Author doesn't understand costs of development

Story: The Laws of Open Standards Broken by Interoperability Total Replies: 3
Author Content
DarrenR114

Dec 04, 2007
12:36 PM EDT
To do things *his* way would force companies to basically scrap products that are working and meet a customer need - though not to any open standard. Think about that - the costs for software development would soar and the products that are so sorely needed would become prohibitively expensive due to re-development costs.

Perhaps the author believes that any such non-compliant code should have been written to comply with such open standards. The only problem is that for most software being used, there were no "open standards" to comply with.

Hence the necessity, and absolute need, for "interoperability" plug-ins and modifications.

But considering this is the same "pie-in-the-sky" anti-business idealist that contributes to "boycottnovell," I don't expect that he'll ever "get it."

Software that isn't used is pointless, and continually calling for "boycotts" instead of compromise is just plain idiocy.
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 04, 2007
12:53 PM EDT
I recently saw an IBM commercial and the 'Boss' says, "No, the point of innovation is to make money"

Welcome to the new vocabulary..

tracyanne

Dec 04, 2007
12:57 PM EDT
Quoting: Perhaps the author believes that any such non-compliant code should have been written to comply with such open standards. The only problem is that for most software being used, there were no "open standards" to comply with.

Then open standards need to be formalised for it.

I'm happy to bash this bloke for his BoycottNovell rubbish, but he actually talks good sense in this article.
DarrenR114

Dec 04, 2007
1:02 PM EDT
The point of any enterprise, be it a non-profit charity or a commercial business, is, and always has been, to bring in revenue so that goods and/or services (aka "the product") may be provided.The boss in that commercial is simply restating an age-old historical truth about life.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!