So who is in the picture?

Story: Editor PromotionTotal Replies: 59
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Nov 06, 2007
7:59 AM EDT
Is that Sander or Scott?

Congratulations, Sander, and many happy postings!
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 06, 2007
8:02 AM EDT
Its Sander, click on the pic!
Bob_Robertson

Nov 06, 2007
8:28 AM EDT
> click on the pic!

Oh piffle, if you're going to make it _easy_, how are conspiracy theorists like me going to figure it out?
tuxchick

Nov 06, 2007
9:08 AM EDT
Yes, it's very unfair. Harrumph!
hkwint

Nov 06, 2007
9:34 AM EDT
Congrats, Sander! Since you're doing a lot more for LXer than I do, you really deserved it.
jdixon

Nov 06, 2007
10:02 AM EDT
Congratulations. Hopefully it includes some type of increased compensation in addition to the increased responsibility. :)
NoDough

Nov 06, 2007
10:16 AM EDT
> Hopefully it includes some type of increased compensation...

I've got a feeling they multiplied his pay by a factor of 5... no, wait, 10.... yeah, that's it. A factor of 10!
land0

Nov 06, 2007
11:52 AM EDT
Congratulations Sander,

I know you will do a great job!

techiem2

Nov 06, 2007
12:16 PM EDT
Congrats!
tuxchick

Nov 06, 2007
12:18 PM EDT
Yes, congratulations Sander!
dinotrac

Nov 06, 2007
12:38 PM EDT
Dunno.

Given the gaggle of goofy geeks going great guns and giving no ground, condolences might be more appropriate.
tuxchick

Nov 06, 2007
12:47 PM EDT
dino, I was about to agree with you until I read the Great Oxygen Icons Theft story: http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2007/11/open-and-responsible.html

In a nutshell, the artists of these icons posted them on a public server under both the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 and the GNU LGPL. Then erupted into an enormous hissy when some people had the gall to actually download and use them as the licenses permit.

Sooo...in comparison, LXer is a bastion of sanity. Sure, one or two of you people over there (hands waving vaguely) are stubborn to a degree that baffles normal people, but most Lxerers understand about respecting licenses and copyright, and that these represent actual legal obligations for both parties. Including the copyright holders and licensors.

So whatever this has to do with Sander getting promoted I'm not sure, but congratulations anyway!
jdixon

Nov 06, 2007
12:58 PM EDT
> I've got a feeling they multiplied his pay by a factor of 5... no, wait, 10...

Well, I started to say pay raise, then decided increased compensation might be more appropriate. :)
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 06, 2007
1:04 PM EDT
I am still trying to figure out what the factor of 5 or 10 over zero adds up too...

;-)
schestowitz

Nov 06, 2007
1:53 PM EDT
Congrats, Sander!
wjl

Nov 06, 2007
2:26 PM EDT
Yeah, congrats from me as well - you really deserve it, man...
Sander_Marechal

Nov 06, 2007
3:13 PM EDT
Aww... you're making me blush.

Thanks for the compliments and the vote of confidence you all :-)
henke54

Nov 06, 2007
10:12 PM EDT
gefeliciteerd Sander ;-)
dinotrac

Nov 07, 2007
12:11 AM EDT
>gefeliciteerd Sander ;-)

Showoff.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 07, 2007
5:00 AM EDT
> Sure, one or two of you people over there (hands waving vaguely) are stubborn to a degree that baffles normal people...

I wondered why my ears were burning.
henke54

Nov 07, 2007
6:16 AM EDT
>Showoff.

nope... ;-P ... it's a Flemish congrats to a Dutchman... ;-)

http://images.google.be/images?q=gefeliciteerd&hl=nl&um=1&ie...
dinotrac

Nov 07, 2007
7:09 AM EDT
>nope... ;-P ... it's a Flemish congrats to a Dutchman... ;-)

Or is that phlegmish? It can be hard to tell at times, you know.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 07, 2007
7:13 AM EDT
Dank je wel Henke54 :-)
ColonelPanik

Nov 07, 2007
8:11 AM EDT
Sander still Rules!

Bob_Robertson, You said "baffles normal people..." who is normal? Where is "hands waving vaguely"?

Bob_Robertson

Nov 07, 2007
9:17 AM EDT
Col. Pink, I didn't write that. TuxChick did.

I took her reference to individuals who are, ah, somewhat predisposed to particular positions on some subjects, to be including me, since I have at times espoused very strong (ok, utterly inflexible) opinions on some things.

