

The key phrase here is "Some options may work correctly only with the latest kernels"

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!