What to make of it

Story: Where are the American Linux desktop users?Total Replies: 1
Author Content
purplewizard

Oct 24, 2007
2:45 PM EDT
I don't know what to make of this but I find it interesting. To speculate I wonder if across Europe we are living with either Xenophobia against US dependence, a reflection of distrust or just feeling freer because we don't have to worry (perhaps a little) about software patents and the Microsoft FUD. Plus that the EU Commission has proved to have more reason, will or balls to deal with anti competitive practices (even if I think they should have in fact gone further).
vainrveenr

Oct 24, 2007
3:27 PM EDT
Apparently, almost the complete opposite situation is happening with some of the BRIC nations. India is VERY heavily contributing to, and relying upon, the U.S. IT field. For India, one sees this as a prevalence of superb technical familiarity both with F/OSS and MS server/desktop software, outsourcing companies located in their homeland providing complete server/desktop support, in-house development and company ownership in major US metropiltan areas, ..... etc, etc, etc. For China, this applies as a continually increasing government and business acceptance and adaptation of U.S. software products. As a vivid example of this very dependence in China and Japan, witness TurboLinux's IP Patent "deal" with Microsoft announced this week, http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/94439/index.html Again, little Xenophobia in such nations against US dependence, compared to the situation in Europe.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!