To answer your question, there is no "normal" individual. That is one of the primary reasons that central planning is always less efficient than a distributed, "free", market. Only where the barrier to entry is minimal can someone make a profit serving a very small market segment no matter what that segment may be or how transient, while central planning must fit everyone into a limited number of definable archetypes.

> Where is "hands waving vaguely"?

I'm sorry, the answer is too vague. Try again later.
jdixon

Nov 07, 2007
9:20 AM EDT
> ...there is no "normal" individual...

By definition, anyone who frequents this site can't be considered "normal". Normal people use Windows, not Linux.
tuxchick

Nov 07, 2007
9:31 AM EDT
Y'all "stubborn" folks do realize I said that tongue-in-cheek, right? "Hands waving vaguely" was in lieu of pointing fingers at certain individuals, and reinforcing my own sense of utter rationality and being right on everything, even though SOME of you don't seem to recognize this.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 07, 2007
9:48 AM EDT
Normal NORMAL!?!?!

Not me, no way, normal is Evil!!

Normal people are the ones where you find bodies buried in their back yards or sending bomb and anthrax letters to bosses and loved ones or shooting their friend in the face while quail hunting...

;-)

dinotrac

Nov 07, 2007
10:27 AM EDT
>normal is Evil!!

Scott --

Never have I agreed with you more!

I believe that all of the normal people should be picked up, locked up, and drugged up so that there will be enough room for the rest of me...er, us.
hkwint

Nov 07, 2007
12:35 PM EDT
Quoting:Hopefully it includes some type of increased compensation

Yes, as far as I can dig up from my plagued memory it comes with the great powers that one can only gain by means of earning it from what's known as the community- to conquer over the great powers of good and evil that reside on this global virtual hypertext-world, at least on the LXer portion of it... Although, I suppose.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 07, 2007
12:45 PM EDT
But... it looks so good on a resume!

Editor, I mean, not "normal".
Sander_Marechal

Nov 07, 2007
2:17 PM EDT
Quoting:normal is Evil!!

Quoted for truth. Any sign of normalcy on my part should be considered as a sign that something is very seriously wrong. I'd hate being normal. Or at least, I'd hate being what most people would consider to be "normal". Pretty much in the same way as I'd hate ever growing up, because around these parts growing up seems to mean "loosing your imagination" and "abandoning your dreams".

Speaking of dreams, I'd *highly* recommend that everyone of you watch Randy Paush's "Last Lecture". Randy is a professor at Carnegie Mellon University. CMU has a series of talks by professors in which they talk as if it were there last lecture. Randy found out that he has terminal cancer, so it really is his "last lecture". His talk is called "How to achieve your childhood dreams". The entire video is about an hour and 45 minutes long, of which Randy's speech is about an hour and 15 minutes. Watch it. It'll be the best 105 minutes you ever spend.

Google Video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3115188410730134929

There's also a 250 Mb WMV of the lecture. It used to be on Randy's website but it's gone now and redirects to Google Video instead. I guess the bandwidth bill was running up too high. If anyone here wants the higher quality WMV, post below and I'll put it up for download temporarily.

Watching this will be my task to you, young grasshopper ;-)
gus3

Nov 07, 2007
5:11 PM EDT
Yes, please! A private message to let me know you've posted it will be greatly appreciated. My connection is via cell phone, in a painful no-man's-land between 56K dial-up and DSL.

And congratulations, you've earned it!
Sander_Marechal

Nov 07, 2007
10:07 PM EDT
Randy Paush's page says the video is under a CC-by-nc-nd license, so I can put it up for public download. It'll take some time to upload to my high-bandwidth server.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 08, 2007
1:30 AM EDT
It's uploaded. Get it here: http://www.jejik.com/sander/temp/last-lecture.wmv

Licensed under CC-by-nc-nd: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
ColonelPanik

Nov 08, 2007
6:55 AM EDT
Sander Rules, albeit abnormally.
jezuch

Nov 08, 2007
7:42 AM EDT
Quoting:Any sign of normalcy on my part should be considered as a sign that something is very seriously wrong.

...that something is not normal? ;)

Funny thing, this "I'd hate to be normal" was my motto when I was younger :) Now I know I'm a geek, and this supersedes this motto as geeks are by definition abnormal ;)
dcparris

Nov 08, 2007
7:50 AM EDT
Well, if no one is normal, then doesn't that mean it's normal to be abnormal? And thus, we are *all* normal.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 08, 2007
7:59 AM EDT
Don...Your scaring me...

:-)
Bob_Robertson

Nov 08, 2007
8:12 AM EDT
> And thus, we are *all* normal.

