It just keeps gettin' better and better.

Story: Screenshots Of Damn Small Linux 4.2.Total Replies: 15
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 21, 2007
10:09 AM EDT
I have been using DSL off and on since 2.something and it has never ceased to wow me.

In the space of 50megs these people have created a clean, multi-functional, extendable OS and they continue to improve its programs and tools. They continue to find ever more innovative ways to squeeze more programs into and more functionality out of just 50megs.

It just blows my mind, I think it's one of the coolest things about Open Source software and a world class example of how FOSS facilitates creativity.

50 megs! It still kills me..

I can't fit thirty pictures inside 50megs let alone an entire operating system..

;-)
tuxchick

Dec 21, 2007
10:19 AM EDT
Oh Scott, DSL is a toy. I mean, compare it to a real operating system like Windows Vista. Seven years and billions of dollars to create the finest 15 gigabytes (that's right, gigabytes! Not your wizened, insignificant little megabytes) of purest Crisco ever. And it comes with Notepad and everything. Does DSL have Notepad? No!

I rest my case.

Seriously, DSL is very amazing. I use Pyramid Linux and Voyage Linux on homegrown routers and access points, and without X or any productivity software they squeeze into 48 MB. Quite a feat to do what DSL does.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 21, 2007
10:52 AM EDT
DSL is very solid. And it's easy to beef it up with the MyDSL extensions. I trade off between DSL and Debian with Xfce on my Compaq Armada 7770dmt laptop (233 MHz, 64 MB RAM). I really enjoy working with live CDs that are meant to be run that way (instead of being slow demonstrations of what an installed system will work like). I volley between DSL, Puppy and Knoppix, depending on the hardware and what I'm doing with it.
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 21, 2007
1:26 PM EDT
Vista Knowledge Flaunter! I knew it was 15 gigs but I didnt want to just go around scaring people with the size of my Vista knowledge.. :-)

15 gigs and you can't feasibly put it on a hard drive smaller than 100g.

Steven_Rosenber

Dec 21, 2007
1:35 PM EDT
I imagine the Vista install disc is DVD only. Is it more than one disc?

(Haven't done a Windows install since Win 2000.)
tuxchick

Dec 21, 2007
1:48 PM EDT
When I bought my new Thinkpad (T61- oo lala!) I chose hastalavista business edition, because unfortunately my work requires that I actually pay occasional attention to dommedwinduhs. As is the trend these days, I had to burn my own restore disks- a 2-DVD set. The typical all-or-nothing restore, no actual rescue tools. The last time I used a windoze rescue disk was the boot floppy that you make from windows 98. They haven't made a better one since.

Steven_Rosenber

Dec 21, 2007
2:09 PM EDT
I can't believe they don't ship the disks. If you don't burn them immediately, by the time you need them, you won't be able to burn them.
extradudeguy

Dec 21, 2007
2:18 PM EDT
A big Puppy fan myself (ducks), but I can certainly understand the appeal given with DSL.
ColonelPanik

Dec 21, 2007
4:03 PM EDT
TC, You do not have to use that other OS. Make people conform to Linux, after all you are a guru in our world. helios wants you to only use Linux. Are you going to disobey helios?
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 21, 2007
4:26 PM EDT
The key to happiness with Damn Small Linux is running it totally in RAM.

When you boot, use the toram cheat code, and you won't have to access the CD during your session.

This even works for me in 64 MB, but DSL does make use of my Linux swap file on the hard drive. Not a big deal, since I'm using the hard drive to save my files, and using the swap file is faster than loading apps from the CD. All the "pain" is in the boot, which takes longer because the CD needs extra time to load into memory.
vainrveenr

Dec 27, 2007
12:04 PM EDT
Like both DSL and KNoppix for their flexibility and their so-called "Cheat Codes". DSL seems somewhat usurped by Puppy, other more minimalist general distros, and such special-purpose distros as SystemRescueCD. Similarly for Knoppix with its competing MEPIS, PCLOS and (of course!) the great X/K/Ubuntus.

BTW, today is the day Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 "Etch" is updated to 4.0R2 (see http://www.debian.org/News/2007/20071227 ) Why has Knoppix NOT been updated by Klaus since almost exactly a year ago, from its current version 5.1.1 released on January 5th, 2007 ??

azerthoth

Dec 27, 2007
12:22 PM EDT
vainrveenr, cause it works :)

I have it booted up on my monster-in-laws computer that she shipped to me to try and bring back to life. I have almost managed to back all the garbage off of it ... that woman is a data packrat with no organizational skills. Glad that knoppix was able to mount my 80G jump drive because at a rough guess I'll end up with about 13 Gig of stuff I didnt really want to have to call her about and sort through.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 27, 2007
3:37 PM EDT
In a way, it's nice to not be burning a new Knoppix disc every month or so (like I seem to do with Puppy and DSL). And since Knoppix works so well with my current hardware, I'm pretty happy with it as is.
pogson

Dec 27, 2007
8:22 PM EDT
KNOPPIX is pretty well perfected. I used it to install over top of ME last month. I know Debian was a better choice, but I had used KNOPPIX to check compatibility and an evil impulse took hold...
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 28, 2007
11:30 AM EDT
Debian has live CD's too -- http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/ -- but I don't think they're designed to have a save file and be used for anything more than trying out the OS and checking for compatibility. And they don't work as installers, either.
jdixon

Dec 29, 2007
8:37 PM EDT
> The last time I used a windoze rescue disk was the boot floppy that you make from windows 98. They haven't made a better one since.

Allow me to plug UBCD4WIN again (this must be the 5th time or so I've mentioned it). If you're stuck supporting Windows, it can't be beat for fixing problems, though you need a valid spare XP license to use it legally. See http://www.ubcd4win.com/ for all the necessary information.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!