MS Xandros

Story: Up close with the Eee PC user interface - part 1Total Replies: 17
Author Content
jacog

Nov 06, 2007
12:10 AM EDT
So... I understand the logic in trying to create distro that is Windows-like in operation... but is it really abso-flaming-lutely necessary to have precisely cloned Windows XP "Silver" style title bars? Is the general public so dumb that they won't know how to close, minimise etc a window if the windows don't look exactly like they do in Winders XP? Surely, as long at the buttons are in the same place, it should nto be so hard to figure out that a white X in the top-right corner means the same as a red X in the top-right corner?

And I am not fishing for whinging about the patent deal. :P The Eee looks intriguing - tainted filthy distro, or not.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 06, 2007
1:13 AM EDT
So, get one and reflash it with Debian or something. Then write up a review and submit it to LXer for publication :-)
jacog

Nov 06, 2007
1:34 AM EDT
Haha... not brave enough I'm afraid.

Cluck.
jdixon

Nov 06, 2007
3:22 AM EDT
> So, get one and reflash it with Debian or something.

Not at the current $400 price tag. If it drops down under $300 and Best Buy ever gets them in (they're one of the listed retailers), I'll take a closer look.
bigg

Nov 06, 2007
3:27 AM EDT
> Not at the current $400 price tag.

That's what has had me confused about this whole thing. I can get a real laptop for $400, so I don't understand what is the advantage of the Eee PC. Being different is not enough. I don't see any way that it is different (small screen, poor specs) in a way that would make it a sensible purchase.
jacog

Nov 06, 2007
3:37 AM EDT
The selling point is meant to be the size of it. It is quite small and light. For some people that might be important. I don't mind hauling a laptop around m'self - and this old bucket 'o poop we have here is pretty durn heavy.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 06, 2007
3:42 AM EDT
If it would have been sold for the originally touted price of $200, I'd have bought one already.
jdixon

Nov 06, 2007
3:45 AM EDT
> I can get a real laptop for $400, so I don't understand what is the advantage of the Eee PC.

Size and weight. The unit weighs 2.1 lbs. That's less than half the weight of your standard laptop, and about a third of the weight of any $400 laptop I've seen. It's also much smaller than a standard laptop, given that it only has a 7" screen. It's probably the same form factor as the mobile DVD players you can find everywhere now. That makes it perfect for carry on luggage on a flight, for example.

And, of course, it runs Linux. :)
hkwint

Nov 06, 2007
4:36 AM EDT
Quoting:but is it really abso-flaming-lutely necessary to have precisely cloned Windows XP "Silver" style title bars?

For people who are used to Windows, I guess yes, that's abso-flaming-lutely necessary. That means most computer users in West-Europe, the US and Japan. If you start Firefox for them, they browse without problems, but if they have to start it themselves, they say 'I don't want to use Firefox, I want to use IE" and "Why did my icon change? Change it back!"

For people who never used Windows, like a lot of people living in Thailand, China and other countries maybe, this is abso-flaming-lutely innecessary.

Since from its invention the thing is probably aimed at both markets, they chose to do it this way, I guess.
tuxchick

Nov 06, 2007
7:04 AM EDT
Quoting: If you start Firefox for them, they browse without problems, but if they have to start it themselves, they say 'I don't want to use Firefox, I want to use IE" and "Why did my icon change? Change it back!"

More proof for my theory that natural selection simply isn't effective with people, and it needs our help.
jdixon

Nov 06, 2007
9:49 AM EDT
...that natural selection simply isn't effective with people...

Oh, natural selection works fine with people. But governments the world over have been doing their best to minimize its effects for generations. And they've been far more successful than I would like.
jacog

Nov 06, 2007
11:30 PM EDT
Well, I have to agree about natural selection not working with people. Not anymore anyway. We have this thing called "human rights" where everybody gets to have a chance, no matter how unfit they may be. While you can't really argue with it... it is somewhat unnatural.

Yeah... what jdixon said.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 07, 2007
12:12 AM EDT
We should just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 07, 2007
11:36 AM EDT
We have $199 desktops, albeit without a monitor included (though most everybody either has one at the ready or can get one for free out of somebody's garage).

What we need is the $199 laptop. I know that $300 laptops are in the works (including one from Everex that runs the gOS version of Ubuntu ... and which will be sold by Wal-Mart), and that will be huge.

But a $199 laptop should be doable -- and we all should have it already.
jdixon

Nov 07, 2007
12:26 PM EDT
> But a $199 laptop should be doable -- and we all should have it already.

I agree, and the Eee PC was supposed to be just such a device. Unfortunately, it's selling for $400 instead. :(

You can get pretty good used laptops from Intrecha Outlet and other similar folks for between $250 and $350. We picked up a used IBM Thinkpad A22 for $260 (including shipping) for my wife from them. They come with no OS.

They're at http://www.intechraoutlet.com/rbwww/home/
Sander_Marechal

Nov 07, 2007
1:59 PM EDT
A coworker of mine told me today that the Eee on sale is the more expensive 4Gb version and that a 2 Gb version without a webcam will be shipping later at a cheaper price. I haven't been able to confirm that though. Has any of you seen that?
jdixon

Nov 08, 2007
9:53 AM EDT
> I haven't been able to confirm that though. Has any of you seen that?

See http://eeepc.asus.com/en/product.htm for the details.

I don't really thing a 2GB unit would meet my needs, unfortunately. And the built in web cam does sound like it might be useful.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 08, 2007
1:42 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't really thing a 2GB unit would meet my needs, unfortunately.

If it's significantly cheaper I might pick up one. Depending on my funds at that time and the predictions about the next OpenMoko (I really, really want one).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!