middle of the road

Story: What Not to Buy Yourself for ChristmasTotal Replies: 22
Author Content
shmget

Dec 12, 2007
6:51 AM EDT
"This advice is intended for middle-of-the-road tech consumers."

Apparently his concept of 'middle' is heavily weighted on the dumb side. Come to think of it... he might be right on that.
jdixon

Dec 12, 2007
7:07 AM EDT
Of course, his lukewarm endorsement of the OLPC directly contradicts his no Linux policy. I wonder if he even knows that.
tuxchick

Dec 12, 2007
7:17 AM EDT
Meh. The whole article is dim. Put it under "what not to read for christmas'
Sander_Marechal

Dec 12, 2007
7:26 AM EDT
Hehehe. He recommended a Zune. Wasn't that thing already buried even by MS itself?
land0

Dec 12, 2007
7:34 AM EDT
@tuxchick roflol
techiem2

Dec 12, 2007
7:49 AM EDT
LOL I agree with TC. I'm scratching my head on the whole thing.

One of my favorites is:
Quoting: Do buy: Any laptop with a widescreen.

Standard 4:3 aspect ratios are yesterday's news, and not just because it's hard to play widescreen video on them.

A widescreen gives you more screen real estate, so you can run e-mail and the AOL Instant Messenger window next to each other without hiding anything on either interface.

Anyone who has actually run the calculations knows that you don't really get more real estate. You just move it from the bottom to the side. However his point is semi-valid.
shmget

Dec 12, 2007
9:39 AM EDT
"Anyone who has actually run the calculations knows that you don't really get more real estate."

Since the size of screens are given as the length of their diagonal, you actually, for a given 'size', get less 'real-estate' with a widescreen (16:9) than a 4:3
gus3

Dec 12, 2007
10:19 AM EDT
25 inch diagonal on 4:3 screen:

16 inches x 9 inches = 144 square inches

25 inch diagonal on a 25:1 screen:

25 square inches

Very close diagonal measurements, vastly different screen sizes.
tuxchick

Dec 12, 2007
10:55 AM EDT
"Middle of the road" is where you see the flattened corpses.

Watching movies on a laptop seems like a waste of time to me, but then I'm am old fogie who still has an actual TV and DVD player. I read somewheres that widescreen LCD panels cost less to manufacture than the squarish panels, and yes, as us smart LXers know, a 15" widescreen is fewer square inches of screen real estate than a standard 15" widescreen.
theboomboomcars

Dec 12, 2007
11:41 AM EDT
It also seems odd that he says Vista will speed up your system. I guess after you've done all the upgrading to run it your system will be faster, though you probably wont notice through the extra bloat.

Oh well, you can't always expect a good article.
hkwint

Dec 12, 2007
11:56 AM EDT
You people (that would be, my fellow LXer commenters above) really didn't understand what that writer meant, did you?

He said: What not TO BUY for Christmas!

(Read that again ten times if you still don't get it)

How many of you, except tracyanne, actually BOUGHT Linux? I'm sure as hell I didn't!

BTW Also I never _bought_ Windows I have to admit, but probably software pirates like I was back then aren't among the intended audience of FOX.
azerthoth

Dec 12, 2007
12:17 PM EDT
gus, 25 diag does != 25 square inches. You still need height and width which can vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. As an exaple if your 25 diag was actually 24 x 20 you get 480 sq inches (those numbers were pulled from the air, not any real measurement.)
herzeleid

Dec 12, 2007
3:18 PM EDT
> How many of you, except tracyanne, actually BOUGHT Linux? I'm sure as hell I didn't!

Good on tracyanne if she did buy it.

I started buying slackware from cdrom.com back in the 90s, then bought every version of redhat from 4.0 to 9. I've been buying suse since 8.0.

I vote with my wallet. I want linux to succeed. and that doesn't happen by trying to starve out the linux vendors in some misguided revolutionary zeal.

jdixon

Dec 12, 2007
4:00 PM EDT
> How many of you, except tracyanne, actually BOUGHT Linux?

Not this year, but I tend to pay for Slackware every few releases. I'll probably buy the next release.
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 12, 2007
4:26 PM EDT
actually BOUGHT Linux?

I bought SuSE 10.0 in the box when it came out just to say to myself that I had found and bought Linux off the shelf.

Burning an ISO is like riding a bike, once you how to, you never forget. Or some such thing..

azerthoth

Dec 12, 2007
4:57 PM EDT
Bought ... no, donated to distro of choice? yes.
ColonelPanik

Dec 12, 2007
6:26 PM EDT
Yep, those expensive books w/cheap CD RH 0.1 or something And one w/Caldera

Then Libranet, DLed the free one and had my first working Linux box. Bought the next Libranet and it worked very well.

But since Ubuntu it is free as in gratis and free as in Libre
gus3

Dec 12, 2007
8:59 PM EDT
azerthoth:

Pythagorean theorem.

25" x 1" gives a 25.02" diagonal. Close enough.

24" x 20" gives a 31.24" diagonal.
hkwint

Dec 12, 2007
9:05 PM EDT
OK, seems I was wrong and I am the only one free-riding, though I did donate to the FSF.
gus3

Dec 13, 2007
12:23 AM EDT
bought, no. purchased swag with clever SubGenius Bob logo, heck yeah!
jezuch

Dec 13, 2007
2:34 AM EDT
Quoting:OK, seems I was wrong and I am the only one free-riding, though I did donate to the FSF.

You're not alone here (unfortunately?) I installed Debian as my first (and last) Linux and cherished my freedom among gratis stuff ever since ;) But I promise that when I stop being a starving student I'll even subscribe to LWN ;)
number6x

Dec 13, 2007
5:20 AM EDT
Colonel,

I miss Libranet.

It was probably the best debian based distro ever released. Mepis and Ubuntu are ok, but Libranet was rock solid, easy to use and pure debian.

I paid for a few copies of Libranet to support John Danzig and his work.
ColonelPanik

Dec 13, 2007
5:30 AM EDT
number6x, Libranet was a great distro, I had lots of respect for Jon and Tal. The community, mainly the forum, drove me away. But if it wasn't for Libranet I would have given up on Linux.

Just bought two OLPC lappies, Does that count as buying Linux?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!