Wish Someone At My Company Would Wake Up

Story: Sometimes 330,000 employees makes life easier!Total Replies: 2
Author Content
moopst

Oct 24, 2007
9:16 PM EDT
I'm at Lockheed Martin, only 130,000 here, but they are hopelessly tied to the XP desktop. About eight months ago they started on this Technology Adoption Program, or TAP, to study the Vista operating system. Haven't heard a peep out of them since.

I keep pushing for open source on my project. Our backend is Solaris but we have Windows web servers. There are some Red Hat machines around on other projects. The big push is switching to sftp for our internal files we push out (so '90's). Freaken PeopleSoft core dumps on some of our xml services. Imagine that, it doesn't like the xml so it dumps core! I miss Xalan and Xercies I was working with back in 'ought one.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 24, 2007
9:29 PM EDT
I used to work at DHL. That's what? A million people worldwide? Just do what FOSS does best. Guerilla tactics and sneaking in the backdoor. Just use a Live CD and see how far it goes. If it appears to work, you can try making your machine dual-boot. It really depends on the applications that you use whether or not this is feasible.

I did the same thing at DHL and ran Ubuntu for two years there. Occasionally I showed it to my colleguas who would go "Ohhh" and "Ahhh" on it. I always had to laugh out loud when everyone was having big problems with their Windows machines and I just kept on working. The best part was when Central IT found out about it (I worked in IT as well, but not Central IT).

Them: What's that? Me: Linux. Been running it for years now. Them: We don't support Linux. Me: I'm not asking you to support it, am I? Them: Uh... But... <sigh>

:-)
tracyanne

Oct 25, 2007
12:25 AM EDT
There's just the two of us where I work, and my boss is wedded to MS Windows. On the other hand he inadvertently advertises Linux to our customers on a regular basis (when he explains how our websites and other technology will support multiple browsers and multiple operating systems, which he names - Windows, Macintosh and Linux)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!