But! ...but... Ooooo! I hate it when that happens!
dinotrac

Nov 08, 2007
8:39 AM EDT
>And thus, we are *all* normal.

I feel better now. Wait...I feel worse.

Wait --- should I take meds?

Maybe I should just shoot up the Post Office.

Wait -- I'm not a postal worker.

It's SOOOOOO hard to figure all this stuff out.

Wait -- no, it isn't.

It doesn't matter.

Does it?
Bob_Robertson

Nov 08, 2007
8:56 AM EDT
> It doesn't matter. Does it?

Go not to a lawyer for advice, for he will tell you both yes and no.

...wait, that's "Elves".
jdixon

Nov 08, 2007
9:26 AM EDT
> Wait --- should I take meds?

Yes. Now, as to what meds....

Hmm, I'm guessing something with a high alcohol content is probably called for. :)
ColonelPanik

Nov 08, 2007
3:47 PM EDT
That's Elvis?
gus3

Nov 08, 2007
6:53 PM EDT
"We're all unique."

"I'm not!"
azerthoth

Nov 08, 2007
8:26 PM EDT
I have no worries.

"Normal is what everyone else is, that you are not"

My personal phobia is "sane" people. Anyone who claims that they are sane, is usually wrapped to tight to realize how crazy that sounds.
gus3

Nov 08, 2007
11:43 PM EDT
I just watched the video. Wow! He's one of the most "in the moment" people I've ever heard speak.

If I can figure out the MPlayer command line to convert it to video CD, I'll be taking this to my parents' place to watch. Any LXers got ideas for converting WMV to video CD?
Sander_Marechal

Nov 09, 2007
12:06 AM EDT
Use VLC or Gstreamer's gst-launch command?
wjl

Nov 09, 2007
12:46 AM EDT
Sander,

I also downloaded and watched Randy Paush's last lecture, and wow - it's worth it! Thanks for providing it (and sorry if I misused your bandwidth instead of getting the mpeg4 file from the official site).

cheers, wjl
Sander_Marechal

Nov 09, 2007
2:31 AM EDT
No need to apologize. Anyone can download it from my server. It's CC licensed and my server isn't bandwidth-capped. Just don't digg it or something, or else I'll get dozens on people downloading it *at the same time* and that might be a problem.
hkwint

Nov 11, 2007
7:08 AM EDT
gus3: You're right, you're unique, just like the other 6 billion people on this planet!

About conversion: You tried ffmpeg? Please take a glance at: http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg-doc.html#SEC5

It's from the command line, I hope that is not a problem.
gus3

Nov 11, 2007
7:21 PM EDT
Thanks anyway, but I checked my parents' DVD player, and it doesn't support video CD's. :( So conversion is a moot question.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 12, 2007
3:26 AM EDT
Gus, try AviToVob, http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/wiki?AviToVob

Just make sure to burn the resultant to a DVD-R rather than a DVD+R, much more likely to play in your parents DVD player if it is mono-format. Even my super multi-format one that does all kinds of video CDs and jpg and mp3 won't read DVD+R, only DVD-R.

gus3

Nov 12, 2007
8:09 AM EDT
No DVD burner here, only a CD-RW. Hence the insistence on a video CD.

Playing the WMV with GeexBox is still an option, but not a comfortable one for my parents.
techiem2

Nov 12, 2007
9:18 AM EDT
How about DVD-on-CD? i.e. DVD format but burned to a CD? Of course, you may have to tweak quality options and such to make it fit.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 12, 2007
9:55 AM EDT
[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000100005 50011747 1036506653&name=DVD Burner]http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=...[/url]

I really like the Optiarc 7170, and quite reasonably priced.

azerthoth

Nov 13, 2007
3:35 AM EDT
Gus3, there is a GUI driven program called devede, it will do VCD's as well as DVD's and it will take nearly any format you throw at it. It doesnt burn then, you can use K3B or what have you to do that, it creates an .iso image. A heads up though, it does have an anoying habit of crashing when you add the video file(s). You have to kill it via command line and try again. Once it you actually get it to take the file though it works like a dream. Even allowing tweaking of all the audio and video bit rates.
flavakirl

Apr 30, 2008
5:06 AM EDT
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows how I could download 'The Last Lecture' by Randy Paush. I heard it was so moving and would like to watch it.

Scott_Ruecker

Apr 30, 2008
5:36 AM EDT
Here is a link to it on google video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5700431505846055184
Bob_Robertson

Apr 30, 2008
6:20 AM EDT
Randy's CMU project, "Alice", also has a Linux version now that v2 is out.

http://www.Alice.org/

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!